V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for those alumni of the Bubs forum we ALL were more than nervous about this subject and exchanged a TON of emails.

So for the newer members, be sure to check your front axle bolt fairly often--kinda like your tire pressure.

There are many of our RODDERS that have been shocked to find that it was loose.

The bolt should be torqued at 55 ft lbs according to the Shop Manuel. If you want to, mark the newly torqued bolt and a flat area next to it with a water proof magic marker so that you can easily see if it has loosened.

Harley has just recently decided to QUIETLY add a washer there on the newer models. So if you would like a washer, one I am SURE your dealer will be more than happy to help you out --RIGHT POLIZZO??? (I try and help POLIZZO's Blood Pressure whenever I can since he loves the H-D Mother Ship).

Polizzo--See you in Daytona??

Regards

V-Rod 1 FL

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes, I love the HD stealership network, almost as much as I love my IRS agent, or catching the flu. Yes, VROD 1 FL, I'll be making my first trip to Daytona Bike Week, we'll have to make some plans, hook up somewhere. Any Daytona experienced VROD owners, VROD 1 FL, know a common, popular place we can meet in the area? Calling all VROD "badboys" to Daytona........lets share a beer, tell tales.......

·
Banned
490 Posts
Polizzio said:
Calling all VROD "badboys" to Daytona........lets share a beer, tell tales.......
I don't mind telling tales, but I don't want to share my beer with anyone... I'll be thirsty after all that riding.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Drew,

I didn't actually mean we have to share a common beer, it just kinda sounded that way, lol. I meant throw a few back, tell tall tales (my VROD is able to leap tall buildings, faster than a speeding bullet), glimpse the fine scenery, take it all in..........ahhhh, it does sound good!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was surprised at my 5000 mile service to find mine loose. The dealer (Latus Motors in Spokane, WA) actually found it and told me about it.

Live n' Learn from others.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Sometimes you feel like a nut...

I discovered the front wheel nut was loose when I added the chrome covers about a month after buying my V-Rod. It kind of shocked me at the time - but, while it is annoying, its not really very likely that the front wheel would come off, even if the nut came completely off the bike. The front axles would have to slide out of the bottom of the forks, and the pinch bolts would have to let go also.

Most motorcycles, even the Japanese ones, need a certain amount of wrenchin'. Loctite, lockwashers, etc. all help; but the fact of the matter is that bikes endure a lot more vibration than cars, and the generally smaller size of the fasteners used to hold things on means that they have a tendency to come loose over time.

I'll be interested to see what the washer Harley is giving away to V-Rod owners looks like. Should I make a special trip down to my dealership, or can I just pick one up at local hardware store?

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Re: Sometimes you feel like a nut...

VRodDrew said:
I discovered the front wheel nut was loose when I added the chrome covers about a month after buying my V-Rod.
That's why I haven't put the chrome covers on mine yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts