V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'98 FLHRCI - I have about 1" of up and down play in my bars. Feels like they are rubber mounted. Is this normal? I suspect that when I laid it down last week I broke something or knocked something loose. I didn't notice this before the "incident".
I can't determine how to get to the handlebar clamps to check them. The chrome cover has no exposed fasteners. Do I have to split the headlight nacelle to get to the clamp?

Yea, yea, I know. Go buy a freakin manual! LOL

I will. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Holy Cow man you better do something!!! Lay it down and now you have an inch of play in the handlebars. That's just plain crazy man. :eek:

·
Registered
758 Posts
It isn't normal at all!!!

Break out the tools and get intimate with it for a couple of hours on the weekend. The bike and you will both appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Ain't got to take off the nacelle. Just take a 3/4 inch socket and tighten the riser nuts. You get to them from under the triple tree. They will probably turn about half a turn. Your handlebar bushings just have a little wear. It's no big deal. Takes about 5 minutes.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
'98 model? I be giving some serious thought to changing out the damper bushings for some new polyurethane versions. I just changed these out on my SoftTail and took a total of 40 minutes. The OEM bushings get old and hard with age and the newer polyurethane models are great. Get a buddy over, buy him a beer and go for it.

My $.02

Ride safe !!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
booner said:
'98 FLHRCI - I have about 1" of up and down play in my bars. Feels like they are rubber mounted. Is this normal? I suspect that when I laid it down last week I broke something or knocked something loose. I didn't notice this before the "incident".
I can't determine how to get to the handlebar clamps to check them. The chrome cover has no exposed fasteners. Do I have to split the headlight nacelle to get to the clamp?

Firstly I think you should not ride your bike till you give it a thorough check, the handlebars coming loose on you is not something you want to fool around with. Remove the nacelle and give it a thorough check. The clamps might have come loose, its dangerous.

Off the top of my head, here's how you get to the bars.

- remove chrome ring screw at bottom of head light
- remove chrome ring by pulling up (there's a catch on top)
- remove 7 phillips screws to free headlight housing (there're more than 7, only remove the black ones)
- Unplug headlight wires, just pull them off, 3 of them, 1 connected to high beam bulb, just remove the bulb gently
- Remove screw securing handlebar shroud, there's a small nut under the nacelle mating with screw, reach your hand in to hold, don't loose this
- use your fingernail to pry off the fork lock cover (the piece that says lock/unlock)
- under it are 2 screws, remove them. If yours is HDI model, they have no slots, use a centerpunch and hammer, tap them counterclockwise and remove

You may not have to remove the nacelle but if you do
- remove 4 acorn nuts securing passing lamp bracket and nacelle, remove them

You can probably get at the bars now, give them a thorough check.

The instructions above may have some things missing, or the order may be wrong, but its roughly like this. If you encounter difficulties ask again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
booner said:

Firstly I think you should not ride your bike till you give it a thorough check, the handlebars coming loose on you is not something you want to fool around with. Remove the nacelle and give it a thorough check. The clamps might have come loose, its dangerous.

- remove 7 phillips screws to free headlight housing (there're more than 7, only remove the black ones)
- Unplug headlight wires, just pull them off, 3 of them, 1 connected to high beam bulb, just remove the bulb gently
- Remove screw securing handlebar shroud, there's a small nut under the nacelle mating with screw, reach your hand in to hold, don't loose this
- use your fingernail to pry off the fork lock cover (the piece that says lock/unlock)
- under it are 2 screws, remove them. If yours is HDI model, they have no slots, use a centerpunch and hammer, tap them counterclockwise and remove

The instructions above may have some things missing, or the order may be wrong, but its roughly like this. If you encounter difficulties ask again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
booner said:

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....I think he heard you or do you stutter?:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
hogg831 said:
....I think he heard you or do you stutter?:D
Oo..Ooo...ppps....I...I...thought the reply didn't go through so I hit the send buttons one time too many!

:D Re-reading it, I made a mistake, the small nut under the nacelle holds the chrome strip that covers the hole on the top of the nacelle, remove it to remove the chrome strip. Putting it back is tricky and needs dexterity

I think the front screw (nearer to headlight) holding the handlebar shroud can just be removed, no nut holding it. It'll be tight if you have a tach mounted to it, use a small phillips bit and turn it with a 1/4 wrench. If not use a regular screwdriver.

Thats it I think.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm sorry, could you repeat that last part? LOL

hlpsg, Thanks for taking the time to give detailed intructions. They will help.

The "play" is not really loose, but they will move if you pull up and down.
I didn't think it should be that way, but I wanted to check. Thought there might have been some sort of vibration dampeing mount.

Thanks for all the posts.

Brent

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
hlpsg:D :D ...keep that sense of humor! Its needed around here!

·
Registered
103 Posts
booner said:
i'm sorry, could you repeat that last part? LOL

hlpsg, Thanks for taking the time to give detailed intructions. They will help.

The "play" is not really loose, but they will move if you pull up and down.
I didn't think it should be that way, but I wanted to check. Thought there might have been some sort of vibration dampeing mount.

Thanks for all the posts.

Brent
Glad to help. BTW the vibration dampeners will not allow your bars to move up and down, they are at the bottom of the risers and they are pretty hard. I think the clamps are loose (dangerous) so check them soon. Let us know what it was.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
helpsg, the bushings or dampeners as you call them will let the bars move up and down. I can push or pull mine up or down or twist them slightly sideways, that is why a lot of guys are recommending poly bushings over the rubber. Poly has less play than rubber.

·
Registered
103 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
helpsg, the bushings or dampeners as you call them will let the bars move up and down. I can push or pull mine up or down or twist them slightly sideways, that is why a lot of guys are recommending poly bushings over the rubber. Poly has less play than rubber.
Oh...I could be mistaken then. Mine still has the stock rubber ones and its rock solid. I'll try if I can shake them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Where do you get the Poly bushings ?
This happened to me and the dealer straighten them back for me. They are made to move under extreme pressure ?
thanks BS.........

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
big_sipi, J & P, Jireh, Custom Chrome, or any bike catalog has them. I often change to poly bushings when putting on a set of ape hangers or extra wide bars. They don't flex as much. With the stock bushings, it usually doesn't take much to turn the bars a little crooked. I still have the rubber ones in my Road King and have 39 inch wide bars. They are often crooked. I just turn 'em back straight and tighten the bolts a little. I need to put in the effort to change them, but have been to lazy to do it.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Inspection shows no damage. These rubber mounts do have quite a bit of play, more than I had noticed until I started looking. They were in good condition, but had the dealer been open on Sunday I would have changed them to poly.
I had a great "test ride" on Sunday afternoon.
Thanks for all the help. Really not a complicated task, but the excellent instructions saved me alot of time. It also makes me feel better to know I have some back-up.

Live and Learn

1 - 20 of 22 Posts