V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 Road King with 12" apes. Upgraded the separate bar clamps to the one piece style already. Trying to get them tight I have now stripped out one of the bolts. So, plan to helicoil all four tomorrow,
but, looking for any tricks to really secure em? Thinking of drilling clamp and into bar then using roll pin?
Any suggestions that have worked for you guys?

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
A couple roll pins will help, that and locktite. Ues the pins to index it, just be sure you have it right were you want it because once you index it, it ain't moving.

I would suggest replacing the head and not heilcoil, it is too critical of a part.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah kinda thought the same about the replace em thing.... Having the stretched one piece nacelle etc makes changing em out a REAL pain is the thing. Are you suggesting locktite on the bar/clamp area?

·
Banned
589 Posts
If I were going to try helicoil -- which is seemingly a stop-gap -- I'd think about over boring the hole, threading anew and larger, replacing the bolts in the larger size.

Then index them and roll pin.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's. Looked at the bagger nation brace, think I will duplicate those set screws in my clamp by drilling/tapping. Have the equipment to do so why not.... Might be a better plan than the roll pin? They thought so...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would redrill and tap the clamp with larger bolts.
Pinning the bars? I would be concerned with stress risers causing the bars to fail. Lots of vibration and pressure there.
YMMV

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thread inserts(Helicoils) will work fine if done correctly.
I would make sure that the clamp diameters are not worn.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
clamp type

There is a type of clamp where the bolts go through to actual nuts sunk into the opposite side of the clamp. Those are waaay stronger than anything threaded...Especially if you use at least grade 8 bolts. I have 14" Burly Narrow Apes and have never had an issue.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
A threaded block of metal is much stronger than a nut with a few threads in it. You being a machinist like me you should know that.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all. I ended up VERY CAREFULLY heli-coiling all four, and drilling/tapping my single piece top clamp and installing set screws. Red loctited the bar/clamp area, let set 48 hrs. I can not move those bars no matter what.... Success....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts