V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 FLSTC/i with D & D slip on pipes. They sound great, but they are too loud, and have that high rap rap sound. I'm lookin for a deep throaty sound. I want loud, but these give me a headache after an hour on the road. I live out in the wilderness and I haven't been able to find anyone with this bike with pipes that have the low sound I want. I hear lots of road kings and ultras with this deep throaty sound, and most of them are running v&H pipes. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ive tried the Screamin eagle pipes and they are not nearly loud enough for me.
Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try samsons ripsaws originals. I have them on my deuce and they have that deep throatey sound. Don`t beleive all the stories that they are to loud. Use the torque cones. Good Luck

·
Registered
686 Posts
Try Kerker pipes I have them (slip ons) and that is the sound they have, very deep rumbling sound. I think kerkers have been around a while and have that more or less classic Harley sound. I also do not like those real loud rappy sounding pipes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
V&H Long shots

·
Registered
22 Posts
You answered your own question....Get the Vance&Hines, Straightshots or LongShots. I have them on my Sportster and a couple of my friends have them on their Softail and Fatboy. You can't beat'em for that deep, throaty sound. Check the prices at this place first before you buy...www.mawonline.com
I don't work for 'em, just buy stuff at their great prices.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. Does anyone know the difference between the V&H long pipes and the pipes that are shorter as far as sound goes. Are the longer the pipes the more mellow they sound?? Do the shorter pipes, especially on a heritage softail sound louder to the rider because they come out at about the axle??
Thanks,, Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
short shots are loud, realy loud. a friend has them on a deuce. the shorter the pipe the louder. i have long shots on 01 fatboy, not real loud but it sounds good.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Until you buy the new ones...On the Screaming Eagale slip-on's, just remove the slip on from the bike, and pound a 1 1/2" dowel through and past the metal flap that divert's the exhaust into the baffle. Do it FROM the tail end of the pipe; look into the pipe with a light-- you will see what I mean. Stock they are 20% straight through, this will make them about 80%, and they sound deep and great! Yeah, I know, poor mans loud pipes...

·
Registered
135 Posts
How has the chrome held up on your V&H pipes?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Ive heard plenty of V&H longshots and to me they are one of the best all around sounding pipes. There not as good in the HP as say KW HP+ slip ons. Oh course they offer HP gaines over stock pipes.
Fact is the longer pipes offers more low end torque and the shoter pipes give better high RPM HP.
Good slip ons can yeld a little bit of both.
Go back to your SE and try them with the mods ksig sugested frist if that not good for you the londshots are a winner.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you have any questions when you open up the baffles-- shoot me an e-mail; I have done it on a few of my friends bikes-- they all run fine-- no popping, plugs are the right color etc.

Nice thing about doing that with the baffles, is that they end up somewhat adjustable, you can move the baffle over further, or less, depending on how much sound you want.

Mine is plenty loud, but still deep.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all that are responding.

Thanks for the info KSLG, I really appreciate it. I have both the screaming eagle 1 and the screaming eagle 2 pipes. They are both the staggered pipes. I have drilled the baffles from both of them. The # 1 pipes are just as dull sounding as the original pipes that come on the bike. They have lots of packing in them that comes out little by little. The sound of the # 2 pipes is much better, but not as throaty as I am looking for. I also have the D & D pipes. These pipes really make the bike run great. Much better than I can believe!! I have had them on for a year now and they sound great to everyone but me on the bike. I can't ride without earplugs or I actually get an earache. They have no baffle in them. I want loud, but not that loud for the rider if that makes sense. I hear many road kings that have V&H touring pipes that sound loud enough and really sound good while on the bike. I have ridden two of them. So thats what im looking for and I think the consensus here is that the long shots will give me what I want. I hope so, I am spending too much money on pipes. I do wonder if the new big shots in the long version will actually sound better than the long shots, as they are larger in diameter. Years ago I just went to the dealer and got the old pipes from the garbage in back and worked on them until they sounded the way I liked, then played with the carb until the bike would run. I now have the stage 2 kit and I dont have any problem with any of the pipes Ive tries so far on this bike, it runs fine and plugs look good on all of them.
Thanks again to all for the help and if anyone knows the difference in sound between the longshots and bigshots let me know.
adios, Bob

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I have a 00 lowrider with big shots. I have a friend with longshots on an 02 fatboy. The longshots have a much cleaner, deep, throaty sound. To me, the bigshots have a rough high pitched sound. The catch with bigshots is that it is 1 3/4 pipe all the way down with 2 1/2 chrome covers. The longshots and straightshots are 1 3/4 head pipes that run into 2 1/4 inch bodies and that is where the sound comes from. I have ordered straightshots for my bike because I like the staggered look better than the longshots. To me, the longer and bigger diameter pipes have a much better sound.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lowharley, thanks, I agree. I have the longshots on the bike now and my neighbor has bigshots. Much better sound with longshots.
Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you don't want to take the slip on's off and pound out the plug, you can just get a hole saw and cut the plug out. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

Boris

·
Registered
561 Posts
The only issue with totally cutting out the baffle, is that you can no longer adjust the flap if it ends up being too loud...

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just got the V&H BigShot Staggered's-- putting them on tuesday.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Put my straightshots on this week. The installation was not as easy as I thought. The sound and looks are exactly what i was wanting. Not extremely loud, but sounds good when you call on it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts