V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have owned multiple bikes in the past, but never could really afford my dream until lately. I am active duty military and looking to buy a used but in good condition low mileage Streetglide. Some things I am wondering are what years? and what mileage? what engine is important? I know some years the 88 ci ran a little hotter then the others? should I hold out and just go with a Dyna wide glide or Fatboy for my first bigger bike? I am 6'1 200lbs and my wife is pretty tall as well. so I would really appreciate some advice. My dream and passion is to be out there riding and I just want someone to steer me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
MOCO changed the frame for 2010 I believe...this improves handling and so is a factor you should consider if you look at an older one. Newer models also have ABS and some have a 103 ci engine.

I think the SG is a better choice than Dyna or Fatboy for a whole host of reasons, and especially if you are going to ride 2 up and/or go any sort of distance.

You might also take a close look at the Road Glide.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently purchased my first HD, a new 2011 SG (TC96), and could not be happier.

HD made several noteworthy upgrades/improvements to the Touring line in the 2009 model year, so my advice would be to find something in the 2009-later range. From 2009-2011, the stock motor was a TC96, but a Power Package was available as an option, and provided a TC103 and, in addition, ABS and Security.

IMHO, unless you like to tinker, the TC96 is plenty for two-up riding and cruising the superslabs.

Regarding mileage, I would recommend staying under the "excessive mileage" limits posted in NADA and KBB for the given model year.

Here are some helpful links to reviews that will get you up to speed on the recent changes made to the Street Glide:

Motorcycle Test Ride Review

Motorcycle.com Review

Thunder Press Review

Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 09 StreetGlide and you definately don't want anything under a 09. I have a friend with a 06 and after he rode mine a few times he has now got a 09 Harley Electra Glide. I will tell you the first mod you need to make to your new purchase if you get a 08 or later H.D. touring model you have to get a Vance N Hines Throttlepak. It makes the bike feel like a totally different bike and gets rid of the throttle lag that the throttle by wire bikes have. I know of three peole that have put one on including myself and it is unreal!

·
Registered
78 Posts
First off....
Thank you for your Service.

I have an 09 SG and love it. I believe 09 was the year they made some changes to that model, and from what I've read for the better.

To date I've made very little changes;

seat,

speakers, new for under $80.00 and there awesome for the money.
http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/...AP&ser=KAP&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

Taller windshield and then custom cut it to my height.

Custom Slip-on exhaust, other changes coming are wind deflector, tuner and A/C for now.

Good luck, hope this helped.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I always wanted the Streetglide and made the mistake of buying other models 1st only to trade in quickly. I have the 2010 and haven't even considered anything different since (well..did look at the changes to the 2011 - 103 with dual pipes but can always upgrade mine in time). Spend the extra cash to get the streetglide now and you'll save in the long run since you'll always be looking at them if you don't. Definitely a fun ride, I put 11k on in less than a year...Now if the rain would only stop I can get on with more this year.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
The 2009 was indeed the year they made over 200 changes to the touring bikes, from big changes like the frame, to small ones such as an LED light in the rear fender light and lic light.

Lots of low mile used bikes out there with the economy being crappy, best of luck in your search. And I would go with the touring bike if that is your dream. You'll just cost yourself money in the long run, and since you've ridden in the past, you should be fine!

Thanks for your service!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THanks for all the Input. I will be looking to probably get something used but later then 09 and trying to stay under 20,000. The Military sales does have some pretty good deals including that I can put a little piece of my paycheck towards a bike until I am happy, and then since I am overseas I am gonna try and save and get one right before I leave, and have it ready for me in the states as soon as I get home. That is a lot of good advice Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
No special deals for Military! Our pockets are the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com
Better look again At the AAFEs purchase programs.
Depending on how you go about it there can be some good savings. The best program is the one they have when you are deployed.
This is not the same as the dealer program.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
A different approach would be to find an Electra Glide Classic and make it appear as a Street Glide. It'll be much more comfy for 2-up riding, plus it'll cost less (SG's are just about the number one seller for HD).
My personal preference is nothing later than an '06 model. No TBW or "parent metal" cam bearings (just a hole in the cam plate). They can be had for cheap and can be modified to handle and have as much power as the 96" motor. You might find one with a 6 speed but the stock 5 speed gives the same mileage and has better ratios than the later models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Better look again At the AAFEs purchase programs.
Depending on how you go about it there can be some good savings. The best program is the one they have when you are deployed.
This is not the same as the dealer program.
X2 on the AAFEE's program...

IIRC, you either have to be stationed overseas, or TDY/Deployed there for more than 30 days. There's also some stipulations, like you cannot sell the bike for X amount of days/months after purchase.

The beauty of this program is, it allows you to choose which model/color you want... Years ago, AAFES would just buy a "pool" of bikes at the beginning of the year and you had to pick from that pool...but no longer...it's just like the car purchase program.

Also...be nice to your dealer...they don't make a dime off of the AAFES deals...(or so I was told by both a HD sales rep and an AAFES rep).

Good luck with your purchase!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts