V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to pass along your advice

A young lady at work has discussed buying a hugger with me. I told her that:

1. The sportster line in general is likely to go through some major revisions in the 2004 and this may not be the best time to buy one.

2. A smaller *** bike would be much better to learn on, say a 350-or 500, that she could pick up for a couple g's, and move onto a harley later. (she is clearly a g-rub)- but she only wants a harley.

3. I would think there are better bikes than a hugger in general. She's about 5'-7, 135 lbs, 25 yrs old is it possible she would be better off with a lowrider?

I would appreciate your advise on the subject. I do personally know a couple of lady riders, but none own harleys.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
I always advise ladies to get something smaller for a first bike but there are some ladies that can handle a big bike right off the bat.

I love my lowrider and would recommend it highly. Sometimes it is the price that is the deciding factor though - sportsters are definately cheaper.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is she planning or taking a MSF course or has she already taken one? If she is planning on the course, which I highly recommend, after she takes the it and sees how comfortable she is with the small bikes they use, she can decide which bike is right for her. For me after the course I sat on an array of bikes, none of which were Harley (didn't want to shell out that kind of money for a learning bike) The bigger bikes I sat on felt too heavy, I went with a 250 Honda Rebel, same size the MSF course used. Great little bike to learn on, Ran the hell out of it for 2 years then moved up to the OM's Heritage and now have my own Low Rider, which I love, but it's alot of bike for a beginner. I never ran a Sporty, so I can't help you out there, but I do know a few women who started out on them. I would say it's what ever she feels comfortable with after she takes the course. Some to real well with the course and move right up to a big bike, other like me are more comfy learning on a smaller bike and then moving up.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a hugger, but I'm also only 5'1 and 115 lbs, so I needed a smaller bike. I love my sporty, rides great, handles good. It also depends on what kind of riding she will be doing, short trips here and there, around town and maybe the few adventures, go with the sporty, but if she's planning on taking long trips go with a low rider, it'll be more comfortable

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have nothing but praise for the Hugger, my wife rides one and she is small and weighs about 110lbs. Her feet are flat on the ground and I don't have to worry about her tipping it. :)

Do they even make metric cruisers as low as the hugger, that the pipes won't burn your legs??

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for all your help, I ended up suggesting she buy a 250cc 2002 Virago and learn to ride on that for a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts