V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there everyone....i just moved here from New Zealand to the US. I love to ride. I have always had sports bikes, but have decided i want to get into touring in a more hardcore way. In fact i want to ride the 50 states!, and looking for advice.....was thinking about the Road King or the Heritage.....want i relaxed riding position, and am not into speed, jsut comfort.....have to admit i am a little scared of making the jump...anyone else been through this transition, or have advice on the best bike for me?

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Rent them both. We can't decide for you. Only do 49 states, that last one is a b!tch...Don't discount the electra-glide if you're planning touring.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Ditto. Rent several bikes.

And take your time.

Oh, the MoCo occasionally has the fleet out on demo rides. Look for those events. And amazingly, SOME (not all) dealers even have a bike or two that they will let you take out for a demo ride.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Was a sport bike guy first as well. Still ride a 996duc. Love my Roadglide, add that to your list to demo.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've owned Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Harley. I woulddn't trade my Road king for the whole lot. If you want to tour, the FL chassis is the only way to go. Much better ride than a softail.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
ULTRA CLASSIC to tour. That's all, folks!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No reason to have reservations. As large as the touring bikes are compared to sport bikes they are incredibly forgiving and it likely is one of the reasons the bikes are so popular.

If you can ride a large sportbike well you'll get used to the touring bikes within a day, mainly it's a question of learning the limitations so you would approach them rather conservatively.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Down to two!

thanx for all the feedback guys....what a great community the HOG comminty is! Anyway, today i rode the Heritage Classic, and the Roadking. Loved both, but felt that the Heritage handled better and was more manoverable....Question is "would this bike an ok bike to ride across the US?" what do you guys think? the engine is counter balanced and apparantly helps to reduce fatigue.....what do you guys think?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Everybody has different opinions on what is comfortable, try to ride your choices to find the feel YOU like, nobody can choose your bike for you.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Hey BHBandit,

...dude you gotta explain the handle:confused: .......... puhleeeseee hurry:D , with a vivid imagination I think it means.....:eek:

.....inquiring minds want to know:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Heritage probably gives the impression of better handling due to the lighter weight. The Roadking actually has less rake which theoretically should make low speed manuverability better. I have ridden both as well, and personally feel that the Roadking's rear suspension is much better at absorbing the impact from lousy roads. Due to a couple of bad lumbar discs, I feel pretty confident in this judgement. The counterbalanced engine really isn't that big of a deal. It even gets a little "buzzy" while travelling at "fun" speeds. I struggled trying to decide between the Heritage and Roadking for a year. I decided on the Roadking, and don't regret it one bit. With the rubber mounts, vibration really isn't a factor when travelling at speed. The FL chassis is definitely better for cross-country ventures in my book. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts