V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to dismantle my springer front end and change the steering head bearing and races,but the instructions say to weld a bead onto the race to get it out. I'm looking for a video to guide me . I can imagine wrecking the frame by welding the wriong thing,

·
Registered
566 Posts
There are several ways to remove the neck bearings from a harley frame. The welding technique is typically used when the tool is not available. Jims and several other companies make a tool specifically to remove and install harley neck bearings.

As for the welding, not sure why you need a video. If you can weld, it should be pretty obvious what is the bearing race and what is the frame. The weld goes on the race. All the way around. Once the old race is removed, the new race has to be pressed in. Getting the tool would be much easier.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are several ways to remove the neck bearings from a harley frame. The welding technique is typically used when the tool is not available. Jims and several other companies make a tool specifically to remove and install harley neck bearings.

As for the welding, not sure why you need a video. If you can weld, it should be pretty obvious what is the bearing race and what is the frame. The weld goes on the race. All the way around. Once the old race is removed, the new race has to be pressed in. Getting the tool would be much easier.
Well as for welding , although I passed my second year welding apprenticeship back in the 70's once I was released I didnt follow it up. I do have a welder here ,but am thinking that I'd have to lay on my back to do an overhead weld on the lower race , or turn the entire bike upside down,LOL . The local HD shop can do the whole job in 3.5 hours they say. Thats from when They first aproach the bike , to when the jiob's done and going out the door . $150 per hour isn't bad considering I'm hestitant to run a bead on the lower race , and by the time I buy the tool I'll probably spend $150 any way . Just me thinking out loud ..

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Buy the tool. To remove and reinstall both races will take half an hour max for someone that has never done it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The tool from George`s Garage Tools will pop those outer races out of the steering neck in no time.

You will also need to remove the lower inner race from the steering stem (the top inner race will lift out by hand).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts