V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a SG to keep my Sportster (no windshield) company. Took a 500 mile round trip this past weekend and I think my ears are permanently damaged! I love the look of the 4" deflector, but am convinced it's useless above 50 MPH. There's MUCH more wind noise than my "open" Sportster. I assume it's channeling all that air right onto the top of my helmet...just about where the visor meets the helmet. If I hunkered down, it was great. Anyway, I'd like some opinions as to what is the lowest screen I can get that'll save my ears, and still let me see over it. I'm about 5'10" with a 32" inseam.

Thanks in advance for your experience...don't really feel like buying 2-3 screens before I get it right. Also, looking at Clearview and Cee Bailey if any of ya'll have opinions or experience in that arena as well.

Ken

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I'm 6' w/ a 32" inseam and a tallboy seat.
The 9 1/2" works well for me, could stand to be maybe an inch higher for me, but would probably be just right for you.
Some folks swear by Cee Bailey, while I swear at them. I STILL have an open credit card dispute w/ them after a YEAR. Their customer service is crap, and good luck getting ahold of someone there who speaks English as a first language so you can have a prayer of explaining your problem and having it resolved.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Try doing a search on this forum for Clearview. I see you are familiar with
them. Alot of the Road Glide guys have them. Sounds like they work very
well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The windshield on my EG is the 6" smoked. I am 5'-10" and the air passes right over my head and I look over the top of the windshield when riding. It works well for me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a 7" on my Ultra and it is perfect for me. I am 5'9 and have about a
30" inseam. I can see over mine but the wind is over my head. I also have a Corbin seat which sits a little lower in the frame. Mine is a Cee Bailey and I really like the screen. It is a high quality part for a reasonable price. I couldn't comment about the customer service because I haven't really needed any. Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello Ken,

I'm 6' with a 34" inseam. I replaced my 4" shield with the 9.5" light tinted one from HD on my Street Glide. The top of the shield is about even with my nose/upper lip when sitting on the saddle, and the wind is deflected so as it hits at the very top of my helmet.

regards

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
kshapiro said:
...I assume it's channeling all that air right onto the top of my helmet...just about where the visor meets the helmet. If I hunkered down, it was great. Anyway, I'd like some opinions as to what is the lowest screen I can get that'll save my ears, and still let me see over it. I'm about 5'10" with a 32" inseam.
Ken, I'm about your size and I cut down a stock EG 12" to 9" - I can just see over the top.
You might want to add the fairing extensions & the fork baffle to channel some of the wind away from you

·
Registered
22 Posts
I heard that the windshield should be at a height that when
you are looking at the ground 30 feet infront of you that you can see
the ground over the shield..a friend cut his to 9 inch after using that theory..I am still debating. I can't see through it well when the rain is pouring but I love the protection. My hubby is waiting for me to put some tape on it and ride it around until I decide the height I like.

Cheeks (Crash01wife)

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
Ride your SG and put your left hand up above your windshield with same angle of windshield, start with about 2" and keep moving your hand up as soon as you feel what you want add that to the 4" and you will be close. You don't want to look through the WS but just look over it. Here is a website in Reno, NV area that sells Windshield at a very competitive price...like $26 a piece at that price you can try a couple different ones, I ride a FLHTCUSE and use the 8" Sunglass Grey WS.

http://www.fastaire.com/windshields.html

Ride Safe,

jeffj

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just replaced the 4" shield on my Street Glide with an 8" smoked shield from FastAire. I'm about 6' with a 32" inseam. The shield is a great improvement over stock. Still looks good but gives a noticable added protection from the wind. At $26 plus shipping, you can't beat it. Very good quality shield and the owner is great to deal with..............

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Call the guys at Clearview. If they don't make a shield for the SG, beg them to do so. It will be worth the humility. It took my RG to a whole new level of riding comfort as far as buffeting and noise. I have never seen a post on their product that did not agree.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If noise is your only complaint about the low wind deflector, you could solve that problem by using foam earplugs. If you still want to hear your stereo, then the advice about the 9 - 9.5 inch wind shield should work for you. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam, and my 9.5 inch smoked w/s comes up to about my mouth. Wind and light rain, etc. hit the top of my helmet. The only excess noise I notice is from my Rinehart pipes and my cranked stereo.

Come to think of it, you still might be able to hear your stereo even with the earplugs in. It's worth a test, seeing as how it'll only cost you $2.50 to buy a boxfull at Wal-Mart, vs. a whole lot more for the new windshield.-2$en#e-

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
gkellys said:
Call the guys at Clearview. If they don't make a shield for the SG, beg them to do so. .
Clearview make a shield for the SG, it is no different than any EG shield.

I have a 6" Clearview screen on mine & I love it(I am 5'6"). The "euro-lip" really works.

~John

·
Registered
34 Posts
5'11" here, went to 6" Harley smoked and it fixed the trick for one up, use the 9" smoked for two up and in the winter for extra coverage.

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
If appearance/looks is secondary and safety & comfort is your primary concern, many people on the forum have suggest (search the forum): Windscreen height should be set a point that allows you to just see over the windscreen while riding.

While seated in my normal riding position, I want to be able to see the road ahead without having to look through the windscreen. If I "crouch" a little, then I can see the road ahead through the windscreen. I believe that most here (on the forum) would tell you that wind noise isn't an issue with the windscreen adjusted like this.

Reason; because windscreens will fog and are difficult to see through during rain. I don't s want an obscured line-of-sight of the road ahead, in any weather conditions.

There are a lot of good windscreen manufactures out there. It's your choice. Frankly, I like the looks of a short smoked windscreen. However, it's not what I use for comfort and safety reasons.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
5'10" and 30" inseam. I had a Clear View Med on the 05 Road Glide. I was able to get a Clear View short and love it. The Med was ALWAYS in my sight line and I HATED it. The Short is just right, no problems. You may want to call Clear View and talk to them, they are great folks, customer service is the greatest and the product is second to none.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am 5' 9" and run a solid black 7" shield. It is perfect for me. I look over the top of it and I think it makes me a better rider looking over it and more ahead of the road. It took a while to get used to it but it is much better than the stock shield.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts