V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey steping up in bike size from a sporty. Really enjoy the Ultra Classic. Its a awesome bike. Being used it did not have a owners manual. I see that it has air suspension. Is there a pressure I need to check regulary on it? Anything to pay attention to for pre and post ride inspection other than that I already do on my sporty.

Also any suggestions on specialty tools I may need on the road. I have a WindZone lit I bought for my sporty that I transfered over to the new bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the maximum pressure on the '90 Ultra is 15 front and 20 rear, I don't have my manual close by to verify it. It's different than the newer Ultras. You may have to check it a few times if you are using a regular tire guage and bicycle pump. It doesn't take a lot of air and just by checking it you can lose air. They do sell special hand pumps for the air shocks that make it a lot easier.

The only problems with the older Ultras is the electronics, some of the sound system parts have been obsoleted, but you can get the radio, intercom (and CB) control pod and actual CB serviced at Radio Sound - you mail your item to them, they service it and send it back. Radio Sound did an excellent job on ours. We ended up using the Biketronics kit and installing a Sony radio but did have the intercom serviced. However, I see Harley sells just the intercom for newer glides, for about half of what it costs to have the control pod serviced, I would be tempted to see it that could be set up - they say you need the radio but on ours we don't have the radio tied into the intercom, we use external speakers for the radio and headsets for the intercom.

The older Ultras also have a limited selection of aftermarket parts, especially seats, but all the major parts of the drive train are readily available. I can't give you any recommendations for tools, we never needed any but I carry some along. I would guess you could carry everything the guys with the newer Ultras carry.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just rebuilt an '89 Jersey City Police E'Glide from the ground up. J&P carries most everything for our rides. Also, a good dealer can get you a lot of stuff as well. You can get a lot of parts, like seats and ignition/fork lock that are for 91 to 96 to fit, I did. ;)

Plus if your good at wrenching and fabbing, there is nothing you can't build that you want, i.e. quick detatch tour pack out of the factory luggage rack.

If the radio dies, throw it out and the stock speakers as well and replace with a set of J&M speakers in the fairing and a deck unit from Biketronics.

I went with a standard am/fm/cd/mp3 Pioneer car deck with a hidden antenna and custom mounted an additional pair of J&M's, so I could run a total of 4 speakers in the fairing and blast the tunes.

Max pressure for rear shocks is 50 psi and 20 psi for the forks, as per the Factory service manual. You must use the HD air pump or a compeitiors to fill the shocks and forks with air, do not use a compressor, etc.

If you plan to keep this bike for a while, spend the cash for a factory service manual and a factory parts manual. It is money well spent.

I despised the factory air forks, the o-rings leak over time and I hated the ride. I ripped the entire system out, including the stupid front brake activated solinoid, redid all the ground wires, installed Progressive suspension springs and 30 weight fork oil. Night and day difference in ride. I run 12 psi in the shocks when solo and 40 psi in the shocks when 2 up with a fully loaded tour pac.

Feel free to post questions, 'cause my '89 is almost idenitical to the '90 , and I literally stripped mine down to the frame and rebuild the entire drivetrain, suspension, wiring , etc...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Both my 1990 owners manual and and 84-90 service manuals warn not to exceed 20 PSI in the rear shocks. The charts are broken down into two groups, the FLT group which includes FLTC, FLHTC ,FLHS and the other group is FXRD/FXRT and FXRS-SP - the FXR group do go higher . The chart in the owners manul lists the maximum for the forks at 25 PSI and the recommended pressure in the service manual list 10 psi for soft, 15 psi for normal and 20 psi for firm but does not list 25 PSI as the maximum pressure.

chart in owners manual:

rider weight up to 50 lbs = 0 psi shock 15 psi forks
for each extra 25 add 1.5 to shocks
passenger weight for each 50 lbs add 1.5 to shocks
luggage weight for each 10 lbs add 1 psi to forks

maximum pressure 20 PSI shocks 25 PSI forks

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much for the manuals I bought a Clymer but would like a different one as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts