V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am searching for some pix of bikes with the Phatail kit installed -- specifically an FXST or FXSTD. I looked at the pix on the vendors website but they don't have much in the way of photos. Does anyone know of another place with some??

Yep, I am thinking about building a HOT softail. I have a deposit on the Screamin' Eagle Deuce, but I can't decide if I like it enough to pay the outrageous price. I am thinking about just getting a softail standard, adding a huge tire, custom paint and a hot Zippers engine -- then ride like hell. I can build it for less than the FXSTDSE and it will be a one of a kind -- instead of one of thousands.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Can't help you with the pix but it sounds like it will be awsome if you build it....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Look at past Hot Bike issues. I think it was the June issue where they did a spread on a softail standard that Performance Machine rebuilt with the Phatail installed. It looks sweet!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Bet you have seen these but......

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can't help you with the pics but I would have already bought two kits :) if they wern't so much money. I think it would look great on my 2000 FXST with a 230 out back with a stock looking but wide bobtail fender and the 21" skinny up front. You might want to also check out Arlen Ness and some others I here are making that kit now, they will just get better and cheaper I hope. You can go to the ness site and get a free catalog and see what they have to offer. Their catalog only has pics of the kit not on the bike.
Good luck
Jeff

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I have a 2000 HARLEY softail with a 240 on it and everyone thinks it is an aftermarket bike. I bought a kit from custom valley and picked my own fender. Because just remember if you buy a phatail kit everyone else that buys that kit gets the same fender and seat. I don't know how to attach a pic to this message or I would. If someone can tell me how I will be glad to do so. Its ashame that I done all the mods myself but can't attach a pic to a message.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
And to think I almost changed my mind about doing the tire swap. Everyone kept telling me that it was going to not handle good and pull to the left and resist curves. But everyone that told me that did'nt have one. So i done it anyway and it is no different.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is serously bad ass. Did you do it or have it done. I was just wonding how hard it was to install. Was there any unforseen problems?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
blackwhisper, thanks and yes I did everything but the seat myself. It was actually real easy the only part that made me nervous was replaced the trans mainshaft and 5th gear. I had never been inside of a harley engine so I was real scared of going in the trans. But the wrenchs at the dealer told me that it was never gonna shift again so i kind of had to prove to them it could be done and it did'nt take a dealer to do it.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
And as for the unforseen problems yes there were some. I ordered the wheel from RC components and they put the wrong hubs on it and I did'nt find out until after the tire was mounted. They wanted me to ship the wheel and tire back to them to swap the hubs. However, they ended up just shipping me the hubs and I swapped them. (RC Components are super to deal with) And the fender was a 36 inch fender from Royal Rider one of those that "is ready for paint." I wonder if one of those really exists.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
But the fender did'nt fit so I had to cut the fender from the mounting plate and add a couple of inches to the plate to make the fender center the tire from front to rear. And it had metal plates for struts welded to the outside of the fender instead of the inside so I had to fill it and work it out. And then it covered too much of the rear view so I cut it off where it is. But overall it was a fun project hopefully one day I will get to do it again. But next time I hope someone is paying for the parts.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I really that, I think is is cool as hell that it is a real harley with that huge tire out back. It difently kicks to the top of things I need to waste more money on. At any ride thats a damn nice ride.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts