V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My clutch seems to be slipping a bit lately. If I can't adjust it back to life and go looking for a new one... Is a stock replacement advisable? What are the better options for performance clutches? Can I just get better plates or should I get the whole unit? Which? I appreciate any ideas.

('90 833XL upped to 1200 with screamin' eagle ignition)

·
Hopalong
314 Posts
Stock replacement is sufficient, and stock is quite OK if adjusted properly- I have no slippage with a stock clutch and 107 HP.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
There's lots of good experience here with a range of aftermarket clutches. I'm running the stock clutch with the new easy-ramps, an SE spring and a VPC 83T - I believe.

I drive hard, do a little drag racing and have no problems at all. I had the VPC before the other mods - and all was well. Put in the SE spring during routine maintenance just because I had it laying around. Before the VPC, I was getting some slippage on hard, high RPM upshifts. I strongly recommend the VPC.

·
Registered
245 Posts
vpc? is that the new lock up from that japanese fella? I have been waitng to hear from someone with that new setup. Please tell me about.
Your bike driving needs...street /track/burnouts?
what pressure plate you are using
what adjustability it has for weighting the arms
can you set the rpms at which it has full pressure?
Wow..thanks.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Kerry,

Just saw you're looking for something for that hotrod Sporty you run!! Suggest you call Hippo and get the scoop for your needs. On my 03 FXD, there was nothing to the install. Remove the cover, discard the "plate" on the end of the clutch, install the VPC. Done. A less than 15 minute job.

I like to twist it, go thru the gears, occasionally race, occassionally go to the track. Generally don't ride below 2500, shift around 3000 when just cruising, often shift around 4000 because it's more fun and don't hesitate to go WOT.

Stock pressure plate.

There's a new model that appears to be adjustable, mine is not.

I don't know at what RPM it locks things up - Hippo/AIM for that.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
245 Posts
an adjustable one would be the cats meow if it fit inside the stock primary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts