V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rear fender set-up. I know the license plate is being moved lower,but Im undecided how I want to do it. i have a few ideas but i thought i would ask for some opinions..all are welcome. The bike will be a solid color..likely birch white with a factory type emblem.. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Hey Green,

I moved my license plate down under the tail light... take a look at my link. If you like it, I can probably get you a link to the part.

Let me know.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
99greenking said:
Thanks for the link..thats one of the cleanest Road Kings Ive ever seen..just the look im going for!Would like a link to the part to..thanks.
Thanks Green...

Neckball has the right part in his link.... same one I used. It mounts in the existing passing light holes. I had to file out one of the fender holes to get the bolts in tho'... make sure to use some clear finger nail polish on the raw edge.

I also painted mine black (satin) since it only comes in a brushed stainless steel. You will need to move the V-Twin emblem down from its stock location. I just heated it up with a blow dryer and worked it off with my fingers. Then took goo gone to the old double stick, reapplied some new double stick (clean with alchohol first) and reattached.... no problems since.

I was going to eliminate the V-Twin emblem all together, but there is a depression for a flush bolt head underneath which still needs to be covered. It still covers the bolt head (barely) after lowering.

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I used the same plate and also had to file out one of the holes to make the darn thing fit. I took me a good 4 hours to get the job done. Working by myself and with out removing the rear tire. My scoot has been lowered and could hardly get my hand between the tire and fender.:eek: :eek:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
just a quick tip.....take the taillight out.and use a quickwrench.....make it 100 times easier and faster to do this mod.....most guys may know but i figuered i would point it out.....this may only work on the newr bikes though, as i know they have changer the mounting bracket over the years....

·
Banned
135 Posts
8-Ball said:
Hey Green,

I moved my license plate down under the tail light... take a look at my link. If you like it, I can probably get you a link to the part.

Let me know.
What did you have to do to get rid of that bar the license plate used to mount to? I asked the question in another thread but no one answered. Did you buy a kit to do that?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I have the same plate as others from softbreak. I didn't have to file the holes bigger or move the V emblem lower so maybe whoever gets one will get lucky like I did but I did have to "tweak" it a little. But it would help to have three of four hands to do this. It only took me an hour maybe but I dinged the fender slightly when I dropped the turn signal bar while trying to hold everything and get a bolt started under the fender. I'll post or e-mail pics if someone wants to see but it's a lot like 8-Ball's.

8-Ball, It looks like you outlined the tank emblems in black or something. Did you do something to it or is it just the lighting?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Looks great Ern. That was one route I was going to go but opted for the other one. That paint is sweet!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is the option I like if you are going to keep your stock turn signals. The license plate is hinged and it allows the plate to be adjusted to any angle

This is the same hinged plate on a bike without factory signals.

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
8-Ball said:
Ern... looks damned good. Thanks for putting up the pics. Who did your paint?
The paint was done up in Temecula by a small company called Wet Colors. They did a great job on the paint. The pictures don't do it any justice. The ghosted flames are metal flake which look pretty amazing in the sun, even if I do say so myself...

:D

There is another thread around somewhere with better pictures of the paint if you run a search for my posts.

There are also a couple of photos in my sig if you havent already seen them...

E :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts