V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and can not find anything. Looking for a how to guide of removing the rear frneder. Any help someone can give will be awesome.
Thanks.

:thanks:

2004 FLHPTI

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
Well, not to be a smartass, but you have two choices.

You could get the manual and read it, but if it's anything like mine, it won't detail the procedure.

Second choice is to start by removing the seat. That should let you see what else is hung on to the rear end.

Look for everything else that is hung on the rear fender supports and unbolt it all. That might include rear luggage, turn signals, maybe some other stuff.

Once you have everything disconnected from the fender supports on each side, then wiggle the fender gently and see if it is connected to the frame anywhere else. If it is, it may very well be at the front lower end, with some kind of bolt through the frame, or a bracket connected to the frame, or maybe it's bolted on to the frame top cross tube.

From there on, it's kind of guess and God.

Best of luck :brows:

Don't worry. Someone who actually knows what they are talking about will chip in soon :sofa:

·
Quack.
60 Posts
well you really need the service manual and it does tell you exactly what to do. i just replaced mine (2005 flhpei) last week. the service manual tells you to put the bike on a jack and remove the rear wheel step 1. that's only because you need to get at the T40 torx that holds the front of the fender onto the battery enclosure.

if you have a wife or know a midget with small hands then you can remove that bolt with a small vise grips (tedious tho...), or get a T40 right angle wrench (pep boys had one as part of a set -- it looks like allen wrenches but are torx). I removed it with the vise grips but put it back together with the t40 wrench, so i didn't have to remove the rear wheel. i did put it on a jack though, but maybe i didn't have to.

all the other bolts that hold the fender on are T40s but are easily reached. but follow the SM because it tells you better than me what order to do things in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts