V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 FLHT with @40,000mi. Looking to give the bagger some balls this winter. Here is my plan.

SE pro comp heads with compression release
bore juggs to 95"
10:1 pistons
S&S gear drive 570 cams
fueling oil pump and lifters
roller rockers
rocker arm support plate
titanium adj pushrods
mikuni 45 carb
delkron camshaft support plate
balance masters kit

I have the heads NIB and spare set of juggs. I'm going to send everything out to the machine shop together and have the heads ported and polished. I hope to have every thing ready to go to swap out the parts some rainy weekend. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
KingFLHT said:
I have a 2001 FLHT with @40,000mi. Looking to give the bagger some balls this winter. Here is my plan.

bore juggs to 95"
S&S gear drive 570 cams
roller rockers
rocker arm support plate
titanium adj pushrods
mikuni 45 carb
balance masters kit

I have the heads NIB and spare set of juggs. I'm going to send everything out to the machine shop together and have the heads ported and polished. I hope to have every thing ready to go to swap out the parts some rainy weekend. Any suggestions?
Rocker arm support plate is over kill with you package. The Gear drive kit with the Delcron cam plate will give you some gear fitment problems...cam plate is also over kill.
Fueling oil pump and lifters is a large expience that can be elimanated with a $12.50 basiley oil pressure spring that isinstalled in the pressure gally of the cam plate.
Compression releases are not needed till 10.5:1 compression is reached, another $80.00 expense not needed.
I don't know how your ride so I can't comment on your cam and carb choice.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Rocker arm support plate is over kill with you package. The Gear drive kit with the Delcron cam plate will give you some gear fitment problems...cam plate is also over kill.
Fueling oil pump and lifters is a large expience that can be elimanated with a $12.50 basiley oil pressure spring that isinstalled in the pressure gally of the cam plate.
Compression releases are not needed till 10.5:1 compression is reached, another $80.00 expense not needed.
I don't know how your ride so I can't comment on your cam and carb choice.

I agree with everything Doc said above...and in addition, I don't think you need a balance masters kit when you're riding a rubber mounted bagger. Put new rubber isolation mounts in if you're experiencing too much vibration. You can save that money and put it towards a VPC (variable pressure clutch) to help transfer all that power to the rear wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow Doc, just great stuff:bowdwn: wish I would have read more of your stuff before I had to spend $80 on CR release:crying: and got pinched (by HD dealer and Brainless, HDB disease)due to my 10:5.1 on this 31G cam but Ill ride it like the Hog it is...lol... have Dynos in a few days.. I did get the baisely spring today at least.
Take Care:thumbsup:
PS. Doc, if they cant get this tune up to snuff. I will have Sert installed and a Laptop to put in the bag to get run data. I sure would like your input and number changes, of coarse for your cost... Have Bike will travel for ponies..lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I'm not a tremendously agressive rider, I mean it's a bagger! The heads are already set up for compression releases so I will go with them anyway just to save wear on the charging system and starter. I'll look into the baisly spring, I'd rather only spend the $12.50. I'd rather just rejet the carb too so the mikuni may be a wait and see item. Balance kit was a thought more for the benifit of balancing the engine vibration for the engine not me, I'm looking more for reliability and longevity than radical performance At 40,000 mi I was thinking may be time to replace the lifters anyway. That was the thinking behind the cam plate support and rocker support. Didn't want to go with too high a compression set up for the same reason. I don't have a problem with the rubber mount, not at all like my old sporty. Thanks again for the feedback. I don't mind tearing into the engine but I'd rather ride then wrench. I dont mind spending the money but I'd rather spend it once, spend it right and, spend it well. Love this site!!!

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
If your just a cruiser then the 570 cam is way too much, look at the Andrews 26, it will give you a good boost with low expience. If you want more mid range than the 26 the 37 is a good choice. Either cam will work but to get the most out of that heavy Bagger going with a 3.37:1 gear ratio is the key.If you do a search on the forum on the 3.37:1 ratio you will find the part numbers you need to convert your bike.
The stock C/V carb is the best carb on the street in my opinion...the Constant Velocity will give better cylinder fill under the complete rpm power band. If you want a larger mm carb look at the 44mm C/V carb....I don't believe you will need it with the mild cam choice though.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
KingFLHT said:
Just so you know, the SE heads are have a reduced combustion chamber size and that is what determines your 10:1 compression ratio. The pistons you are using are actually flat top pistons and not a higher compression piston. When you go to 95" stay with the SE CAST flat tops and don't let the dealer or anyone talk you into the forged pistons, they are not needed in your build.

BTW, the balance masters are a waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Either cam will work but to get the most out of that heavy Bagger going with a 3.37:1 gear ratio is the key.If you do a search on the forum on the 3.37:1 ratio you will find the part numbers you need to convert your bike.
Hey Doc, he has an 01 so doesn't he already have 3:37 gears stock?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
adlerx said:
Hey Doc, he has an 01 so doesn't he already have 3:37 gears stock?
Good point but no he doesn't, lol, only the fuel injected bikes came stock with the 3.37:1 from 98 to 02, the carb bikes where 3.15:1 like all the bikes today except for the new Dyna.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
KingFLHT said:

bore juggs to 95"
S&S gear drive 570 cams
roller rockers
rocker arm support plate
titanium adj pushrods
mikuni 45 carb
balance masters kit

When I was talking to Dan Baisley about my build he recommended against the titanium pushrods. He said that they are actually too light and could be a problem!

·
Banned
48 Posts
KingFLHT said:

bore juggs to 95"
S&S gear drive 570 cams
fueling oil pump and lifters NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT NEEDED
roller rockers NOT NEEDED WITH THIS PACKAGE
rocker arm support plate NOT NEEDED WITH THIS PACKAGE
titanium adj pushrods WAAAAY NOT NEEDED WITH THIS PACKAGE
mikuni 45 carb
delkron camshaft support plate DON"T THINK YOU NEED THIS
balance masters kit

I think you can save a bunch of money if you reevaluate the items I highlighted above.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
If you do what the good Doc says and go with the Andrews 37 gear drive set up and the 3.37:1 gear ratio change you'll be a very happy camper... or bagger. Good take off power and power to pass on the highway with two up. Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
With the money you save by not putting in the unnecessary Delkron support plate, the Fueling oil pump and lifters and the rocker arm support plate, you could afford to add a good adjustable ignition.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts