V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to hop up my 2002 flht (carb) this winter. Have searched the posts and see that Bub true duals aren't on the top of anybody's list for improving performance. Except maybe for Bassini's doughnut true dual.

My question to you is this Rinehart system hype or something worth considering.

I do like the look of true duals, but am also looking for bang for the buck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871280196

TIA

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Not sure but I am going to follow this thread.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
nlallas said:
following? would you buy them?

I am not familure with them. Now if some knowledgeble folks here, like say The Hippo say that they were what the add says, then yea, I would consider slappin em on. I like performance. Runnin a SE FLHRI 95" and would like to add more.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sort of interesting.
Gerald Rinehart has a reputation as one of the best pipe makers, sort of an american Akrapovic, and makes a lot of Nascar pipes.
Bub's has a reputation for making some of the most power robbing pipes on the market.

Dyno numbers can be presented in interesting ways, I think they claimed something around 75 HP from these pipes on a stock bike with SE intake.
I know I can get about 72 or 73 with several pipes that cost half that much under the same conditions, but the top number doesn't mean anything without the curve. Being a 2 into 2 I would be rather skeptical, but with stepped headers they could work.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ordered them yesterday - not able to stand the temptation - 40% !!!!

Should be here by the end of the week.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
This topic was discussed on Preacher's TC88 list:

One knowledgeable lister contacted Bub and was told that the ebay seller got erroneous info about TC88's stock HP (was told 52, should have been 62).

Still, getting 14 more HP and keep the dual exhaust look would be sweet.

wyo

·
Registered
238 Posts
What is Preacher's TC88 list?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
brust60,

Its a TwinCam specific group on Yahoo. If you wish to join, click here :

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thank you, wyodude !

·
Registered
238 Posts
So folks its done.

I have them on and the second impression is awesome - these pipes sound better than everything I heard before. Rinehart obviousely knows his job.

The gain of power is significant but far away from 40% (which by the way is impossible just with an exhaust system).

Anyway I would guess 10 to 15 hp more. Low end torque is unchanged but at 2500 the engine comes to life like never before.

The first impression was different. Mounting of this system is a pain in the ...
The guys at BUB have to make their homework here.
Especially the heat shields are horrible - it takes longer to put them on than the headers - they just don't fit.
They are hold in place by a snap on system and hold in place with springs.

The overall quality impression is not bad but I expected more from a 800$ system. Chrome is average and one of the end caps has a deep scratch -quality control - obviousely not.

But when you hear them the first time everything is forgiven and forgotten - again - awesome.

What I not understand - because I'm not an expert - is that the engine vibrates more than before. Especially when you let off the throttle abruptly.

May sound strange but I can't explain it better. Maybe one of you guys has an explanation for this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Brust, Your experience with installing these pipes is typical for any Bub's system. Most of them use that rediculous system for mounting the heat shields. A lot of them develop a rattle eventually when the springs loosen up.

I wish you were local so I could hear those things. Hoiw would you rate the volume? My middle age sensibilities prefer a pipe that isn't too loud. Gotta hear the radio on my Glide, ya know.

Ken

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sound is hard to describe but I will try.

I've never liked *LOUD* Exhaust sytems.

These pipes have a crispy roar that will send chills down your spine rather than crack them.

Sound and loudness is perfect - mello while idling, throaty roaring powerful sound when taking off.

A buddie of mine took my bike for spin to let me hear it - I can't get this grin out of my face.

You will hear your radio, maybe you have to rewind from time to time ;-)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bub "rinehart" first impression .

Today we fitted the Bub "Rinehart " true duals to my 99 - 95 inch FLHR , this in a full equiped workshop on a hoist , total fitting time was 35 minutes (with 7 minutes wasted searching for the exhaust sealer) .
Fitting was straight forward using all the supplied hardware , the system mounts securley thanks to the LHS header pipe mounting bracket , the heat shield springs and the spacers for the floor boards all fitting as per the instructions , the headers - mufflers and hardware all appear to be high quality , some scuff marks on the headers were evident but these would only be die marks and are covered by the heat shields .
The sound is VERY VERY deep at idle and under light acceleration .
Accelerate a little harder and the sound becomes a bellow (not too loud, just nice , in an evil kind of way)

Accelerate hard , and when you pass about 2900rpm it's like a TURBO cutting in (there is no other way to describe it ) this doesn't feel at all like the bike I rode to the shop this morning !!

I will have the dyno all to myself on Thursday , so the charts will be interesting , I can envision a lot of retuning to get the best out of this exhaust system
:D

·
Registered
238 Posts
35 minutes - great time!

Probably I have got two left hands.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
JUST WANT YOU TO KEEP AN EYE ON THE REAR BUMPER BRACKET THAT CONECTS TO THE BAG SUPPORT FOR THE REAR CYLINDER. I RUN SAMSON TRUE DUALS AND THE ONLY PLACE THEY MOUNT IS AT THE HEAD AND THE SUPPORT. MY SUPPORT HAS BROKEN TWICE FROM VIBRATION. THE FRONT ONE ALSO IS BRACKETED AT THE TRANNY SO IT IS A LITTLE MORE ISOLATED, BUT KEEP AN EYE ON THE BACK ONE. MINE HAPPENED TO LET GO ONCE ON THE WAY BACK FROM STURGIS.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Bub "rinehart" first impression .

xrystl said:
I will have the dyno all to myself on Thursday , so the charts will be interesting :D
Copied from the Road King Riders board;
Nick

>Yesterday I had the dyno tune and test on my 99 - 95 inch Road King after fitting the Bub "Rinehart" true dual exhaust system - my bike has the following modifications (for comparison purposes) 95 inch - SE flat top pistons - ported heads - HSR42 Mikuni - TW21 cams - Crane lifters and roller rockers - stock ignition - Bub true duals with bad dog mufflers. This bike has been dynoed many times in this configuration and for comparison purposes I have averaged all the runs for a base line to work from, so torque is averaged at 102 ft lbs - horsepower at 77.3 - all the dyno tests have been done on the same Dynojet 250 at sea level and all were compensated - a variation of 3% from one day to the next is normal (climatic conditions). After 12 runs we had the carb adjusted to where we wanted it (a surprise is going from a 170 main jet to a 160) just a touch rich through the rev range.

With the new pipes the peak torque figure has not altered, but the peak is
now 400rpm further up the rev range, the torque curve is flat with no peaks or dips and is above the old curve from the peak to maximum revs .

Horsepower went up a full 10 % with a flat curve all the way to maximum revs.

To sumarise - as I already had a good package I wasn't expecting too much of an increase, the bonus was the HP boost and the flat torque and hp curve. A 10% power increase (over what I already had) for the price of the pipes is probably good value, I can't think of another bolt on item that would give me that, the sound being so different I guess is something we pay for, the quality of the new product is far superior to their past systems.

On completion, and sitting with the dyno techs and comparing figures and
looking at the Andrews spec sheet, it was concluded that we had probably reached the maximum HP and Torque that we can extract using the TW21 cams (Tom, I'm open to suggestions and I am also looking for a remedy for for slide flutter at idle - 950rpm) and These pipes are performance orientated and would work better with a cam that gives a bit more flow. I think it's an exhaust that you buy and then design your performance modifications around it rather than the other way around .

I'm happy with the Bub Rinehart system, the quality is good, the sound is
great, and they do work.

Regards, X . <

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bub Rinehart , dyno test .

nlallas , you beat me to it , I came on here to post the results and find they are already here :)

I spent some time at the shop yesterday , and after much deliberating I have decided to try the TW26 cams with these pipes , on paper they show that they will flow a bit more than the TW21 .
After spending more time on the bike (with the jetting sorted ) and getting used to the power delivery , I'm finding it better to ride than as it was prior to the new pipes .:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Bub Rinehart , dyno test .

xrystl said:
nlallas , you beat me to it , I came on here to post the results and find they are already here :)
Hey X, thanks, didn't mean to steal your thunder. Been looking for a performing true dual (seems I wasn't alone).

How do you think that would work with a Crane 290 or Wood TW6H cam?

Please keep sharing the info, I'll wait for you to post next time:eek: :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Re: Bub Rinehart , dyno test .

nlallas said:

Hey X, thanks, didn't mean to steal your thunder. Been looking for a performing true dual (seems I wasn't alone).

How do you think that would work with a Crane 290 or Wood TW6H cam?

Please keep sharing the info, I'll wait for you to post next time:eek: :D
Hey nlallas , no problems

You don't say what you ride , but I guess a bagger !!!! I got the Crane specs and after doing some comparisons , for me the 290 is to large for my application , probably need to increase compression to run that one , the 300-2 or 310-2 look to be the better proposition .
I have heard and read about Wood cams , not a lot of information available about them (that I can find) but what I have read has been positive ,also I'm in Australia so a lot of products aren't readily available , and very few of the big name business houses will send out of the US (Wallys cycle world and V-Twin USA being two of the exceptions I know of)

Andrews and Crane have a good selection of cams , and if you look at their specifications they tend to leap frog each other , almost giving ten different grinds for the TC engine between them , just need to narrow it down so that you find something that works with your intended modifications and riding style !!
Regards , X .

1 - 20 of 38 Posts