V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start my own thread.:)

I have been looking for eye protection.

Something comfortable with good wind blocking and peripheral vision are the main things I need. This is important for me since I am blind in one eye. I think I need some wrap around type lenses with no frame.

Another problem I'm having is getting clear lenses without any "flash" or other coating on the lense. When I see a bright light such as oncoming headlights, I see a second image of the light.

Anyone else have this problem with clear lenses at night?

Any ideas?

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Do a search on panoptics or oakley's ther was a thread on this topic not too long ago, might give you ideas. And some people might not answer twice. I love my Oakleys, good wrap around, and interchangeable and replaceable lenses. I am not sure if they are coated. A bit pricey but good quality and american made. .02

·
Banned
999 Posts
believe it or not, the Home Depot sells some clear,slim,frameless wrap-around clear safety glasses. maybe thats what you're looking for. things are only 5 bux, best nite riding glasses I found.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
SIDEKICK said:
believe it or not, the Home Depot sells some clear,slim,frameless wrap-around clear safety glasses. maybe thats what you're looking for. things are only 5 bux, best nite riding glasses I found.
I always keep a couple of pairs in my bike, someone always needs a pair. They do seem to scratch easy but for 5 bucks....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I never wore anything when I was younger. Got tickets left and right for no eye protection (I said young not bright). Then to sunglasses which work OK. Now I use goggles a lot. They stop all the crap that can make it past the side of yer glasses and into yer eye's or eye as the case may be. And since you said you already can't see out of 1 eye, I don't think it would be a good thing if you got a cross wind blowing shitt in from the sides. My sugg, GOGGLES. They come in all shapes and sizes, glass or plastic.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Me and the crew wear the "cheap" Boas brand safety eyeglasses that can ge gotten at any hardware store, they come in multiple shades from clear to mirror they are cheap very effective and no sweat if they are lost, stolen or get broken. They are "frameless" and do wrap around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Personally, I really like my Panoptx. The foam pad seals out the wind so well my hard contacts never bother me. They're also very rugged. I had a pretty bad wreck last year and caught a mirror in the face (I think it was the mirror!). My forehead was gashed, an eyesocket was broken, and the glasses were destroyed -- but my eyes, including the hard contacts, were fine. Panoptx replaced the glasses no charge even though I couldn't come up with the remaining parts (required per their written warranty). Nothing but good things to say about Panoptx.............

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yellowFatboy200 said:
Now I use goggles a lot. They stop all the crap that can make it past the side of yer glasses and into yer eye's or eye as the case may be.
I'm a goggles kinda guy myself. Unfortunately, the ol' eyes ain't what they used to be and I gotta wear glasses. So, I picked up a set of goggles that have prescription lens in 'em. A little pricy, but worth it IMHO. :cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
re:

I had a set of WileyX, they worked fantastic for wind and such, had a clear set of lenses as well for night riding. I also have a set of HD glasses with foam, i like these better then the panoptics, its a feel thing really. Lastly I keep a Skydiving goggle on the bike in case i lose a pair somewhere, these are just a soft plastic looking thing, with no frame at all but are clear as day, do not fog, look really stupid but does the trick in a pinch, and only cost 10.00

·
Just bad
698 Posts
If I was blind in one eye I'd be looking for goggles. I wear contacts and wrap-around glasses and still manage to get stuff in the eye or a lens out of place. At least I have a spare eye to get off the road with.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thomas_l said:
If I was blind in one eye I'd be looking for goggles. I wear contacts and wrap-around glasses and still manage to get stuff in the eye or a lens out of place. At least I have a spare eye to get off the road with.
I am looking for some type of goggle or wrap around. I don't want the wind blowing stuff in my eye. But having one eye also requires as much peripheral vision as possible. I know there's something out there that's perfect but I can't seem to find it. I can find wraps for day time, it's just night glasses without double vision that's hard to find.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It comes down to the HD Profile or the Panoptx Cyclone.

The HD Profile has the interchangeable lenses for day or night riding and I can get them on line for 20% off. But they don't have quite as much peripheral as the Cyclone. (Not too much less though) And the daytime lense isn't near as good as the Cyclone.

The Panoptx Cyclone has the better day time lense options and also is available in clear for night time. (Although it would require a seperate pair of glasses.) And has a little better periphereal than the Profile. But It cost about 50 bucks more than the Profile.

Profile alone? $90
One of each? $220
Cyclone and a cheapy pair of clears for night time? $150 to $200
Two Cyclones? (One clear and one daytime) $260

Ofcourse 90%+ of my riding is in the day time.

Decisions decisions.............

Anyone hear of or use these?

http://guard-dogs.com/Merchant2/mer...&Product_Code=GI-SC-FS&Category_Code=Sidecars

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like Panoptx. The foam around the rim keeps the wind away from your eyes.
I droped two pair of Panoptxs (at different times) broke the frames out of warranty.
They not only fixed the frames, but put in new lenses as well........all for NO charge and two day air delivery. I will never buy another brand of windless eyewear.
Bennett

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
drbf said:
I like Panoptx. The foam around the rim keeps the wind away from your eyes.
I droped two pair of Panoptxs (at different times) broke the frames out of warranty.
They not only fixed the frames, but put in new lenses as well........all for NO charge and two day air delivery. I will never buy another brand of windless eyewear.
Bennett
Which ones do you wear? Do you have the clear for night riding?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts