V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings everyone from Hong Kong, China. I am preparing to move back to the U.S., San Antonio, where I hope to purchase my first Harley. My delimma is that I am torn between the Fat Boy and the Heritage Classic. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone can offer to help my decision. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Let me confuse you more, get the heritage springer! Thats what I want when I pay off my sporty :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Misguided, thanks but tell me more. I find that the differences among the Softails is minimal, at first glance. Why do you prefer the Springer? I am not even a novice at this point so have to ask all the dumb questions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My .02 cents worth Go to the local dealer and sit on them you will know it when it feel's right..... Thats how I find all my vehiciles don't understand it but it works for me........

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
If you think you will use saddlebags, backrest and windshield, the Classic includes them and is probably a better deal. The main difference (basically the only one) as far as comfort is they have dramatically different handlebars. You have to try both to see which suits you. Even then, if you feel strongly enough about one you can always easily and cheaply change the bars. Only other significant appearance difference is the smaller, cleaner front fender and disk wheels on the Fat Boy compared to the big bulky fender and spoked wheels on the Classic. The disks use tubeless tires and are marginally safer but some people feel the get affected more by heavy crosswinds (but then again so do saddlebags abd tour pacs and brake disk covers and fairings and fat passengers).

I went with the Fat Boy after looking at both. It just plain looks better to my eyes and I can buy cheap bags for the 2 times a year I need them. I did add a detachable windshield.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm with Misguided on the choice of scooters if you go the Heritage route. I own a 02' Heritage Springer and am lovin it! The bags DO come with it and can eaisily be removed. It is more expensive though as the cost of the Harley line goes. I prefer the retro look. My last Harley was a 47' Knuckle and it reminds me of the classic look. I have a detachable windshield and the buddy pad comes off in seconds with one thumb screw. That leaves the solo seat and a bare fender which changes the look. So, I can have a stripped down "Fatboy" look or put the bags, buddy pad, and windshield on and I have a totally different "Heritage" look. So I like the versatility. I haven't gone anywhere without receiving great compliments on the bike, both from bikers and non-bikers. I'm on the list for a 03', but haven't made up my mind yet on whether I'll get it and if I do, what model. I'm leaning towards a "Fatboy" or "Road King" though. Good luck in your decision. Ultimately though, you DO need to go to a couple of dealerships and try the bikes on for size and comfort levels. Some dealers will actually let you test drive some of them too as long as you have a motorcycle endorsement on your license.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tnt,

I have to agree with freebird and HD girl. Once you have it nailed down to the model that you want (i mean from a performance, technical, estethic and ECONOMIC:D point of view) you gotta feel it. No matter how much you like a bike if you don't fit on it you can' t buy it. If the handle bar is unconfortabole for you....well same story.

This is my .02 advice.

G
Crazy Italian

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Hey tnt!
After reading your second post I get the impression you have no riding experience.If not, why rush into such a major commitment not knowing how much you'll get out of the lifestyle?

You may want to start out on a used, inexpensive Japanese model.The models you mentioned may be a bit intimidating for some new riders.Learning all the safety aspects of riding & having to handle such a large bike could be a nightmare for some.

I'm willing to bet that a majority of members in this group started out this way, myself included.Just my 2 pennies.

By the way I own a Heritage & wouldn't trade it for the world! Good Luck in whatever you choose.
guido

·
Registered
875 Posts
tnt said:
Misguided, thanks but tell me more. I find that the differences among the Softails is minimal, at first glance. Why do you prefer the Springer? I am not even a novice at this point so have to ask all the dumb questions. Thanks in advance.
I just love the springer front ends :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guido, Thanks for your good advice. The truth is I "used to be" an experienced rider, both on and off-road. My last bike though was a Norton more than 20 years ago. Having retired from the USAF a few years ago and now making my way back to the U.S., I've decided to fulfill my dream of owning a Harley. Your point is well taken though, I have been "out of the saddle" a long time. I have already commited myself to taking a motorcycle safety course when I get back. I think I can gain my confidence pretty quick.....How does all this rationaization sound?? I could throw in ....all my friends have one.... I couldn't take the teasing if I bought a Japanese bike etc.!!

Thanks to all for your thoughts. tnt

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Hey tnt, I hear ya on the *** bike thing!!

Sorry if I jumped the gun by thinking you were inexperienced,I kinda flinch when I hear about people who've never ridden asking about bikes you mentioned.

Taking a safety course is a great idea,it will all come back to ya quickly.

As far as what model to choose, I've ridden both, & you really can't go wrong with either one.It's just a matter of which one feels right.

Good Luck & keep us posted!
guido

·
Registered
875 Posts
tnt said:
The truth is I "used to be" an experienced rider, both on and off-road. My last bike though was a Norton more than 20 years ago
Sounds like me, I grew up on dirt bikes, had some enduros, bought a new sporty in 80 and sold it in 83. Been out of the saddle since. When I picked up the new sporty a few weeks ago I was nervous as a whore in church.

tnt said:
I have been "out of the saddle" a long time I think I can gain my confidence pretty quick
It comes back real quick. I am really leery of all the boneheads in cars whereas b4 I wasn't, and I guess thats a good thing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
tnt, I think it's great that you've signed up for a safety course, when I took the course a few years ago, I was surprised at how many were taking the course that had not rode in years and wanted a refresher before they took to the road. I personally loved the course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HD Girl thanks for your encouragement. As I attack my second childhood/middle age crisis I think it is only fair that I be concerned about the poor souls who might come close to me while piloting the beast. Actually, I am sure that there is much that I can learn or relearn. Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts