V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have searched the archives, and have found no definitive answer as the best way to repaint my engine.

It is a 90 heritage softail and the paint is beyond using a restoring product, as it is peeling away. Can anyone give me the quick suggestion? I can bead blast it, but should it be pulled apart, and what paint/paint process should be used? How do I get the edges natural again? etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Warren

·
Registered
119 Posts
The best way to do it, if you don't mind tearing it apart is to have it powdercoated. They can mask the edges so they don't get coated.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Heck send them to me I've never played with any bikes parts yet. I've always wanted to see how a set of jugs would come out powder coated in the fins and polished fins. I'll give you a good price, just no rubber or plastic parts got to get the parts to 400 degrees for the powder to flash and keep it there for 20 minutes to cure. I've been mainly playing around with car parts, oh here's my web page:

http://www.gofastgoodies.com, if you are interested just drop me a line.

Dave

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I wanted the black engine on my FLHS. I stripped everything out of the way. Degreased it til it was squeeky clean, etched it with some muratic acid and painted it with VT high temp wrinkle black. I then had to go back and painstakingly remove all the paint with a razorblade from the fins. When I was finished it looked brand new. It's been over 7 years and it still looks better than lots of factory jobs.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Lectraglide,
I am very interested in doing the same type of job to my '02 FXST.
Can you give me some more details on the stripping?
Did you take everything off? (Carb, Exhaust, etc.).
Was the engine still in the frame?
What brand of paint did you use?
How long did it take?

Any info would be really appreciated.
Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
When I bought this bike is was pretty used. I stripped the tank,bags and covers off. Stripped the engine down to the block/head covers and tranny but left it in the frame. Sealed all the engine openings and started degreasing with gunk. I even laid the bike over in the yard to get underneath! I was told the secret was in etching the metal with muratic acid...I don't know if there's any truth to that but the paint has lasted a long time. I used VT high temp wrinkle black. Scraping the jug fins with a razor blade took forever. The supplies were cheap, but I did have more than a few hours invested. The end result was time well spent and any nicks are quickly fixed with a dab of paint.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks Lectra
Sorry to trouble you.
I take it you took the timer, derby, etc. covers off (everything that is not iron) and sealed the holes with masking tape or similar stuff.
Did you dilute the muriatic in water?
Did you apply it with a brush?
And lastly what's gunk?

Thanks a lot for your help, this looks like something I would really like to do over the next few weeks/months.

All the best for 2003!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Lets see, I did this back in 1994....I was planning on replacing the timing and derby covers so I don't think I removed them. I used a spray bottle for the muratic acic and didn't delute it. Muratic acid is not that strong but it is acid so be careful. I did use gloves and some eye protection. I sprayed the whole engine let it sit for a few seconds and rinsed it off with water. Gunk is the brand name of a spray on engine degreaser . I also remember that after I painted the block with the vt paint it didn't look quite right. I then learned that the dried paint needed to be heated alittle to give it the wrinkled look. It was winter here. I believe I used a hair dryer. If you take your time in preparation your finished job will look great.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Lectraglide,

Thanks for your patience and time!
When I'll do it I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts