V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm looking for a truck that will fit my bike in the bed. It won't be my daily driver or a work vehicle, so I don't mind if it has high miles (90-100,000). If it's comfortable, fits the bike, looks decent and is reliable, I'm happy.

I was thinking a Ford Ranger, but not sure if the bed's big enough. I really don't want a full size truck (F-150 type), but I would consider it. From what I've read people really like their Ranger, and I like the way it looks. Toyota Tacomas look good, but I'm thinking they're probably more than I want to spend. I don't know anything about the Chevys.

I'm trying to keep the cost around $5-7,000. From what I've seen in the classifieds that seems realistic. Appreciate any thoughts, suggestions and/or experience. THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
I was thinking a Ford Ranger, but not sure if the bed's big enough. !
Works with my Superglide I just can’t close the tailgate.
DOMESTIC.
I have a small 4x8, 2000 Lbs. axle tilt bed utility trailer that works much better.
DOMESTIC.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
trailer believer

Not to stray from your thread but I'm a great believer in trailers of pick-up. Loading a pick-up can be a major pain if you have a non-running bike. A good trailer should last twenty year and outlive a few trucks.

Then there is the possability of not having to insure a another vehicle like the truck for bike hauling.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
toybox99615 said:
Not to stray from your thread but I'm a great believer in trailers of pick-up. Loading a pick-up can be a major pain if you have a non-running bike. A good trailer should last twenty year and outlive a few trucks.

Then there is the possability of not having to insure a another vehicle like the truck for bike hauling.
That was my first thought.. but I don't own anything with a hitch, or even capable of towing. I've always wanted a little p/up around -- this is my excuse.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
You'll prolly want some sort of auxillary springs for that duty. I tow a 3700 lb trailer with my Ranger and the AirLift springs and compresser really make a difference.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a full size 1/2 ton Dodge Ram and a 6'x10' landscape trailer. Loading the
landscape trailer with my Superglide is a one man piece of cake especially with
the high tailgate ramps these trailers come with. Loading a bike into the back
of a truck is a two man pain in the ass that takes a little muscle, balance and good loading ramp. In the price range your in - you could get a used full size truck long bed that will handle your bike without having to leave the tailgate down. You can put a hitch on just about any vehicle - to go cheep, I would recommend spending $1000 on a used landscape trailer and $300 for a
hitch for your econo car. Save on insurance and vehicle upkeep. Also in California - trailers only need to be registered once every 7 years.
If you go for a truck - go full size with small V8. Better ride,power, payload and comfort.

·
Registered
594 Posts
With a purpose built single bike trailer, you can tow it with most standard vehicles, some just might no be as fast as others.

I know its always tempting to get a pickup, its just that it cant always be well justified.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I have a 7/14 wells cargo trailer...Love it. But towing can be a real pain sometimes. It is nice knowing you bike is in an enclosed enviorment though when trialering...Just remember a truck and trailer can be a pain to manuever in some spots and park as well and cost a lot for gas and tolls. Oh and the worst part, everyone will all the sudden need to borrow it. Dont get me wrong, i have no problem sharing, but when guys ask if they can borrow it for 2 weeks to go to Sturgis, it gets a little annoying...then they bring it back with a tire low on air and scrached up....Sorry for the rant.....

a truck to put the bike is nice but you always have to have a good sport to load and unload the bike. Sharp inclines are best but not always availible...If you go that route get the extra wide and long ramp so as you can out your feet down when loading and unloading. sometimes this is best with at least 2 people. Also remeber you need a big enough bed to store the ramp when the bike is in there...

A great option, although a lot of money would be something like this.....

http://www.pak-rak.com/default.htm

·
Registered
417 Posts
Tacoma

No complaints w/my '99 Tacoma (ext. cab, 4WD). 110,000 miles and (knock on wood) still going strong. A lot of folks hang on to their Tacomas but some used ones can be found for a good deal. With 6' bed have to haul with tailgate down. Can't imagine not having a pickup. Also pull a 19' Bayliner with it. Over the lifetime of the truck and a lot of hauling and towing, had to do 2 things: replace clutch and universal joint.

Good luck.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Well the cost difference between a Ranger and an F-150 isn't that much and you get a lot more truck in the F-150. The same thing goes for all makes and models. Plus the smaller trucks don't really get much better gas mileage.

I've had several model trucks and I prefer the F-150. I do really like Tacomas, but I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a used one in your price range.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I am at the point of making the same sort of decision. My 89 chev is due to go. It should have gone last year but the inspection guy gave me a nod and a wink. It normally doesnt see 4000 miles a year so emissions aren't an issue. I wonder seeing this post how much you guys with trailer use the trailers for
"pickup" stuff ? I would rather be buying a spare bagger then another pick up.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Most of those smaller trucks do not hold large bikes well. Not only do their shocks/springs need built up but you really do not want your rear tire on the tailgate. You can use some channel iron to disribute the weight but that too can be a pain. I have an 2001 F250 4x4 (for sale by the way) short bed that works well but its high.

An F150 2 WD (or that size truck) would work best. Not too high and with a 6 1/2 ft bed your rear tire should not be on the tailgate.

Either that or a small trailer.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some really great guidance/ideas here guys. Thanks, and don't let me stop you from throwing out more!

The trailer is just not an option for me, although I appreciate the benefits.

Going the F-150 route is something I wouldn't have considered, but I believe you're right.

The 10' Black Widow seems like the ramp to have. Plenty of width to walk it down. Seems like a 1 man job with this ramp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
5x8 landscape trailer... tailgate makes the ramp... hauled my Goldwing twice but luckily no other bike.... however I do use it for small truck uses...ie wood, building materials and such.. Highly recommend this type of unit

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I have a 96 Ford F150 I bought new, gave to a kid for college - and just got done making all the repairs... It's got the big 4.9 litre 6, 5 spd, 4 wd, 8' bed, 140,000 miles and I'll keep it another 10 years. Once you get used to having a good truck around, you can't imagine being without one. JMHO.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Paniolo said:
Does anyone make a quad cab truck that can fit an Ultra with the tailgate closed?
sure, all the major automakers do. it'll cost ya though....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts