V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a motorcycle lift to use on a Electra Glide; what brand and model do you recommend? Any ideas on where to purchase and cost?

Thank-you!

·
Registered
38 Posts
if you have a SAM's club go there they have a nice one.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yea Sams Club.... 99 bucks. Had mine 2.5 years and it is great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Craftsman (Sears) makes one. You can usually find it on sale for $99. Works well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Don't have a Sam's Club around here but there is a unit at Costco but not sure of the brand or quality.

Want one reasonably priced but not at the expense of finding the bike laying on the floor on it's side!

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
For those who have these lifts(we refer to hundert dollar wonders):

1. How easy are they to use to change oil, etc.?
2. Do other type of repairs?
3. What kind of strap down is done with them?

Reason I ask is I'm in process of setting garage up to do minor stuff so H-D doesn't bend me over anymore. I've seen others costing a lot more - http://www.cyclelifts.com/ and http://www.cal-products.com/lifts.html I don't want to get something where bike falls over/off.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with what you're comfortable with. I'm using a Lincoln floor jack with a 2 X 12 across the saddle. Once its up in the air I use jack stands under the front and a couple of 4 X 4's under the back. That leaves the drain plugs clear for a regular catch pan. It's kind of a hassle to do it that way, but not enough to run out and spend $100 on a lift and then have yet another large shop tool to store and step over in my shop. The bike is a bit "tippy" going up but nothing I can't handle. Once its on the stands it's solid as anything.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
One thing that I use mine for is washing the bike as well. Makes it a hell of a lot easier.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm glad you put that in there Jimmy cause I was thinking what a pain in the ass it is to clean the spoke wheels on my bagger. That will save some time I can use to ride. Thank you! I had to have the spokes and gotta keep um clean.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
bike lift

Just saw a new bike lift that was bought at Cosco's. Like Sams but located in Mass. What a beautiful lift and comes with a great seat too. Seat has air adjust. Both sell together for 99.00
dollars. Great deal and I only wish i hadn't payed the three hundred at local Harley Dealer. I highly recommend the Cosco lift.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I found the one I got at Northern Tool won't slide under my 79 FLH without first running the front tire up on a plank to help raise the frame. Pain in the butt for me trying to balance bike and slide jack under too. Don't know but maybe the newer stuff has higher ground clearance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
lift

This lift I spoke of is used with a heritage and works fine, Should fit under a same size or ultra I would think. I can't tell you how well made the thing is, looks great and solid and the seat is worth the 99 bucks. I paid three times as much for a lesser quality lift. Check it out, can return if doesn't fit I would think..
Mike

·
Registered
686 Posts
I use the sams club $89 the only problem is the bike (02 flht) is not completly balanced so I use two ratchet tie downs. It is great for cleaning wheels also good for adjusting the primary and checking spokes saferiding rickpoco

·
Registered
48 Posts
Craftsman...It balances well for all the maintenance and cleaning with the exception of changing oils. $89 on sale a few months ago.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Got the Sears/Craftsman, too. Have to lay the jiffy stand down on a piece of 2x4 to clear the frame when I slide the lift under it. the rear pad needs to be under the front curved crossmember for the right balance point. Also needed to cut a bit off the safety bars so it didn't lift so damned high when you put it into safety mode... it is a LOT more stable with it rested on the safety bar. (Stock Safety Bar puts the front wheels about a foot off the ground...I just want it to clear the wheels for cleaning. 2nd and 3rd safety position is good for wheel removals. As a result of this and other forums, I'm told they are hard to keep in stock - I had to drive to 3 Sears to get one.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I have posted this before but since this is a new thread- There was a warning posted on another forum about the Sam's bike lift and the possibilty of the bolts shearing. Just inspect them every so often and be on the lookout. I replaced mine with grade 8 bolts. It was just too much money perched there in mid air to take a chance. It looked like the original bolts were grade 5.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just a quick thought on bolts. I would guess that the higher you raise the bike the less strain on everything, also if using tie downs just make them snug.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sears $ 100.00

1 - 20 of 31 Posts