V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have looked in the archived threads and am looking for a definitive answer as to whether a 200 tire will fit with no significant mods.

Also, if anyone has done the Dyna shock conversion with a 200 tire, I would love to hear how it went.

Tire recommendations from someone that has done it?

Thanks in advance,

Warren

2002 v-rod Ottawa, Ontario

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just saw a custom V-ROD built by Bartels' HD in Marina Del Rey, CA [310-823-1112] that has a 200 rear tire and the bike is lowered. I don't know what shocks they are using. The saleman I was talking to did not know what shocks they were. It was lowered about an inch I would guess. You may be able to talk to their shop and get more details. If you find out anything, please post it as I am about a year away from buying my own with the thought in mind of making it look close to the orange and black beauty that Bartels' has built but hopefull for less than the $34K they are asking. On a related item, I know that there was an ad in the November Thunder Press for a shop in CO that would sell 11.75" V-ROD shocks for $199 or shorten the existing ones for about $70. You may also want to check out the D&D slip ons for the V-ROD [see their web site at danddexhaust.com]. These pipes are very loud and the dyno run they give you shows 118 rear HP.

Mr. Z

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
I saw the bike at Bartel's. I think it has the Progressive shocks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
lowering kit and 200mm tire

I have spoken to Arlen Ness and they have a lowering kit available this month for the V-rod that relocates the top of the shock 1.5 inches thereby lowering the bike 1.5 inches. It is $159 USD. Progressive makes shocks that will fit the bike but as of now, only 1 inch lower. Kaz has the Fox shocks but I am not sure what model or how much lower they are. I think that I will order the lowering kit. I just would like to know if the slight angle diff of the relocated shock will make a ride difference.

Aparently, according to the owner of Samson Exhaust, you can fit a 200mm tire with no mods. Also, I believe one of the German companies says the same thing. Either Lottermans or Mikes Bikes.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
warrent,
If you can find a back issue of the July ,02 Easyriders there is an artical in it about "World's First Custom V-Rod". A guy named Bob McKay did the work for the guy that owns Samson Exhaust, you may have seen the bike. You may be in luck as his shop is also in Canada (McKay's Cycle Creations) in Shallow Lake, Ontario. Good Luck and keep us posted!
RVROD

·
Registered
265 Posts
When I talked with Dave at PM, He stated he has a V-Rod with a Metzler 880 200 series tire on the back now'Work Great"on the stock rim. The problem I is there are no matching front tires! My Metzler rep says a matching ME880 will be released this Spring! I would recommend anybody considering going this route wait until a matched set of tire is availible.

·
Registered
115 Posts
200mm tire

My HD dealer has suggested that the best rated tire for performance both ride and speed, is a 180mm. They say a 200mm or wider will sacrafice safety at high speed, and ride.........any comments????

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks like it depends who you talk to at PM. My call this AM I was told that they only make an 18x5.5 rear wheel for the V-ROD and that is the same size as stock I believe. I was told that they have "no experience" with the 200 tire fitting [disclaimer!!!]. I did order the July 02 Easyrider by calling 386-238-1645 and for $9 they send it out. Woudl like to read the article about the custom built for Samson. I'll bet he did not put his own pipes on without some serious mods...sound great, just don't run!

·
Registered
265 Posts
FYI: Looks like Mid Jan for a matching Front Me880. I,m going to install the 200 this week to check fitment. I don't know if I will be able to ride...4-5 inches tonight!
Best: Steve

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the responses. I found the Easyriders mag with the v rod article, and can take some pics with the digital camera tomorrow and post them tomorrow night.

Steve, thanks for trying the fit. Look forward to the update.

Warren

·
Registered
69 Posts
warrent

Dec. issue of American Iron has an ad from euro components with picture of a 240 rear tire conversion for the v-rod.

·
Registered
265 Posts
200 SERIES TIRE

This is the best picture I have now. I need better lighting!
Everything fits and clears with plenty of room. Install is a little different in that you have to remove the right shock to get the brake caliper on.
All in all no sweat. Profile looks good. Price $143.95

·
Registered
265 Posts
The tire is a 200/50-18 me880 Metzler. The front should be released soon!

Rvrod: please give me a call. I don't have your #

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have had the metzler 200 on for about 3 months had to notch lower belt guard a little at the bulge of tire ,no
problems in 1500 miles and handles great.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went out this weekend and got the Metzler ME880 200/50-18 for mine. Fits just fine except the lower belt guard rubbed. Moved it out just a touch and everything seems to be just fine now.

Really like the look of the bigger tire but didn't ride enough to really check out the handling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts