V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am getting pretty close to buying myself a Kimber for my primary carry. While I really like Ultra CDP II, I am leaning towards the Ultra TLE II. I am undecided about stainless or black. The CT grips do not excite me that much, and I am a lefty, which I believe makes those problematic. I would require night sights for certain. I want the front checkering on the grip, and feel I would prefer a rubber type grip as opposed to wood. My budget fit right with the cost of these.
I have done a search on this section of the forum, learned some things, and really just want a fresh set of opinions.

What are yours?

Thanks.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
The only Kimber I know anything about is my own. It's a Kimber Eclipse Pro II in .45 ACP. It's a terrific gun, but it has a steel frame so it's pretty heavy. I don't think I'd ever use it as a carry gun. Great workmanship, though. It does have night sights and checkering on the front of the grip, and I've replaced the original grips with laminates. I added a magwell extension too. Here it is:

·
Sua Sponte
442 Posts
I've got a Kimber ultra carry II, nice piece. but small for a 45. I have many, but the one I keep going back to is the glock 26. Small 9mm.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have the Pro CPD II, all Kimber's are well made and very good pistols. That being said, I just don't use mine for concealed carry. Last year I looked at all the Kimber Ultras, even the ones with laser grips, trying to find a pistol that I felt that I could carry. I still couldn't justify the weight and size for carry. I ended up buying a Rohrbaugh R9s and a Seecamp LWS-380. I have never been unhappy with either pistol. The Seecamp is with me everyday in my right front pocket. Just my $0.02 for what it is worth.

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
I have a Ultra CDP II, it's a decent gun but I did have some issues with it, the safety snapped in two, so I had all the MIM parts replaced with Wilson combat components, had the internals polish and springs replaced. Now it is completely reliable and the trigger breaks as nice as my Les Baer.

For concealed I recommend looking at small revolvers or 9mm's designed specifically for concealed carrybb

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Beretta PX4 that I like a lot, but it is too big for everyday and for summertime. I have a S&W BodyGuard 380 that I currently carry. No real issues with that. Very small, very accurate. I have been thinking about a .45 for sometime now.

Sublime, I had read about your issues in previous threads. That was a while ago, correct? Do you think it was an isolated incident? Or have you heard of similar problems?

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
I have a Beretta PX4 that I like a lot, but it is too big for everyday and for summertime. I have a S&W BodyGuard 380 that I currently carry. No real issues with that. Very small, very accurate. I have been thinking about a .45 for sometime now.

Sublime, I had read about your issues in previous threads. That was a while ago, correct? Do you think it was an isolated incident? Or have you heard of similar problems?
I actually own two Kimbers, I never had a problem with the full size custom classic. But when I did the MIM replacement treatment I did it to both firearms at the same time. I had them both worked and tuned by a knowledgable gunsmith. I simply will not own a firearm that I am not 110% confident in and after that component failure that is what it took for me to regain the confidence in these to firearms.

I still think Kimber makes a fine product, but I'd put several hundred rounds through it to make sure it is dead nuts reliable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm in the process of getting my ccw but recently purchased the gun I plan on carrying most of the time. A kahr pm45 is my choice. For a compact 45 its worth looking at.

·
OBSESSED
1,070 Posts
I'm in the process of getting my ccw but recently purchased the gun I plan on carrying most of the time. A kahr pm45 is my choice. For a compact 45 its worth looking at.
I'm looking at the pm9 with Crimson Trace. The barrel length is three inches and can carry in the front pocket. Pricey for a little gun. I wish they would let Kimbers in Mass. I would definitly own one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why won't they allow a Kimber in MA?

·
OBSESSED
1,070 Posts
Mass requires there own certification from manufacturers in addition to goverment certification. Some manufacturers don't want to spend the time and the money it takes to do this. Kimber is one of those companies.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Sig Sauer has just announced a new 9 MM small pistol for concealed carry, the P938. Pricey but all the good ones are.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm a bit leery of any 1911 frame with a slide under 4 inches. Every one I've seen has issues. A gunsmith who I trust has said the mass of the small slide creates problems that require tuning. The Commander style is not that much bigger overall.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with Rscalzo, 4" minimum where 1911's are concerned.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a bit leery of any 1911 frame with a slide under 4 inches. Every one I've seen has issues. A gunsmith who I trust has said the mass of the small slide creates problems that require tuning. The Commander style is not that much bigger overall.
Am I correct in assuming you mean barrel length and not slide?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sig Sauer has just announced a new 9 MM small pistol for concealed carry, the P938
They also have the P290 which is very small.

Am I correct in assuming you mean barrel length and not slide?
they are the same for the most part. In VERY few examples, the barrel is longer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with Rscalzo, 4" minimum where 1911's are concerned.
Yes, I have had a chance to shoot around with these, and they tend to jam ALOT during ejection with a .45.

Sig Sauer has just announced a new 9 MM small pistol for concealed carry, the P938. Pricey but all the good ones are.
^THIS

Also I carry a Kimber 1911 desert warrior .45. 5" barrel and I love it. The gun is the smoothest one I have ever shot and is dead nuts. Groups of 4-5" during rapid fire at 15yrds.

If your looking for something compact and nice, I recomend the hammerless revolver from S&W, every ccw instructor I have talked with highly recomends these guns.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
When I want to carry light, like tonight, I carry my Kimber PRO CDP. It's sitting in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and I barely notice it's there.

If weight isn't the issue, I'll pack my Wilson Combat Protector which is all stainless steel.

I'd say I have the Wilson with me about 60% of the time and the Kimber the other 40%. Both are very reliable .45 ACP 1911's.

I also own a Kimber Grand Raptor but with the pretty bluing on that gun, I do not place it in a holster. Both the Kimber PRO CDP and the Wilson Combat show no holster were at all, even after thousands of hours in the leather.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts