V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking at a 1994 RK with 46K miles that is absolutely pristine other than mileage. I dont know enough about the evo engine to determine what its actual life should be. The seller is the original owner and the only mods to the engine is the stage one kit (bike has carb.), pipes and a mild street cam. Owner is ex-harley tech who is retired. I am concerned that if I buy the bike, I might be looking at an engine rebuild in the near future.
Can anyone shed light on the evo engine design and how long one might go before rebuild time?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't Be Overly Concerned About the Miles

If the bike is in pristine condition and has been properly maintained, I wouldn't worry too much about 46,000 miles. I have a '94 Road King with 75,000 miles on it. The only major work that has been done to it was a valve job a few thousand miles ago. Last fall, the top end of the engine was removed because the engine was making a knocking noise (the problem turned out to be only a loose compensating sprocket nut). While the top end was off the mechanic checked the connecting rods free play. Both rods were still within specifications. An inspection of the cylinders showed they still had crosshatching! The engine was still in good shape and the mechanic concluded that it should be good for many more trouble free miles. The oil on my Road King has been changed every 3000 miles.

I have a friend who had a '93 FLHTC with 103,000 miles on it when he sold it. He never had to do any major engine work on that bike and it ran great when he sold it. He also changed his oil every 3000 miles.

So, given what you said about the FLHR that you're looking at, I wouldn't let the miles on the bike be too big of a concern to you.

Mike
'94 FLHR

·
Registered
657 Posts
You are right. That's too many miles for that bike.
The nerve of that guy trying to sell it to you in that condition.
What's his phone number? I'll call him up and give him a piece of my mind. :D
No, seriously, it sounds like a great bike. One that has been maintained by a HD mechanic.
A bud of mine has an old Electra Glide Classic with 140,000 miles on it. All he has put in it has been valve seals at about 100k.
It has been serviced regularly with dino oil and keeps up with a new
Twin Cam.
Enjoy your new/old bike. 46k is nothing if it has been properly maintained and it sounds like this one has.

Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Registered
169 Posts
The mid-90s are perfect in so many ways.
adaptable?
YES
This is my 94
Install new swingarm bushings and a 3rd link,.
Do some reasonalbe mods to the engine will get you an EZ 80 HP

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Now it is newer.
Recycled.
Woke.
Agitated.
Coagulated
Harmonized.
Pasteurized.