V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

I joined the forum a few weeks back, I am finally at a point in my live where I can afford a nice HD, but I just dont' know yet .. wich one :p

I allways had Japanese bikes, so when it comes to american bikes, I am very inexperienced, but all my live I told myself .. "one day I wil have a Harley .." ;) (who doesn't)

Unfortunately the local dealers here is kind of a prissy one, I go in and ask a million questions of course (and I make a poitn in telling him, I am BYING one), but becuase I am not a very knowladgeble person on HD's .. I get absolutely NO respect, I was waiting for the guy to tell me to go buy a yamaha or something :mad:

Now, I worked in sales before, I knwo how abnoxious some clients can be, so I try not to be one, but just mentioning to the guy I allways had *** bikes seems to had rub him the wrong way ..

That is not the attitude I found on these forums, so here I am, askign for some help, and to begin, is there any Magazines dedicated ONLY to HD's ? that I can do some research on ?

Second, has anybody done any work on the VROD and manage to put a fat tire on the back ? (240+)

Thank you

Carlos

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Hello Carlos, welcome to the Forum. Check out the Main Page of the forums and look under the Magazines section. "Hot Bike" "American Rider" are among the few good mags with a wealth of knowledge. The other members here are sure to chime in on this thread.

Don't think the V-Rod's frame can handle a 240+ tire.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Carlos,

Welcome aboard. First off, find another dealer. That guy's a DICK. Check out "American Iron". I think it's the best H-D rag out there. Also, the H-D website, harley-davidson.com, will give you details on all the models. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions here

Dean

·
Registered
629 Posts
I agree, find a new dealer. My dealer was more then friendly when I walked in. I had a lot of reasons why I half way expected poor treatment, and received none.

Only rode *** bikes
Never a street bike
Went in for a used (basically, no mark up) Buell Blast.

My local dealer kinda just blows me off when I mention Buell, let alone mentioning Blast.

All the technical info you need for a factory bike is on the HD web site. The only questions then are, what do you want?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Don't worry about the dealer you encountered, this ain't a popularity contest. You should walk in with somewhat of an idea of what you want. Walking in and asking him is the wrong approach anyway. Hell he is a salesman. My bet is that his idea of what is best for you will be dependent of what he has on the showroom floor at the time.

Get familure with the bikes first. Here try this.....

http://www.barnetth-d.com/entry01.htm

That is the link to Barnetts here in Texas. I am not suggesting you buy from them, but their web site is a good place to start looking at the different styles. They have a buttload of bikes so check out the site and see what gets ya going.

THEN, when you walk into a dealership, get a closer look and do so with an idea of what you want.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys

Lots of good info here, and just to clarify, I allways had an idea on my mind of what I what . I kind of fancy the dragsters styles with a fat butt :) .. my problem is, I have no idea for instance if the difference between a hard or soft tail harley, and a few other things ..

I am in FL .. maybe I will take a drive to Daytona or Orlando, I heard the dealers there are quite good as well :)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Welcome to the world of HD! Read all the messages here and you might not need to buy any magazines. This sight is loaded with a wealth of information. And yes, find another dealer!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Regarding the V-Rod with a fat tire, they come stock with a 180, which isn't too bad but I saw in this last month issue of American Iron (another real good Mag) that someone has come out with a kit to replace the stock swing arm with a wider one to allow for a 250. Let me go back and look at it for more details first, but I fairly sure there is one out there now.

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ok I was wrong; it’s a 240 tire, not 250. The place that has the chrome swingarm, swingarm axle, wheel axle, trans offset pulley, spacers and all the hard ware is a company called Eurocomponents Inc. their web address is www.eurocomponentsusa.com and are located in Daytona Beach Fl, phone number is 386-274-5729. Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey dude good luck, but before shell the bucks, set your butt on a "real" V-twin, sure YAMAYOURMAMMA has 1 so does the others, and sure they are alot cheaper.........................look at what it really is, feel it, check the resale out...........when you pull up to a lite "all" are looking on a real scoot, with the others......well test drive...............if'n you still ain't got a clue.........damn, maybe in your next life........

·
Registered
695 Posts
JimmyK,
Thanks for posting that link. I pretty much feel like a fool now. My dealer told me that all the 02 FXDWG's were gone. There is a black 02 FXDWG (what I want) at that dealer right now with only 2 miles on it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Independent shop in CT?

Does anyone know of a good independent shop in or around central CT? I'd like to get some work done on my scoot now and in the future without having to take a loan out to pay the money grabbing dealers in CT.

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts