V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice heads. Whats the specs of the Crane cam?
I/E
Lift 490/500
Duration 252/262
Valve timing 23-49/56-26

Similar to the EV 5 I'm running now. But with a little less lift. Probably to keep the valve to piston clearance acceptable when its retarded.

3500 up cam. The main thing with Crain is that the cam gear is keyed, and you can advance or retard the cam 4 degrees just by using a different keyway in the gear.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Are those chambers for flat top pistons? Doesn't look like there is much room for any kind of a dome. I suppose if you needed more compression, it would come from shaving the heads.

Do you know the volume?

I ran an EV51 in an early 85 solid mount EVO and was pretty happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
22,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are those chambers for flat top pistons? Doesn't look like there is much room for any kind of a dome. I suppose if you needed more compression, it would come from shaving the heads.

Do you know the volume?

I ran an EV51 in an early 85 solid mount EVO and was pretty happy with it.
Flat or poptop. IIRC, 9.5 with oem pistons. 9.6 with KB flatops. And whatever you want with poptops. My guess is a milled 10.5 piston for an oem head would get you up around 12.5. The down side is that if you start upping the inches, you need dished pistons. And you can't make them off the shelf. They have to be ordered special.

Other than the raised floor ports and reversion dam, the small chamber is one of the upgrades. Gives you a huge squish area. I don't know who was acting as their Rabbi when they did these, but it sure look like the kind of stuff Burt was doing back in the 90's.

·
Registered
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
469 Posts
I put them on a 1996 electraglide about 6 years ago for a customer . Ev 46 cam. Stock pistons. Suppertrapp 2into1 exhaust. Bike ran awesome on the low end. You could drag it down to 1200 rpm and it would take off. Can’t say about the top I never got it over 80 but ran great. They have 12mm spark plug holes. Below is the instruction sheet.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put them on a 1996 electraglide about 6 years ago for a customer . Ev 46 cam. Stock pistons. Suppertrapp 2into1 exhaust. Bike ran awesome on the low end. You could drag it down to 1200 rpm and it would take off. Can’t say about the top I never got it over 80 but ran great. They have 12mm spark plug holes. Below is the instruction sheet.
What's the threaded hole in the center of the front head? I have both sets of instructions off of the service portal and neither one mentions it. Only thing I can think of is that it was intended for a temp sensor for the MM injection.

My digital gauges hae a temp reporting function, so I'm thinking I might put a temp sender in it just for shits and giggles. Or I could use it for an automatic fan system like I have on the 110.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Therm I have no idea what that hole is for, actually I don't remember seeing it this was 5 or 6 years ago. I know the owner of a small Indy outside Rapid City and he put them on his son's FXR a few years back. I'll give him a call. Can you post a picture?

·
Super Moderator
22,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Therm I have no idea what that hole is for, actually I don't remember seeing it this was 5 or 6 years ago. I know the owner of a small Indy outside Rapid City and he put them on his son's FXR a few years back. I'll give him a call. Can you post a picture?
I thought it was for a compression release at first. But its just a blind hole.

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Rim

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes now I remember. I thought that was for a compression release also, just wasn't drilled thru if you were not using releases, but it was the wrong thread size for the S&S electric compression releases. However someone use to make a cable operator compression release that fit it. They had two cables into one knob like a choke knob that pulled both at the same time. Can't remember the company name.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts