V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my first HD which was a 79 Lowrider I had 2 grand in my pocket and decided to take off on the rode. I took a few clothes, a tent and sleeping bag and a few toilit articles and of course my tools. I hit the road out of Seattle on August 1986 and decided to visit the folks in North Carolina. It felt good to be free on the hiway. My first stop that night was in Spokane and I pulled into a rest area and rolled out the ol' sleeping bag.
After a good nights sleep I tooled into Colorado the next evening and crashed hard. That morning I got up and met up with a rider and we rode together all the way to Kansas City Mo. He was riding back and forth between the east and west coast working at odd jobs here and there but mostly bouncing in bars.
I had an old bro who had a Heritage whom I did some time in the military with who lived in Mars Hill Mo. So I stopped in and visited for a couple of weeks. He had just bought his ol lady a 883 huger and together all three of us would take off in the morning and ride and explore the country side.There is some beautiful hills with grat switchbacks in the great state of Mo.
Well 2 days later I rolled into North Carolina with glazed clutch plates and a worn out chain. The local dealerships had me fixxed in no time and after a few weeks with family I was off to Orlando Fla. to visit my brother. A week with his family and I was on the road again back to North Carolina one last time to visit the family. A week with them and I was on the road and heading back to Seattle. Of course I had to stop again in Mo. to visit my bro again. A coupleof days there an I had to geton the road again and head for home.
When I hit South Dakota I decided to stop at Mount Rushmore. I tell ya, what an awsome sight. That was the highlight of my road trip.
Well anyway to make a long story short I pulled back into Seattle in Oct and had logged over 8'000 miles. I put the bike up for 9 months and figured I needed to rest for awhile.
Anyone out there ever had any similar experiences?

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Hey ArchAngel, didn't see you slip in. Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you had quite a ride! I love to ride myself but taking that much time off for an extended journey is not usually the choice I can make. It would leave me with no more time off from work for the rest of the year. But I've always wanted to do it and may some day, who knows. I envy those who do it though and love to hear about it. Thanks for the interesting story and post some more for us when you can. Glad to have you here.

Thanks man,

·
Registered
297 Posts
WOW, what a road trip, I'd love to be able to do something like that, but if I left my job for that long I wouldn't have one when I got back and I've got too many bills to pay to not have a job.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Road Trip.

ARCHANGEL,

Enjoyed your story, I was riding my scooter all the way while I was reading about your trip. I went on a road trip in July '99 that lasted 20 days on the pavement with just over7,800 miles. Went from Mo. to West Yellowstone, North into Canada then back to Mt. and cruised west thru ID. Too many misses with wild life up there to joke about, but that is to be expected .

Putting up every nite with the tent and sleeping bag is great for me, but there is more rain in Washington then i bargined for. Decided to try out the nite life for 2 days in Vancover, B.C. That was a blast. Met 3 ladies in a club, they would'nt let me pay for a drink, so I had to partake of there hospitality for international harmonys sake. That particular hang over was worth it, I have to admit.

From Vancover back to the U.S. and Hwy. 101 to San Francisco with several stops along the way. Traveled to Chandler, AZ. and visited with mu daughter and the grand kids before headig out thru New Mexico to Texas and then North back to Mo. Just cannot get that trip out of my mind. Just makes me want to go on another one.

Ride Safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts