V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking a ride today I paid attention to my low end gearing and came to the conclusion that it was too short.

Is there a way to "lengthen" the gearing, especially 1st and 2nd gears?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh - nooo, my FLSTC ..............

Hoges,

Thanks any suggestions for what to swap it6 out with?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Done a little looking around and it looks as though the number of teeth on the Pulley is what makes the difference; however, all I have found are 33 teeth pulleys which, from all accounts, don't apparently make a a hole lot of difference.

To be honest, I thought the only way to get longer legged gearing was to change the actual gears????

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ahh - nooo, my FLSTC ..............
I forget what bike you have. If it has a 5 speed, you can (not you, but someone else) replace the 1st gear set with the close ratio versions (2.94) and pick up an extra 5-10 mph in first. Well worthwhile in a lighter bike. That stock 3.24 1st is more to get heavy bikes moving. And if you are racing, it gives you more time to get your foot up to the shifter before you have to go to 2nd. Not important with an air or electric shifter, but a great help if you row your own.

If you change that pulley, it will call for an adjustment for the speedo too. They have plug in devices to do that adjustment.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoges and wombat457

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forget what bike you have.
97 FLSTC

If it has a 5 speed, you can (not you, but someone else)
I like that - someone else :D (y)

replace the 1st gear set with the close ratio versions (2.94) and pick up an extra 5-10 mph in first. Well worthwhile in a lighter bike. That stock 3.24 1st is more to get heavy bikes moving.
Yeah, that's how the gearing feels to me - first is just to get the bike moving.

If you change that pulley, it will call for an adjustment for the speedo too. They have plug in devices to do that adjustment.
I assume a HD Stealership can do that as well?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It might be easier just to go into your account details and add a signature. It shows up at the bottom of every post. You can put pertinent info about your bike there, like make and model, mileage and mods, that could help someone that is willing to help to keep from having to guess what you have. You get anywhere from 1 to 4 lines to put your info and it doesn't have to be just that. look around at some other members sig. See what is possible.

Reactions: wombat457

·
Registered
728 Posts
Baker sells a five speed gear set with a close ratio first gear and a R ratio second gear. Their R ratio second is almost right in the middle the close ratio first gear and the oem ratio third gear.

·
Super Moderator
22,578 Posts
1st gear is short because it the one you use for tight low speed maneuvers. Let's you keep the motor spun up even though you are going slow. It really has no other use except for pulling off. Second is just for those little towns with 20-25 mph speed limits. The top two gears are the ones that make a difference. You don't want to need to shift a lot in the 55-60 mph range.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
bottom line is if you change pulley/sproket ratios its acros the board all gear speeds...and/or....swap gears is a ball of wax/work..but you prob already know that...just how much work you want to do? to customize your gearing desires

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bottom line is if you change pulley/sproket ratios its acros the board all gear speeds...and/or....swap gears is a ball of wax/work..but you prob already know that...just how much work you want to do? to customize your gearing desires
I don't know at this point, changing the gearing was something I thought about yesterday when out on a ride. Just seemed to me that you were in and out of 1st gear before you got any where and 2nd wasn't much better.

I think now that I am doing (getting done) some work on the bike to improve performance I am taking more note of things such as 3rd being a bit too high (rpm wise) for a 30 mph limit while 4th seems a bit to low, almost as though I need a 3.5 gear :)

Anyway, it was just something that I was wondering about and perhaps something to think about for next year.

Reactions: meandean4570

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What RPM is it running at 30 MPH in 3rd gear?
No idea as I don't have a tacho ... just sounds (and feels) too high for 30 MPH. I drove crash box Macks for a bit so I do have a good ear for revs.

Come to think of it I probably shouldn't worry about the rev until AFTER I get the cam and so forth done. See if that does anything.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
A 34 tooth is an easy front upgrade(need socket tool tho)max size...and the primary all off too...and use same belt im pretty sure?...and with a less tall rear pully prob nd diff len belt.....the 34 in front(only) is usually satisfying...with the(both) combo youll need a diff len belt tho...and dont cancel the front with the rear count mod...just try the 34 in front first...get steel one also....dont know what you have now...sounds like geared too low as you describe....or go with a smaller rear (much easier job)and prob need a belt...they dont make a stock 1 or two tooth smaller rear pulley?(or pay$)... so as to stay with the same belt length...i forget the next increment down stock pully size you have to go with

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yep i run a baker 33 with a 160-80 -16 and that does the Job Speedo out 6mph no bigy. 1 tooth equals 1/8 belt Adj. Also my 5 speed is turned by a hopped 107cu TC. Also 98 on 5 speed primary gearing was changed From 24 to 25 F & 37 to 36 R on Softy's

·
Registered
18,013 Posts
ou don't want to need to shift a lot in the 55-60 mph range.
Which is where my scooter is. I can't shift into 5th until 60. So when I'm in back road traffic, I find myself shifting more than I want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts