V-Twin Forum banner

Long Term Storage

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Ross 
#1 ·
I might be moving out of the country for 18 months to a place where you cannot own Motorcycles ( Bermuda) . A lot of questions have been asked about storage over the winter, but what about storage for 18 months or so wih very limited use is there anything special I should be doing other than the normal winter storage proceedures. I have seen bike bags with Silica Gel etc, anyone use this. ALso spraying the bike with protectant Oil etc etc.

And know selling it is not an option......!!

#4 ·
Bermuda---cool

When I was stationed there the largest bike on the island was 250cc but everyone rides MoPed's over there so you will be able to at least ride.

I would recommend putting bike on a stand or crate so the wheel bearings don't get flat spots on them.
Wash, wax and polish everything.
Change the oil and all fluids fill the fuel tank full with a fuel stablizer.
Drain float bowl and re-fill it until stablized fuel is in it.
Hook up a battery tender.
Use a very secure cable lock and lock it to something solid.
Cover and try not to worry.
:)

#6 ·
I agree with Jams. Get it off the floor, especially if its concrete as it will dry out your tires. Get the tank as full as possible, this will reduce the condensation in the tank and keep the tank from rusting.

#8 ·
All recommendations sound good but keep in mind where you are storing it above all.... Battery Tender is good if someone will check on it from time to time.... Storing it on some that is "fixed" like a crate could cause a problems if someone has to move it due to flooding or a fire. 18 months may seem like a long term storage but in fact the bearing won't get flat spots on them in that length of time... If that were the case may as well be made out of lead... A full tank prevents condensation and rust but if storage is in a warm or hot place during the summer, expansion could be a concern... Sta-Bil is a good product but not fool-proof as some would have you believe.... It will stabilize a good percentage of the gas but dirt particals still settle to the bottom of the tank... Really can't prevent that from happening and Sta-bil is better then nothing... If you leave the bike in storage in a cold climate......and someone heats the storage area from time to time, keep in mind that condensation will collect on cold metal parts and leave you with spots all over the bike. A bike cover alone won't prevent it.... best thing is to use a dehumidifier when the storage area is being heated.. Thoes little desicant (dry bags) won't do any good unless they are kept in sealed containers without himidity changes......... Expensive storage bubbles have worked for me in the past but again not fool-proof... Time just has a way of working things over........ JUST my .02 Since I've been there and done that many many times and leaned from my mistakes..... Fire, Flooding, and theft are the major concerns and if you lock the forks or wheels on the bike for security (theft) then if a fire comes along, well you get the picture... A secure spot is the best opton (hidden away from view)

#10 ·
Thanks Doug, all good advice, it is in a secure garage with an attendant and heated. I have got a battery tender and a riding buddy will check on it. I think I will give him the keys and he can take it for a spin once a month. I was looking at buying the Harley Bubble but I think the best option is to keep the bike moving. If he uses he can clean it to....!!

#11 ·
I would think that after the 18 months it would be important to change all the fluids, including the gas and all filters. One other thought. Why not remove the battery? Have it stored separately like on a shelf. There is no urgent reason to have the battery connected for that 18 months. If it is close and your friends NEEDS to move the bike, a simple connection can be done. The WORST case is you need to buy a new battery upon your return.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.