V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An opportunity to re-deploy on another UNDPKO mission has presented its self. If I go I will have to put my Electra Glide in long term storage. Does this look like it will do the trick for long term preservation? May be up on blocks for 2+ years. Thanks!

1. Fresh service
2. Disconnect battery
3. Drain fuel
4. New tires, brakes and proper inflation pressure
5. Wash and dry, coat bike with S-100 corrosion protectant.
6. Store on jack off of ground
7. Breathable cover.

Am I missing anything? Any input would be appreciated!
:coffee:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
1 I would do before and after storage
2 i would take it out of bike
3 a lot of opinions on that some say drain, some say fill up will gas and stabil
4 I would get new tires and brake when it comes OUT of storage...may dry rot in garage over 2 years
5 Definitely....
6 yes if possible
7 yes if possible
*others will chime in on more tip and tricks but these are my opinions, your may vary......try a google search as a lot of other opinions will pop up...

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Looks like a good list to me, too. I'd replace the tires coming out of storage. Nothing to be gained by storing new rubber.

I've always stored with a full gas tank with stabil. The inside of the tank can't rust/corrode if it's full to the brim with fuel.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Make sure there are no chemicals/materials stored in the garage with the bike that could promote corrosion such as chlorine.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Peacekeeper said:
May be up on blocks for 2+ years. Thanks!

Am I missing anything? Any input would be appreciated!
:coffee:
Unless for sentimental reasons or something like that I would say sell the bike and put the money in a CD for a couple of years.

Two years from now you will have a two year older low mileage bike that has been in storage for two years. -2$en#e-

You can always rent a bike when you come home for vacation or short periods when you are not deployed.

I don't know,,,,, it just don't make much sense to store a bike for that long of a period unless there is some serious sentimental reasons that tie you to that bike.
I would rather not worry about if mice are nesting in the taillight.
Peace of mind is worth a lot by knowing you have the cash in the bank and are just a phone call away from it being placed on a band new bike when you are done with the deployment and ready to be home for awhile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts