V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fuk ya'll, I'm from TEXAS
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my legs are too long. I am 6' 4" soooo i lowered my footboards on my Geezer Glide. Good, except for one little thing, I scrape in turns. I see alot about lowering bikes anyone ever raise one??????

all else fells I will put pegs on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
re:long legs,help

I too am tall(6'3")with long legs.I own a '06 raod king custom.When I bought the bike one of the salesperson told me about a company called accutronix which make forward controls for baggers.It extends the foot position about 9 inches foward.I bought a set and the riding position is much better.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
captainlee said:
my legs are too long. I am 6' 4" soooo i lowered my footboards on my Geezer Glide. Good, except for one little thing, I scrape in turns. I see alot about lowering bikes anyone ever raise one??????

all else fells I will put pegs on.
Captainlee -

I have the opposite problem but I still scrape in turns. We just need to slow down!!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
jetman said:
....accutronix which make forward controls for baggers.It extends the foot position about 9 inches foward.I bought a set and the riding position is much better.

Hey man, I'm in the middle of making a set of forward controls for my RK. I'm curious about the 9" of leg room. Where do you figure they measure that additional leg from? Would like to get a picture of those installed too, a close up so I can see how they deal with the stock brake pedal pivot stud....

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is measured form the center of the floorboard to the peg.you can go to www.accutronix.com to see them on a bagger.They're not cheap(over 800.00).I bought mine from backyard performance which saved me a few dollars.

·
Banned
20 Posts
There are also kits to install adjustable boards to position them where they are best. There are also others that make extended controls for bagger models, Accutronix is one of those.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
HD sells a reach seat for folks with tall legs that raises you, and moves you back a bit. They're pretty comfy too with that extra padding.

·
RickT
36 Posts
Higher seat height may be the solution.

Captainlee - I also am 6'4" and have an Ultra. With the bike stock, my knees were in the way. I got a seat from the Harley catelog - I think it was called "tall boy seat". It raised me up about two inches and moved me back about a half an inch. The new seat changed the leg angle at the knees so that they are no longer in the way. This worked real well for me. It might be worth trying this before lowering the floorboards. - Rick

·
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
first thanks for all the replies. but noone answered my original question.

has anyone raised a bike?

I have already moved the floorboards thanks to my cutting torch, grinder and welder to a more comfortable position ( one that I can live with except for the scraping on tight turns. Now the scraping is not extremely bad so I was thinking of raising the bike an inch or so??????

anyone.....anyone.......????

as for the surgeon, screw him, I asked to remove a couple of inches off my legs and move the couple of inches elsewhere ... he said NO.:hmmm:

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
I cant think of any reason why raising the bike 1" front AND rear would be any kind of issue at all. After market fork springs with spacer cut, stiffer oil in them, and shocks would be a nice easy way.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
my bike is not raised but will be when the time comes to service forks,,i have personally seen it and it works fine,,2 eg glides at same speed in corners,, the raised bike clears the pavement ,, the stock(mine) doesnt ,, when the 2 bikes sit side by side it is a noticable differance in the clearance from the ground to floorboards ,,,installing spacers in the front can raise it 1inch,,,that will raise your floorboards and we all know 1 inch can make a significant differance on a bike , you can use axle spacers or even pvc pipe,, the front will make a big change on floorboard height ,, i have never seen or heard of anyone raising the back , i would be interested in hearing how too

·
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
woodwalkertc88 said:
installing spacers in the front can raise it 1inch,,,that will raise your floorboards and we all know 1 inch can make a significant differance on a bike , you can use axle spacers or even pvc pipe,, the front will make a big change on floorboard height ,, i have never seen or heard of anyone raising the back , i would be interested in hearing how too
can you give me more details on the spacers in the front?

·
BFFB
833 Posts
the spacers sit on top of the springs , which compress's them more , adds to preload and makes the bike sit a little higher ,its like a longer stiffer spring ,, the poor mans method to a little stiffer suspension , im not sure but i think it was the old way to make a chopper ,, they didnt have longer springs just more compressed springs , my reason for wanting to do this is mostly a little stiffer suspension up front ,and if i can corner harder without grinding thats a bonus ,, my bike is an 03 with with 37k miles so its about ready for service,,i have the cartridge but the cartridge didnt help so the moco canned the idea ,, my stock suspension is a mushy nose diving ride

·
BFFB
833 Posts
the guy i ride with did his 03 ultra when it was new , just this summer we have ridden the smokies and done 5 - long weekenders to arkansas , so i know the rider and bike well , we ride stupidly close in the mountains ,,it works fine ,, it was also done on older bikes and even dirt bikes ,, before people spent so much cash on after markets upgrades , it serves the same purpose

·
Registered
404 Posts
Some more .02...

Just installed a set of Progressive suspension fork springs in the FLHT, They come with 2 flat washers and 2 sections of PVC. Install the springs, place the washers on top of the springs, look up the measurement for your particular Glide and it will give you the "recommended" length of the pvc spacer to cut. Cut it 1/4" to 1/2" longer and try it out.

For me, 1/4" plus the new springs worked fine. Definitly made the front of the bike sit almost 5/8" higher.
A 1/2" longer spacer may give you more hieght, but it would also make the ride a lot harsher during the compression stroke , due to the springs having a lot of preload on them.

If you must have the front be 1" or more taller and want to have the suspension ride the way it does currently. Forks by Franks offers replacement Fork sliders for around $125 for the pair and you can get them cut to any length desired. A set of them 1" longer than stock combined with a set of progressive fork springs and a the recommended spacer length plus 1", would give you the increased ride hieght your looking for without the "harshness" in the compression stroke while riding.

Custom shocks could be made that would be 14.5" eye to eye to raise the rear of the bike as well. Or you could fab a 1" tall block-bracket that sits on the swing arm and uses your stock shocks to give you the increase in hieght.
Either method will work, but raising the rear an 1" will definitly raise your center of gravity and handeling will change, much more than just raising the front 1".

If you do go with raising the rear an inch, you'll need to make sure your axle adjusters have enough travle to take all the slop out of the rear drive belt and run it at it's proper tension Moving the wheel all the way back in the swing arm will also increase your wheelbase on the bike and handeling will change somewhat, i.e. a little slower. If the adjusters don't let you take all the slack up you would need to get a shorter drive belt.

All of it is doable, just make sure the mods you do to raise it don't negativly impact the handeling.

·
Custom Builder
1,263 Posts
Since stock is 13",going to a 14.5" unit might change the rake & trail figures enough to make for a squirrelly handler. Maybe,,maybe not. 14" shocks would definitely quicken up the steering,,maybe even enough to cause oscillations at high speeds. That would be a concern with these flexy flier chassis'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts