V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my first ride on the new '07 FLHP. 250 miles out and 250 back the next day. Really enjoyed the air seat with about 25-30 lbs in it with no burn at all.

It did not take long however to start getting a lower back ache. Being a new bike my buds rode it as well and all had the same comments. We are different heights from 5'8" to 6'0".

Reach to the bar seems ok but am not used to extending my legs that far forward. I am told that I need to get a back rest but not sure if that can be done with the air ride seat. Dont really want to ruin that look anyway.

Have been looking for mid mount boards or pegs to set my feet back with no luck.

My other bike is an FJR with my feet tucked up much closer and I do not have to deal with this. A new experience I can do without.

What a pain.

Has anybody else experienced the back ache and how did you fix it?​

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Boostman,
I love the Police Solo Seat on my 2005 FLHPI. That's despite the shortfalls:
-I can't put my feet flat on the ground when sitting still (I'm looking into lowering the bike 1")
-I have to reach for the handlebars (I will for sure put 10-12" Apes on the bike this winter)
I do get a sore back on long rides from having to reach for the bars. I'm 5'9" @ 195lbs.
I'm currently devising a backrest that attaches to the seat itself, I'll post pictures of it when I'm done with it (a month or so, probly) There's been other posts here about backrests for Police Solo seats. It doesn't look promising for a commercially available, reasonably priced backrest. Even if I make extra components for the one I'm coming up with, and sell those at cost to members here, it will still cost $300 when it's all said and done.
As far as floorboards, Kuryakin makes long floorboards (pricey, $300) that may work for you. I've seen brackets somewhere that will move the stock floorboards back, but I can't seem to find the link right now. For myself, I got rid of the heel shifter, and added longer toe shifter and longer brake pedal so I got more room on the boards. Floorboards ROCK! I moved up from a '92 Sporty, so these boards are a dream.

For me, I just HAD to have that Solo seat, so I've resigned myself to having to make adjustments so it suits me.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
It is not the floorboards that have to get moved forward, it is the brake and shifter lever. I tryed a couple, but the EZ brake lever and their shift lever made all of the difference. The brake lever puts the pad rightat the end of the board about 1in up. I don't use the heel shift, my ankle is to messed up, but the toe shift farther out is great.

On my 04, the seat was to tall, I was going to lengthen the T-bar and drop the front of the seat. I was either going to find shorter air bags or use springs. I was planning on using the 70s buddy seat rail, looks good. And then have a skirt of heavy leather with some studs on it to cover the underside of the seat. I went to a Corbin solo instead.

The bars that I had were 10" tall and narrower than stock Road King bars. I was told that they were Heritage bars, but then later found out that they were a little different. I was told by the head mech at the city garage that these handlebars were used because thwt could adjust to fit anyone.

I weigh 270 and 30# is to hard for me. If you go to much less, it feels like you are riding on a cloud, but leave the rear shocks firm for better control.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I got the backache to from long time in the saddle. I had to start wearing a tighter fitting leather vest to keep me from slouching. Eventually, I had to go with another saddle because with the Mustang pad on the back, my wife could not see over my big head.

I tinkered with adjusting the floorboards before that to get the right leg position for me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
an old chrome v seat rail from a buddy seat can work on your police seat. before i started riding two up all the time with my gal, i put a police solo on my 98 road king. i simply drilled two holes in the stock t bar for the rail to mount. the other mounting points kinda worked themselves out. it gave some support. if you could find one of the factory pads that went with the buddy seat rails,now that would do it. they have gotten hard to find from time to time.
the most comfy seat i have happened by accident. i took an extra stock police seat that had some tears in it. stripped everything off it including the padding. but left the plastic support hooked to the rear. i then had an upholstery shop put some gel padding in it and cover it in a nice black covering. even sowed in the harley emblem from the old cover and added some black/chrome road king spots to the rear.75 bucks back in 2001. the low bucket and support on the rear just locked me in perfectly. more comfortable than the thick padded stock police seat and lowers you down an inch at least. probably a little more. rode this seat to sturgis and back in '01 at 4200 miles in 6 days. no butt problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
57 Posts
comfort

I have a 02 FLHPI with stock police seat and it is great for me. I am 5'8" and 180lbs. I can go 500 miles or so without an issue. Sometimes I will put my luggage on a passenger pad for a backrest but other than that I ride it out. I also have passenger pegs and on long trips I will ride with my feet back on the pegs just for a change of posture.
If you are not accustomed to a long ride it will wear on you. I was used to taking 400-500 miles trips then my bike was down when I converted to carb for 3 weeks and when I jumped back on the bike for a 100mile ride it hurt my lower back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Boostman said:
Took my first ride on the new '07 FLHP. 250 miles out and 250 back the next day. Really enjoyed the air seat with about 25-30 lbs in it with no burn at all.

It did not take long however to start getting a lower back ache. Being a new bike my buds rode it as well and all had the same comments. We are different heights from 5'8" to 6'0".

Reach to the bar seems ok but am not used to extending my legs that far forward. I am told that I need to get a back rest but not sure if that can be done with the air ride seat. Dont really want to ruin that look anyway.

Have been looking for mid mount boards or pegs to set my feet back with no luck.

My other bike is an FJR with my feet tucked up much closer and I do not have to deal with this. A new experience I can do without.

What a pain.

Has anybody else experienced the back ache and how did you fix it?​

I cratered an '02 FLHTCI and took the stock seat from it for the '06 FLHPI. You can buy that seat from Harley. Very comfortable on long rides (200 and 300 mi rides so far). It has good lumbar support but it's a two-up seat, FWIW.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts