V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longer Rear Shocks on a Street Glide

After numberous FLH type bikes I bought a Street Glide last year. I love the bike but I'm not crazy about the lowered suspension. It bottoms out too often on RR crossings, pot holes, etc. The lowered look is not that important to me. I understand most FLHs come with 13" shocks and the FLHX comes with 12" shocks. I am thinking about buying a pair of 13" Progressive 412s and installing them. Has anybody done this project? Is it a simple bolt on or are there gotchas I need to be aware of. I am guessing that the FLHX has lowered from fork springs too. If I do the shocks without the springs is that going to be a problem? I can do the shocks myself but wouldn't feel comfortable tackling the springs.

lowbar

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
FroI do not think that the front springs are lowered on the Street Glide. Double check with the dealer but all you would have to do is swap for the 13" rears....

Chris

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris, thanks for the message. It reminded me I have an 07 Touring Parts manual in my bookcase. The Road Kings have one part number and all the fairing model bikes have another one. So, the front fork (including spring) on an FLHX is the same as the FLHT(C)(U) and FLTRI. No need to mess with it.

lowbar

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
lowbar said:
.... If I do the shocks without the springs is that going to be a problem? I can do the shocks myself but wouldn't feel comfortable tackling the springs.

lowbar

You might check to see if the "tall shock bikes" use a different jiffy stand (kick stand) than the lowered suspension bikes.

The FXDX (tall shocks) uses a longer jiffy stand than the other (lower) FXDs. Putting on taller shocks on a regular FXD raises the frame (and attached jiffy stand) causing the bike to lean over too much when resting on the regular (shorter than the FXDX) stand. (Conversely, putting shorter shocks on a FXDX, and not shortening the jiffy stand, would cause the bike to be too upright when on its side.)

I would change the shocks and then decide if the jiffy stand needed modification. Just something to be aware of.

·
Banned
363 Posts
lowbar said:
After numberous FLH type bikes I bought a Street Glide last year. I love the bike but I'm not crazy about the lowered suspension. It bottoms out too often on RR crossings, pot holes, etc. The lowered look is not that important to me. I understand most FLHs come with 13" shocks and the FLHX comes with 12" shocks. I am thinking about buying a pair of 13" Progressive 412s and installing them. Has anybody done this project? Is it a simple bolt on or are there gotchas I need to be aware of. I am guessing that the FLHX has lowered from fork springs too. If I do the shocks without the springs is that going to be a problem? I can do the shocks myself but wouldn't feel comfortable tackling the springs.

lowbar
1st I would have to ask if you have added air to the shocks.. They need it.. I think the short ones can have up to about 60 psi. Ck the book.
It will help ride and bottoming..

If you still want longer shocks.. There is prob someone close by that would swap with you.. No $$.. Just a little time..

Just reread your post.. If you want progressives, call them.. I think it is a straight swap.

Not sure about the front though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked with Progressive. Adding the 13" 412s is a straight swap. 2 bolts on each shock. I've also confirmed that the front springs and the jiffy stand are the same part number on both the Street Glide and the Electra Glide. I've ordered a pair from Eastern Performance.

lowbar

·
Registered
16 Posts
Progressive 13" Shocks

LowBar, I have an 06 RK Custom FLHRSI and have used both 12" and 13" Progressive 440's (Dumped The Air Shocks). The 13" is no problem (10 min install), I have the 12" Progressive 440's on mine now but I like the lower 12" ride vs 13" and I can also adjust for pre-load as well. I rode a lowered front and rear 2" under Softail for 6 years.

By the way I still have the 13" 440's lightly used if anyone is interested ($325.00 + Freight). :wavey:

·
Registered
16 Posts
lowbar said:
nomad, can you share how your bike rode / handled with the 3 different set ups? A comparison if you will.

lowbar
The factory air shocks are just a pain to maintain for me. A small loss of air was a big decrease in pressure witch made for a loose feel in the rear with the factory set-up. The Progressive I.A.S. shocks were a good solution for me. My bike came standard with a 12" shock but I wanted to try a full length ride with the 13" shock. I love the ride of the 13" (lots of travel) but I also like a lower profile so I bought the 12" 440's as well, I am 165 lbs and ride solo 90% of the time. I knew I could make someone a great deal on the pair I decided not to keep. I am going to keep the 12".

·
Registered
357 Posts
me too :)

nomad47 said:
The factory air shocks are just a pain to maintain for me. A small loss of air was a big decrease in pressure witch made for a loose feel in the rear with the factory set-up. The Progressive I.A.S. shocks were a good solution for me. My bike came standard with a 12" shock but I wanted to try a full length ride with the 13" shock. I love the ride of the 13" (lots of travel) but I also like a lower profile so I bought the 12" 440's as well, I am 165 lbs and ride solo 90% of the time. I knew I could make someone a great deal on the pair I decided not to keep. I am going to keep the 12".
I am looking at putting the 12 inch 440's on my bike
it has 12's on it now
I'm looking at the 440's

I wonder how much lighter my bike (2000 fxr4) is than the 06 RK ?

Does anyone think that the fxr is too light weight for the 440's ?

Thanks for posting your info on the difference in those shocks too !!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered 13" Progressive 412s from Eastern Performance for $200 delivered. They came in this week and I installed them this morning. Pretty easy job. The ride is amazing compared to the stock shocks. I live in an older neighborhood and the roads have plenty of imperfections. I sought out some roads that I knew caused my bike to bottom out before and I was very pleased. I wonder how much of the improvement is better shocks and how much of it is because of longer shocks? Either way I'm a happy camper.

lowbar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts