V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on using permatex products vs the loctite ones called for in the HD instructions ??
In particular Loctite 262 what is the Permatex equivalent ??
Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
They were once the same company-

Permatex & Loctite Products

These products may be labelled “Loctite©” or “Permatex©” but they will have the same formulation regardless of packaging.
Loctite #262 (permanent, for large screws) so...

this is the Permatex equiv-

OEM specified. A permanent, high strength product that is applied to fasteners 3/8" to 1" (10mm to 25mm) in size before assembly. Designed for securing parts that must withstand heavy shock, vibration, or extreme chemical or environmental conditions. Localized heating and hand tools are required to separate parts.

Suggested Applications: Assembly with air tools, cylinder block bolts, ring gear bolts, transmission shaft bolts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I have no problem using whichever one I grab from the shelf. Permatex just calls their equivalent "high strength red".

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys I was just being a little extra carefull before I started my next project.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think if you look very close (on the package) you'll see loctite & permatex are the same company. Loctite makes Permatex.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
8-UP said:
I think if you look very close (on the package) you'll see loctite & permatex are the same company. Loctite makes Permatex.
FYI..Loctite may make the product discussed in this thread(or it may be the other way around), but they are not the same company. Loctite purchased Permatex in 1972, but Permatex broke away from Loctite in 1999.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts