V-Twin Forum banner

Locks, chains, or cables

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  another_dum_ass 
#1 ·
I was reading another post were Hippo said his ride sleeps outside and it got me wondering about locking the bike up. I have a disc lock I use on my VFR and usually don’t worry too much about it sitting outside when I’m not around. I had a big plastic coated cable with the coke machine lock that I used on my Guzzi. Like I said, I never really worried about these bikes because I had insurance and figured it would cover the loss. My attitude has changed with the outlay of serious cash for the Ultra and I don’t think the alarm installed on the bike will be much help. How do you protect your investment? Disc lock? Big ass chain? What? How can you sleep in a hotel with your scoot in the parking lot?

Dave

#2 ·
When I purchased my bike, I called the insurance company and asked if there was a discount if I installed an audible alarm on the bike. They said no. I assume this is because they are ineffectual against a tow truck with a winch.

#3 ·
Do you live in an apartment, Dave? If so, looks like you are stuck with the outside storage thing. If you can, I'd recommend just a cheap shed to keep your ride in. Lock that, lock your bike, and you got much better assurance of it not getting swiped.

G
#4 ·
Bruce said:

> When I purchased my bike, I called the insurance company and asked > if there was a discount if I installed an audible alarm on the bike. They > said no.

My insurer does offer a 'screamer' alarm discount. Not much but every little bit helps ...

#5 ·
Sorry, maybe I misled, I have a garage and I'm not worried about it at home. The bike already has an alarm installed from the factory too. What I was talking about is when you're on the road and parked at a hotel, campsite, buddys house, that sort of thing.

Dave

#6 ·
Anyone dedicated enough will make off with your ride. Most cables/chains are easily cut with the right hand-held tools. I did see a news report on some new chain that's supertough, but can't think of its name... do a little research to get the best you can buy. An audible alarm may help, but like the other guy said, you can load a bike up fairly quickly though it is a level of deterrance.

I would try to stay at places that aren't completely in the middle of nowhere or in a higly urban area, as well as ones that are well lit and have patroling security. You might end up paying a higher rate...

When going to your buddies' houses, park in their garage or back yard if they have them.

The idea is to minimize the risk of scumbags coming around, and if they are around, put as many time-consuming and high-risk barriers between them and your bike to deter theft.

#8 ·
A number of months back, Motorcycle Consumer News ran an article about how to install a locking system into the floor of your garage. IMHO, that's a bit of overkill. If someone gets into your locked garage, your bike is toast whether it's locked or not. And if they don't get your bike, your car or truck is gone.

I know some riders are very happy with a very heavy duty chains and heavy duty locks from a hardware store. I have a Cobralink 6' chain that I'll be taking down to Mexico next weekend. I've used that lock when I've gone to big rallies. The Cobralink chains have varying inside diameters; however, the bigger the diameter, the heavier the chain. And transporting a heavy chain, is a bit of a pain.

All the chain/lock will do is discourage some thieves. The "minimize your risks" suggestions are very sound.

#9 ·
Nothing is 100% protective. I had my 47' knuckle stolen several years ago. It was chained with hardened chain and a BIG Harley lock. It was obviously planned out the way it was taken. Get a big damn mean guard dog and chain it to it. It may slow em' down, but if they want it bad enough......

#12 ·
I designed a anti-theft device that would stun-gun your balls into oblivion if anyone but me got on the bike. I forgot and left the device on one time, and my wife sat on it. Now she won't stop sitting on my bike everynight. She even sits on the bike in the garage when there is four feet of snow outside. Where did I go wrong?

#14 ·
Re: Lock It Up.

Roadking96 said:
Bruce,

I have always locked mine up at rallies, get togethers even at the KOA sites on a road trip. Possible it is luck, but I have not had one stolen, but I do believe that there are people who can get it if they want it bad enough.

Ride Safe.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to bike week for the first time and would like to avoid any problems.

#15 ·
Old thread - revisited (Locks, chains, or cables)

I noticed that my local dealer had a much better cable lock than the one sold at Homey Depot. The dealer's is black and has the Harley logo on it. PLUS - it's only $48! Homey Depot's is the exact same cable lock, but it is yellow, it doesn't have the logo, and it only costs $28! Makes you wonder how Homey Depot stays in business! :D

Seriously, Home Depot is selling this as a 5/8" Kryptonite cable lock. I believe that it is 6' long. Didn't sound to bad to me.

#19 ·
A friend of mine had his bike stolen this year at bike weeks, he had a cable lock and a brake caliper lock. Police showed him a film of a "box type"truck that pulled up, the back door opens, an arm with a cable comes out, a guy jumps out of the back puts a strap around the bike, hooks it up to the cable, hoists the bike in.......Bike gone in 43 seconds! His thought was to find something big or several other bikes to join togather!

#20 ·
Sure. Four guys with a couple of pieces of pipe can pick them up too.

After a while you learn to read the street. Where and how you park the bike makes as much difference or more then all the locks in the world.
You try and park it in such a way that it is as far and as blocked as possible from four wheel vehicle access, or you park it where only someone suicidal would dare try to steal a bike.

All you can do is play the odds.

#21 ·
Well I still haven't bought anything to lock my bike up with. I've got a disc lock but hate using them cause I've forgotten it a couple of times and banged my fork up pretty good on a different bike. I am smart enough to pull in, front wheel first, when using a disc type lock. I heard a story of a guy who had forgotten to remove the lock and had flip the bike over when he pulled out. Think about it, it could happen. Back the bike in, put the lock on your front disc, return, forget lock, pop clutch, fly. It’d be cool to see somebody else do it, but I wouldn’t want to experience it myself. Especially crappy on a plastic covered bike, your wallet would hurt for months. Anyway, now I’m setting the alarm and trying to park where I can see the bike or parking in places that I feel it will be safe. But it comes down to how badly somebody else wants the bike. Know what I mean.

Dave

#22 ·
Good to read what people are using. Here's my current peace-of-mind, sleep-at-night set-up:

• 1" HD Cobra Link(not using optional base mount, but attached to structure)
  • disk lock
  • factory alarm w/o siren
  • unmarked cover
  • handlebar lock
  • ignition switch cover lock
I listed the last two to make me feel better. The bike is kept in a secure garage.

Here's a pic of the HD lock:

I plan on taking it all to Laughlin...with the exception of the garage and maybe the cover.

FWIW

#25 ·
Abus locks

flycasterjoe recommended the Abus Super Magnum chain and lock to protect ones ride from theft.

I check out the website and saw that they only offered the Super Magnum in a 4.5 ft length. I checked back the other day and they now offer a 6 ft length as well.

I ordered one via their website on 3/22, it was shipped 3/25 and showed up today 3/28.

Only one thing to say...GODDAMN THATS A BURLY CHAIN/LOCK COMBO:eek:

Thanks for the recommend flycasterjoe,

Regards,

wyodude

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.