V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Well I still haven't bought anything to lock my bike up with. I've got a disc lock but hate using them cause I've forgotten it a couple of times and banged my fork up pretty good on a different bike. I am smart enough to pull in, front wheel first, when using a disc type lock. I heard a story of a guy who had forgotten to remove the lock and had flip the bike over when he pulled out. Think about it, it could happen. Back the bike in, put the lock on your front disc, return, forget lock, pop clutch, fly. It’d be cool to see somebody else do it, but I wouldn’t want to experience it myself. Especially crappy on a plastic covered bike, your wallet would hurt for months. Anyway, now I’m setting the alarm and trying to park where I can see the bike or parking in places that I feel it will be safe. But it comes down to how badly somebody else wants the bike. Know what I mean.

Dave

Good to read what people are using. Here's my current peace-of-mind, sleep-at-night set-up:

• 1" HD Cobra Link(not using optional base mount, but attached to structure)
  • disk lock
  • factory alarm w/o siren
  • unmarked cover
  • handlebar lock
  • ignition switch cover lock
I listed the last two to make me feel better. The bike is kept in a secure garage.

Here's a pic of the HD lock:

I plan on taking it all to Laughlin...with the exception of the garage and maybe the cover.

FWIW

Abus locks

flycasterjoe recommended the Abus Super Magnum chain and lock to protect ones ride from theft.

I check out the website and saw that they only offered the Super Magnum in a 4.5 ft length. I checked back the other day and they now offer a 6 ft length as well.

I ordered one via their website on 3/22, it was shipped 3/25 and showed up today 3/28.

Only one thing to say...GODDAMN THATS A BURLY CHAIN/LOCK COMBO:eek:

Thanks for the recommend flycasterjoe,

Regards,

wyodude

flycasterjoe,

16.8 lbs (14 for the chain, 2.8 for the lock). I'm gonna have to buy another one just to kepp the saddle bags balanced out:D

wyodude

thanks a bunch!!

This has been a really informative thread!!!! I am a bit (alot) paranoid of someone ripping ogff my ride. I just ordered the Thunder Page alarm and am awaiting it's arrival. I run an 82 fxrs that has been completely re-done. Also use a disk lock and steering lock - alot of hardware to haul around. Might just have to add the Cobra link thing. I keep hearing stories of rip-offs. One was a guy who had 4 big guys pick up his bike out of his garage, and walk down the alley with his new Glide. Alarm and all. He and others caught them and made them see the evil of their ways. The owner was a cop! Sucks to be the bad guys on that one. I too am concerned about motels. Have seen the "Lost" posters at the local stealerships of ones removed from parking lots.

Shiny side up

Canuck Rider

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.