V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought Id check what the local wanted for 2 new tires on my 05 W/G. 2 tires M/B with new inner tubes(required) and rim strips. $517 pluse tax! I bought 4 new 35`` Procomp mud tires for my Jeep M/B for $397 just last fall. Some thing just isnt right! Ed
 

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
Joined
·
391 Posts
Ed,
Look on the bright side - your scoot only takes 2 tires!!!
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
Did they break down the quote to you with parts and labor separate?
If so let us know, but if you dont want to do yourself i would shop around for an indy. That sounds a little too steep to me
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
I have tubeless tires. Dealer charge $25 a tire to mount and balance. I bring them in. Buy the tire from them. Ive had two people tell other local dealers, charge $130-150 to take it off and includes tire. I don't know what the dealer I been going to charges for that though.

For me its just easier to do the work. Instead dropping bike waiting or getting ride home and back. Plus good time to polish rim.
 

·
Ironbutt
Joined
·
7,412 Posts
Had two new Avon tires put on my shovel last year. I ordered the tires through the mail - cost approx. $200 for both, which i thought was expensive too. Took the wheels off myself and took them to the dealer for mounting - cost $30. The dealers charge a good amount of labor for removing/installing the wheels. You can save some money if you are willing to do a little work.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Like I said two people have told me they paid as much to have the dealer do everything as me doing the labor myself. Nuts. Probably time to find a new dealer. But there are no independants, that I know of nearby. I would have to travel little bit and not worth it to me.

Considering getting the tools and big vice and doing it myself.

Did one before like that, just lined up the dot and never balanced. Rode fine. I really wonder if they need balancing, with good tires.
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
Dealers around here charge fron $90 to $120 to remove a wheel, mount a tire and replace the wheel...around $150 a tire give or take plus tax...sounds about right at the dealer...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
I usually pay $110 to 130 for tire depending front or back. For replacement Dunlops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
Paid about $110.00 for new tire (Metzler) and $20.00 to get it mounted and balanced at a local tire store and only had to wait 20 -25 mins for them to finish it. Removed wheel (back one) myself and plan on doing the same routine when the front one needs replacing. One of the local dealers charges in the neighborhood of $50.00 just for mounting and balancing (no wheel removal) and had to make an appointment to get it done. It pays to shop around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
You might try the local Japanese/European dealers and the independent motorcycle shops. They can order/change your tires as well as a HD shop and most often for a lot less. You might consider pulling the tires off your bike yourself, it saves expensive shop labor.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
251 Posts
gonna change the tires on my 2005 flhti this week I got the tires metzler wide white wall 880s fron internet for $232 bought 2 tubes harley $36 and rubber strips harley $10 and dealer wants $150 to remove the wheels put tires on and balance them. would take wheels off my self but only get one day off a week and got lots of other stuff to do ie exhaust, shocks, oil cooler and pc111 :wacko:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TXCHOP said:
Did they break down the quote to you with parts and labor separate?
If so let us know, but if you dont want to do yourself i would shop around for an indy. That sounds a little too steep to me
Only saying that it included tires, inner tubes and rim strips. This also had a 15% off one tire and 20% off on second tire (special)! I just got a new rear from an online dealer for $114. Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
berserker said:
I have tubeless tires. Dealer charge $25 a tire to mount and balance. I bring them in. Buy the tire from them. Ive had two people tell other local dealers, charge $130-150 to take it off and includes tire. I don't know what the dealer I been going to charges for that though.

For me its just easier to do the work. Instead dropping bike waiting or getting ride home and back. Plus good time to polish rim.
I would like to do the change myself but dont have a garage or the experience. Would also like to go tubeless but dont know if it can be done with stock spoked rims! Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
miles to go said:
Had two new Avon tires put on my shovel last year. I ordered the tires through the mail - cost approx. $200 for both, which i thought was expensive too. Took the wheels off myself and took them to the dealer for mounting - cost $30. The dealers charge a good amount of labor for removing/installing the wheels. You can save some money if you are willing to do a little work.
yeah, I could probably do that but I also dont have a lot of time off. Always some thing! Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I replaced both front and rear for just over 400 bucks at Barger Harley in Canoga Park, Ca. Used Dunlops. Dropped off the bike in the morning, was done at 2 in the afternoon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
madplmber said:
gonna change the tires on my 2005 flhti this week I got the tires metzler wide white wall 880s fron internet for $232 bought 2 tubes harley $36 and rubber strips harley $10 and dealer wants $150 to remove the wheels put tires on and balance them. would take wheels off my self but only get one day off a week and got lots of other stuff to do ie exhaust, shocks, oil cooler and pc111 :wacko:
Do you Have to change the tubes and strips each time? I have always made sure I had the proper psi in tires so no slipping. Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. I should have posted this in the wheel and tire section but didnt intend it to go this far! HaHa! Ed
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
:brows: My quality local independent shop is putting on a $110 tire ($130 at the dealer) on my bike for $155 total. I'm now doing a lot of my own work (where the worst that could happen is that the bike won't run) but I'm not comfortable with removing a wheel, mounting and balancing a tire, and reinstalling the wheel. Just call me a pu$$y with more money than weiner.

Lefty
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Its jsut a matter of tightening it down. Then you now it was done. Brought a bike in to dealer once. While later found some loose bolts. Changing tires is simple. Biggest hassle is setting break caliper back on and geting disk in there.

From what I seen I am not saving much or anything doing it myself. Theres a few dealers that seam to throw the labor in. There charging $25 to mount and balance, takes 10 minutes.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top