V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just renewed my local chapter membership , and they informed me they have dropped the 10% discount this year. It's not a big deal, I guess times must be getting tight, seems counter productive to me as they chapter are the most loyal customers.

Any other chapters doing this?

·
TL
500 Posts
Yep. Same here. I haven't spoken to the owner about it but I think he feels he's leaving money on the table. What he may not be considering is the number of lost sales due to the new policy. I might be able to afford it but I can't seem to bring myself to pay more for something than I can buy it for elsewhere. The local dealer rarely has what I need in stock so they had to order it anyway. With the high sales tax rate here, (even with the discount) it is cheaper to order from Benji's. Shipping is less expensive than the sales tax and Jenny usually has it to me in 1 to 2 days without adding a premium shipping charge. Now that the local dealer has dropped the discount, it's a no-brainer - I get it cheaper and faster plus Jenny knows those parts inside and out. However, the local parts guys do look lonely.

TL

·
Registered
155 Posts
Our chapter has the 10% discount,but it wouldn't change my feelings if they dropped it. I can order from Zanottis for at least 20% off and no sales tax with very reasonable shipping.

·
Wanderer
448 Posts
Legends in NJ has 10% off just being a national HOG member. You don't have to be a chapter member. They get my business.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I went to Alaska last summer all the dealers honored my National membership with a 10% , here in Georgia it's been local chapter only . I just got my new heads from Zanotti's and they will continue to get my business.
It's not so much the dropped discount as the intentions behind it. I still enjoy the rides with the chapter , and will continue to be a member

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
One local dealer has been giving the 10% off from day one. BUT the catch is they give it to you in "Harley Bucks" which you can only spend at their store and have to spend before 12/31 of each year.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
nidan said:
I just renewed my local chapter membership , and they informed me they have dropped the 10% discount this year. It's not a big deal, I guess times must be getting tight, seems counter productive to me as they chapter are the most loyal customers.

Any other chapters doing this?
What chapter is that? I live in the Atlanta area and the chapter I belonged to dropped their discount it last year in favor of a dealership discount called the MVP program. You build up point by buying stuff and participating in HOG chapter events. The more points you get, the better your discount.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, They done that here in Lynchburg, Virginia.....but its a little different. Now, you have to go on rides with the chapter, participate in events, and etc, etc. When you do this, you get your card punched. When you have 3 punches, you can go to the supporting dealer and get 15% off.

Its a bunch of crap if you ask me. Think about it......ANY SALE IS BETTER THAN NO SALE ANY DAY.

Just my 2 cents worth...

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Or just use one of several 20% (occasionally 25% off) off every day dealers around the country and pay low freight and no tax.

T113

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
confedcycles said:
Now, you have to go on rides with the chapter, participate in events, and etc, etc. When you do this, you get your card punched. When you have 3 punches, you can go to the supporting dealer and get 15% off.
QUOTE]

I have to learn how to pull posts to quote... (hence the edit annotation)

The method behind the madness for tracking participation is so 'active' members get a discount and not just those who pay for membership. Discounts are dealers' choice - 15% is pretty good, especially when others get nothing.

Thanks to those who posted some mail order companies - I will be checking them out.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
We get 10% off and if you work an event we usually get a 20% off card we can use whenever. I have 3 in my wallet now. Half the time I get the discount and they hand me the card back. Different dealers, different deals I guess.:dunno:

·
Registered
293 Posts
There is 3 places you can buy parts at 20% or more onlline.
Benj's in Huntington, WVA, Zanotti's in Butler Pa.
and Hales HD in Ohio.
I believe there are some more, but the ones I have used.

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
The only reason I became a member was for the 10% discount on parts I can not find on ebay. 20% discount huh? Surprsed the Greedy Moco lets them get away with that.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Dealer here gives 10% off to local chapter members one Wednesday per month, after the meeting. I happen to travel ALOT for work and can't make but a couple meetings a year.

Dealer 30 minutes away gives 10% off to National members every damn day! BTW, that for parts, service, clothes, anything in the building!

Guess where I go?^rolleyez^

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
davemhughes said:
The only reason I became a member was for the 10% discount on parts I can not find on ebay. 20% discount huh? Surprsed the Greedy Moco lets them get away with that.
MOCO has nothing to do with it. Each dealer sets his own prices and chooses whether or not to offer discounts. The National does not offer discounts and the local depends on whether or not the sponsoring dealership offers a discount. When a dealer does offer a discount it comes out of his pocket, not the MOCO's.

·
Registered
129 Posts
PatriotARK said:
Our chapter has the 10% discount,but it wouldn't change my feelings if they dropped it. I can order from Zanottis for at least 20% off and no sales tax with very reasonable shipping.

Good idea! business is business and shopping is shopping...after they lose some sales volume you may see the discount majically reappear.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
2 of the closest dealers have a program that you join and get a discount. It works like this:

a. Buy a bike(new or used) and pay $49.95 one time fee. Every time you spend $1 you get 1 point. Get 1,000 points & they give you $50 gift certificate. As you get more points you get higher gift certificate. I believe if you spend $3,000, you get $250.

b. Already own a bike, pay $29.95 one time fee and same system applies.

Hhhmmmm......let me see.......$1,000 / $50.....my math maybe a little rusty but that's only 5% return. Spend $3,000 and get $250.....that's what....7.5%?

Oh, yeah, join the local HOG chapter at one and when you buy something, they used to give 10% back to you in HOG bucks(which could only be spent at that store and had to be spent by 12/31 of each year). Now they count that 10% toward your points. So.....pay $100 for a part.....get 100 points and then 10 more for being a HOG chapter member. :whatever:

Haven't walked in to see how they would handle me buying parts somewhere else(online) and wanting them installed. :roflback:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'm a HOG member at Killer Creek H-D in Roswell, GA.

We get 5% off by being a local HOG chapter member. But you get an additional 10% off if you participate in the chapter. Attend a meeting, go on a chapter ride, help out at an event for at least an hour, etc. The idea is get people involved. After the event you participate in, they give you a certificate called HOG BUCKS. They are good for 30 days. So your total discount is 15% if you have one. Do at least one thing every 30 days and you have a standing 15% discount.

Its not perfect, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts