V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my local Harley dealer today. I couldn't believe the choice of new bikes they had on the floor. Road Kings Electraglides, Heritages, Fatboys and more. Even have several NEW '05 models. The new and used bike market is really soft right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
It's winter. Not many people here are buying anything except snowmobiles. Can't speak for Alabama though, do you folks have to salt the roads, or can you ride all winter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,289 Posts
Same at Santa Barbara HD. I was there over the weekend and they had tons of bikes...... I saw a new Ultra in orange/gray....very cool. If I only had the $$$$.

Tony
 

·
Infidel
Joined
·
6,331 Posts
SHEP said:
The new and used bike market is really soft right now.
I've been expecting this post, but it's a little early.

EVERY YEAR around this time, someone notes the number of new bikes on their dealership's sales floor and predicts the demise of Harley Davidson.

Come spring, the other side of the coin will be noticed, when the only bikes available will be a few sportys and a couple of vrods.
 

·
We're still here ya know
Joined
·
689 Posts
I bought my bike on a cold, snowy January Monday when they had lot's to choose from. By the time the first green leaf appeared on a tree.....they were wiped out. Get yer shopp'in done now
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,454 Posts
Be careful that those aren't Katrina bikes. unscrupulous people will try to sell off water logged bikes just to dispose of them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
wyodude said:
I've been expecting this post, but it's a little early.

EVERY YEAR around this time, someone notes the number of new bikes on their dealership's sales floor and predicts the demise of Harley Davidson.

Come spring, the other side of the coin will be noticed, when the only bikes available will be a few sportys and a couple of vrods.
I would say it is softer than prior years ... there are 05s on the floor at alot of dealers and not sporty's/vrods either.Dealer here has 3 RK's and a couple RG's and 1 wideglide that are leftovers as of Monday night . And this dealer has always been an MSRP dealer with no BS .I went in to get a filter for mine . So these bikes sat around in the warm riding weather. Even in the south and Cali where the riding season is just about all year its the same ..Nobody is saying the demise of HD but when was the last time u could walk in and by a leftover ?


I believe the waiting list and taking whatever bike at 2k over MSRP that come's in is over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
RustyG said:
Be careful that those aren't Katrina bikes. unscrupulous people will try to sell off water logged bikes just to dispose of them.
I seriously doubt it. That's what insurance is for.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
39 Posts
SHEP said:
I stopped by my local Harley dealer today. I couldn't believe the choice of new bikes they had on the floor. Road Kings Electraglides, Heritages, Fatboys and more. Even have several NEW '05 models. The new and used bike market is really soft right now.


I agree but don't think for one minute HD doesn't know what they they are doing..They have made a conscious decision to get more bikes in the hands of more people..They are not as concerned with resale value as they are with all the additional business that is generated by having more people owning Harleys..The profit made by the sale of the bike is only a portion of the profit made for each and every bike on the street..Lot's to be made from the sale of clothes, accessories, repairs and maintenance...Don't worry about HD..They are the best at making money of all the bike manufacturers and I don't think that is about to change..The resale value of Harley's will not stay high..In fact it has already started to come down significantly and will continue to do so...not unexepected but as a result of the HD current marketing strategy..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Another thing to think about. If HD can be had for MSRP and possibly even below MSRP and they are avaiable for immediate delivery, I think they will sell more in the long run. Look at what all of the metric/japanese hd clone bike riders compalined about over the last 10-15 years. $3-5K over MSRP, long waiting lists and rude dealers. If the bikes come down in price, you can get it now and the dealers are hungry for a sale, alot more of those metric/japanese hd clone bike riders will buy HD. I'm seeing it already with new HD riders that I recognize from the metric/japanese hd clone bike forums.

Actually, I was one of those folks and bought my HD a year and a half ago at MSRP.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top