V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have questions about loading a bike into a truck. I have loaded many a dirt bike and light crotch rocket into trucks but a heavy harley....not yet.

How do you get a 600 plus pound harley into the bed of a full size truck? Do you drive it up the ramp? Do you push it up the ramp? Do you have help? Do you do it alone?

I ask because I plan to take the bike when I go on vacations with the RV.

·
Registered
603 Posts
FLSTFI Dave, I've never done it without help. I can always use all the help that I can get. I always try to find an incline and back my truck up to the incline and put the ramps down. This makes for a less steep angle. Usually though, if I have the option, I use a trailer. If I do not have a trailer, I will get about 4 six packs and that many extra bodies to help.

JMS

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
When I lived in MT and had to drive down from the mountain to ride in winter I used to ride it into the bed of the 4WD. Make sure the ramp is wide enough so you can put your feet down if you have to and take a good run at it.

Make sure the bed of the truck is not frozen. LOL.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Make sure it will even fit...what bed length do you have with that crewcab?

·
Registered
312 Posts
make sure the ramp will hold it too.....a dirt bike ramp may not.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
The first time I tried riding it up the ramp I hit the wall of the truck bed behind the cab with the front tire jof my Road King and bent the hell out of the bed wall. Since then I try to find an incline or small hill I can back the truck up to so the angle is almost flat going into the truck bed. I will roll it back out of the truck bed at any angle but putting it in is a chore.

NOTE: I have noticed spots on my seat everytime I have hauled my bike in the truck bed. I concluded that the wind pressure from interstate speeds was causing some of the brake fluid to leak out of the master cylinder on the handlebar. I covered the cylinder with a rag tied around it and haven't had the problem repeat itself.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
fcoxwell said:

NOTE: I have noticed spots on my seat everytime I have hauled my bike in the truck bed. I concluded that the wind pressure from interstate speeds was causing some of the brake fluid to leak out of the master cylinder on the handlebar. I covered the cylinder with a rag tied around it and haven't had the problem repeat itself.
How come that don't occur when your riding it?:D

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
fourhour said:
How come that don't occur when your riding it?:D
I would suspect his ass protects the seat from it when he rides but he should be seeing it on a jacket or something. Would fixing the leak maybe be a better solution than the rag?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8 ft bed

I have a 8 foot bed on the truck so it will fit. That is a good idea getting a wide ramp so I can put my feet down. I want to find a ramp rated for at least 1000 pounds.

I will have limited help loading and on loading. Most likely the wife at the most for help.

Thanks for the input so far.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Re: 8 ft bed

FLSTFI Dave said:
I have a 8 foot bed on the truck so it will fit. That is a good idea getting a wide ramp so I can put my feet down. I want to find a ramp rated for at least 1000 pounds.

I will have limited help loading and on loading. Most likely the wife at the most for help.

Thanks for the input so far.
Dave,

I bought my ramps HERE

The set I bought "The Big Boy"_ (MF-12038) - 120"folding arched motorcycle ramp for large motorcycles, lowered bikes, & full-size 4x4 trucks. Center ramp rated at 1500 lbs, the two side ramps are rated at 600 lbs.

I haven't used them yet but will need to in the near future.

wyo

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
fcoxwell said:

NOTE: wind pressure from interstate speeds was causing some of the brake fluid to leak out of the master cylinder on the handlebar.

Am I right in assuming that there shouldn't be any leaks at all? :D
Believe me, the problems I've had with this goddamb English weather and salty roads in the winter(siezed bits an pieces) I'm soon becoming an expert on.........
Well, Nothing! :D

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

WYODude,

Thanks for the link. Looks like pretty good ramps. I like the idea of being able to go up slow and put my feet down. I really do not want to hurt the truck and it would kil me to scratch the bike.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I agree-better to fix it. I tried to tighten down the master cyclinder cover before and ended up cracking it around one of the screw holes and had to get a new one. Next time I haul it I will leave the rag off, maybe the leak is somewhere else.

When I ride the windshield is on, when I haul it the windshield is off. That may be why I don't notice it while riding.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Could be that you have a totally different airflow over the bike with it sitting behind the truck cab..... could be coming up from under..... tie a ribbon or string to it somewhere next time and see.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a ramp master arched ramp. To load lowered bike in truck get OL to stand in the bed of the truck, get good running start to get the front wheel in bed, have OL grab and hold front brake, walk around to rear of bike and push, scream at OL "let the fu(kin brake go", have tie downs and beer ready. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Those are nice ramps Wyodude. I helped a friend unload and reload his ultra with his homemade ramps we removed the tailgate and bolted the ramps to the bed. They were wide enough to put his feet down but when loading the kickstand got caught on one of the bolts, it nearly turned in to disaster we barely caught it. Wish we had thought about using a incline or hill to reduce the angle so it didn't high center.
I noticed in the picture for the Big boy ramps they load right on to the tailgate any one know what Lbs. the tailgate on most pick ups are rated for ?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Dude, Take the tailgate off while loading a bike that heavy or strap some xtra support on the tailgate if the bed is too short and you absolutly need to leave it on.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yea, I was asking that question because the pic of the Bigboy ramp, it shows the tailgate in place. My bike with me on it is over 1000 Lbs. thats a lot of weight on the end of the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have a '01 nissan frontier and the tailgate held the weight of a '97 ultraclassic with rider during loading and unloading. If that helps........

·
Registered
575 Posts
Even at a 1000 lbs, the weight should be fairly well distributed between the tailgate and the ground (bottom of the ramp). Tailgate weight during loading probably never reaches 500 lbs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts