V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what will happen if I unscrew the small (1/4" ?) plug that is under the right side of the crank case on an 88B engine as found on the 2005 FXSTI. I'm hoping that it will empty out the remaining oil that doesn't come out when I do an oil change by unscrewing the "proper" oil plug fitted to the vertical pipe leading straight up to the engine oil tank. I find I can easily have 1 quart of old oil left in the motor. (Not good!). I suppose I should just unscrew it and find out, but in case this is a "no-no", I'd be interested to hear.
Thanks

giles..

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Giles said:
Does anyone know what will happen if I unscrew the small (1/4" ?) plug that is under the right side of the crank case on an 88B engine as found on the 2005 FXSTI. I'm hoping that it will empty out the remaining oil that doesn't come out when I do an oil change by unscrewing the "proper" oil plug fitted to the vertical pipe leading straight up to the engine oil tank. I find I can easily have 1 quart of old oil left in the motor. (Not good!). I suppose I should just unscrew it and find out, but in case this is a "no-no", I'd be interested to hear.
Thanks

giles..
AFAIK it's not a NO,NO, but the screw can be rather tight and you may break it. Unless there's a good reason, I would leave it alone (WDIK)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
baggersport said:
It's not recommended to remove that plug for routine oil changes.
baggersport,
Thanks for the advice. I'll leave well alone. However, if you've got time, I'd be interested to know why the plug should not be removed.
Thanks
giles..

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Giles said:
baggersport,
Thanks for the advice. I'll leave well alone. However, if you've got time, I'd be interested to know why the plug should not be removed.
Thanks
giles..
You can crack the case if you over-tight it. Don't know why it's actually there, only purpose AFAIK is to drain the case entirely. A couple of ounces of oil under normal conditions

·
Fuk ya'll, I'm from TEXAS
2,227 Posts
I pull the plug everytime I change oil, get anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 quart out. Never a problem.

btw How would it void your warrenty?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
captainlee said:
I pull the plug everytime I change oil, get anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 quart out. Never a problem.

btw How would it void your warrenty?
Me too.

Who said Void the warranty????? Yeah right. He must work for a dealer. Sounds like something one of them would say.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,
Now I'm really confused. Shall I, or shall I not unplug the darn thing??? Tell you what, I'll tug on it moderately gently, and if it comes loose, all well and good, but if it looks as if I'll have to apply considerable force, then I'll take it as a sign from the gods and leave it be.
Thanks, giles..

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
From my understanding that extra oil is there in for the purpose of having some left over oil after an engine drain. For the person that may accidently fire up and engine and remembered they didn't put oil back in. This would mean there would be some oil in the engine to keep it from burning up before you quickly shut if off. At least that was my understanding from a conversation I had with someone. If you want to get all your dirty oil out just get a Scavenger and that will solve do I need to take that plug out or not. The Scavenger lets you bypass yoru filter and drain oil at the return line on your bike. This will flush out all the old oil and replace it with fresh oil. Once that is done, you put back on your filter and fill the rest of your tank.

www.roguechopper.com

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Some say it's a casting plug, some say it's for an oil temp sending unit. I say, it don't fuk'n matter, leave it alone. Just asking for trouble taking it in and out. The little bit of oil left behind don't matter if you are following regular service intervals.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
csoday said:
Some say it's a casting plug, some say it's for an oil temp sending unit. I say, it don't fuk'n matter, leave it alone. Just asking for trouble taking it in and out. The little bit of oil left behind don't matter if you are following regular service intervals.
@gree: Why dick with it. Millions of Harley's on the road and they ain't dying an early death from oil problems and 99.9999999999% have never had every last drop of oil drained from that silly little plug. So again I ask WHY DICK WITH IT!

Joe

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
jasilva said:
@gree: Why dick with it. Millions of Harley's on the road and they ain't dying an early death from oil problems and 99.9999999999% have never had every last drop of oil drained from that silly little plug. So again I ask WHY DICK WITH IT!

Joe
Truly. Methnks we can get a little anal with this stuff sometimes.:yes:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I believe you'll find one of them plugs on the underside of the block too! Thought I saw one recently when I had my engine out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Giles said:
Guys,
Now I'm really confused. Shall I, or shall I not unplug the darn thing??? Tell you what, I'll tug on it moderately gently, and if it comes loose, all well and good, but if it looks as if I'll have to apply considerable force, then I'll take it as a sign from the gods and leave it be.
Thanks, giles..
Why not flip a coin heads take it out tails leave alone:huh:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Truly. Methnks we can get a little anal with this stuff sometimes.:yes:
Me Thinks thou art righteth. But I alwayseth removeth the Drain plugeth. That wayeth I do not need to waste my moneyeth on the Roguechopper spameth device. :clap:

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
I took mine out

... by accident. I thought it was the tranny drain plug, and I actually broke an allen bit the first time I did it. No big deal though-- 2-3 oz of oil inside, and make sure not to over-tighten it upon replacement. I never heard anything about warranty issues.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Mike H. said:
... by accident. I thought it was the tranny drain plug, and I actually broke an allen bit the first time I did it. No big deal though-- 2-3 oz of oil inside, and make sure not to over-tighten it upon replacement. I never heard anything about warranty issues.
There are no warranty issues. That was someone trying to be funny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts