V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I'm new to this forum and was researching Lithium Ion batteries. I've seen a LOT OF OPINIONS, but very little actual experience. Balanced charging, little reserve, other rumors, etc. no longer seem real in researching Lithium Ion batteries in general. I need to replace the battery in my 2006 1200XL and am considering a Lithium Ion as the technology has vastly improved.

Does anyone have any current experience in using Lithium Ion batteries in their Sporty? Your shared experience, good and bad, would be greatly appreciated.

DPetaros
2006 HD Sportster 1200XL

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Folks

I'm new to this forum and was researching Lithium Ion batteries. I've seen a LOT OF OPINIONS, but very little actual experience. Balanced charging, little reserve, other rumors, etc. no longer seem real in researching Lithium Ion batteries in general. I need to replace the battery in my 2006 1200XL and am considering a Lithium Ion as the technology has vastly improved.

Does anyone have any current experience in using Lithium Ion batteries in their Sporty? Your shared experience, good and bad, would be greatly appreciated.

DPetaros
2006 HD Sportster 1200XL
I have three bikes (not sportsters) with LifePo4 batteries in them.

BLUF - I believe the technology is now ready for the masses.

All of my bikes have Ant-Gravity brand batteries with the Re-Start feature. Prior to these batteries I tried Shorie, Anti-Gravity w/o Re-Start, Twin Power and a couple other off brand models. I killed every one of the batteries that didn't have the re-start feature by my own carelessness. I left something on that drew power. Either a light, ignition system, an alarm system, etc. Had I simply shut the bike off or hooked a maintainer to it, none of these batteries would have died the way they did. Its pretty simple, if the voltage none of these LiPo batteries drops below a certain voltage, they die. There is NOTHING that will bring them back like what can be done with a lead acid based battery.

The Re-Start feature is sort fo a partition within the battery. When the voltage drops to a certain point, the internal circuitry disconnects the battery from he vehicle. The operator can disable the partition by pressing a button on the battery. Its practice application goes like this; the rider parks his bike at work and leaves the ignition on. He comes out at lunch time to find the bike completely dead. At this he simply lifts up the seat, presses the restart button on the battery and fires up his bike. The bikes charging system will recharge the battery via normal riding.

Myself and several of my buddies have all used this feature more than once. I am sold. All of my FXRs have high compression 124" engines, the Li battery in my red/white bike is over two and half years old and cranks over the engine instantly.

An issue the never have tried one crowd will hypothesize about is cold weather performance. Yes it is real, but it is to overcome. First, the battery cane 'woken up'. Its as simple as turning on the lights for a couple of minutes. The glow of the headlights will indicate when the battery is awake. The other mitigation technique is to keep the bike on a Li specific maintainer. When hooked up to a maintainer, regardless of temp or woke status, the engine will crank immediately. Temp is really a non issue.

Be forewarned. You will relieve a bunch of posts from members here that have never used one these batteries and will recommend every other type of battery, question why you think need one, and in general do everything but answer the question. Lots of bandwidth on the online forums, just need to learn to separate the signal from the noise. Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Turboprop (fellow airline pilot?)!

I appreciate you sharing your experience. That's what I am hoping to hear. Not the opinions many nonexperienced folks look to share.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks Turboprop (fellow airline pilot?)!

I appreciate you sharing your experience. That's what I am hoping to hear. Not the opinions many nonexperienced folks look to share.
No. I stole it from a buddy I served with. He used Turboprop for a screen name on most of the pages he was on. I changed my screen name to Turboprop on all the bike forums as soon as he started talking about buying a harley. Just so he couldn't use it. Thats how we roll.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Some years back I had bad experiences with two Ballistic batteries. First wasn't strong enough. The second was supposed to be an improvement and for large, hi comp motors. It didn't last two years.

Despite the bad experiences I'll give lithium another shot when it's new battery time. Incredibly light.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'll second the the Anti-gravity battery with reserve. Absolutely outstanding battery. Cranks like an animal

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried one a few years ago, ended up sending it back. Very light weight and desirable, just wouldn't crank the engine very well. Happy to learn they have improved over time. I might give one a try in the future.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
honestly,, the li-on batteries require 2 things to last,,, 1 is voltage supplied to it in a narrow band,,, over or under voltage from your charging system or charger at home will kill the battery..

second and quite important is an engine in proper tune that start without grinding the battery for extended periods...

for instance on a cold, carbureated high compression performance 113" S&S engine,,, I do a couple short bursts of starting,, only a few seconds apiece. this is my engine..

every carbed engine has it's own starting ritual,, if you have that down,, the li-on battery will be awesome..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts