V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I test rode a 2000 FXDX with about 20,500 miles. After the ride, I noticed some liquid dripping from the air cleaner (SE) onto the cam cover. The sales and service folks at the dealer told me this is normal, and my reading on this and other Harley sites supports that. Here's the thing, though: the liquid I saw didn't look like oil; it was light or medium brown (somewhat rust-colored) and opaque. Is this what the oil blow-by is supposed to look like, or is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
take a swipe with your finger and smell it, if it is gas than that is a little problem

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I didn't get any on my finger, but my face was a few inches away while I looked at it and I didn't smell any gas.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
it aint normal. its blowby or puking and requires correction. internal problems.............its also time for lifters and timing chain tensioner replacement. if you can get an unaltered fxdx for around 7k, go for it. the repairs will be around 1k-3k.

really nice bikes!

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
hmm,

interesting. I had that same thing when I was running dyno oil with and the older type SE back plate. When I went to the big sucker (new back plate) the problem went away. I have also since switched to synthetic oil and have put on 30k miles and no apparent internal problems or dripping.

I think I will go with the not to worry/easy fix/not related to oil type answer for this issue.

rkc

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yesterday I test rode a 2000 FXDX with about 20,500 miles. After the ride, I noticed some liquid dripping from the air cleaner (SE) onto the cam cover. The sales and service folks at the dealer told me this is normal, and my reading on this and other Harley sites supports that. Here's the thing, though: the liquid I saw didn't look like oil; it was light or medium brown (somewhat rust-colored) and opaque. Is this what the oil blow-by is supposed to look like, or is this something I should be concerned about?
Unless it's excessive i wouldn''t worry. Most likely what you are seeing is the result of minor blow-by from the top-end that is captured and routed into the air filter. Eventually the air filter becomes saturated along the bottom and it weeps down onto the top of the nose cone. Normally the SE air filter element is serviceable... made by K&N. Occasionally it needs to be cleaned and re-oiled in order to properly capture the fine dust in the air entering the air cleaner. It's cleaned by spraying a special solution that breaks down oil and washed out with water. When it's dry, it's re-oiled and that oil is a deep red in colour. The oil is absorbed by the filter material. If there's any excess filter oil or oil caused by blow-by, it can mix and drop down on top of the nose cone. That's probably what you are seeing.
What causes blow-by? Typically over-filling engine oil, excess pressure, leaking umbrella valves, maybe viscosity of oil??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone. The asking price on this bike is $6500 and I'm thinking pretty seriously about making an offer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it aint normal. its blowby or puking and requires correction. internal problems.............its also time for lifters and timing chain tensioner replacement. if you can get an unaltered fxdx for around 7k, go for it. the repairs will be around 1k-3k.

really nice bikes!
Thanks; Is 1k-3k the cost if I do the work myself? I'm not afraid to turn some wrenches if the need arises.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
Thanks; Is 1k-3k the cost if I do the work myself? I'm not afraid to turn some wrenches if the need arises.
no, thats if a shop does it. lots cheaper for diy. good price, great bike! your motor wont puke a drop after ya get done!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fresh bore job, new pistons & rings and break it in using H-D 20-50 Petroleum oil and your problem will disappear. Have resolved that issue on many motorcycles. Good ol synthetic oil got another one. LOL Good Luck !!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts