V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Live Long and Prosper
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contemplating a cam change on my 2000 RKC with 95" BB, S/E Performance heads (mild cleanup), 10.5:1 S/E forged pistons, s/e a/c, D & D Fatcat, 42mm Carl's Speed Shop throttle body and 3:37 gearing. I am now running WT TC-4G cams. Would really like to have more low end torque and the hp to come on quicker than the tc-4g's. The Wood tw5g looks like it might fit the bill, would like to hear from those who run this cam to give me the pros & cons of the tw5g. Things like hard starting, noise, etc. Not looking for big hp, but I would like to have lots of tq. Thanks in advance

·
Live Long and Prosper
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been looking at the Bob Wood site, but I don't see a EFI dyno run with the tw5g. Lots of dynos with the tw6hg.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The tw5 is a great cam for those that have HTCC set up and want more low end. It is a bolt in under the SE spring pack and is a very quite cam compared to the TW6H. You do need roller rockers and adjustable push rods. Other than that it wokrs great. I have a dyno where I did a swap but cannot get it to uplpad. I have tried and even at pix numbers well under what it is saying here it will not load!!!!!:nunu:

·
Live Long and Prosper
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HDWRENCH,
I have the S/E Performance heads (my original post), I assume they will work almost as well as the HTCC heads with the TW5G? I also have the compression releases installed in my heads, I assume they will be needed on the TW5G. I have all that is needed for the cam swap, except for the roller rockers and obviously I haven't bought a new cam yet. I do a lot of 2 up riding and take some long trips on my RKC, that is why I was thinking about the TW5G vs. the TW6HG. I do like to hamer the bike occasionally, guess this comes from my previous drag racing days. Used to race NHRA S/C class with a 235" wheel base rear engine dragster ( 8.60 @ 165 in the 1/4 mile with the throttle stop off ) since this was an 8.90 class. Fun but very expensive. Harleys are much more enjoyable. Especially at my young 57 years old.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Wrench,

If you dyno'd a 95" with 5G's against a 98" with a 37G or 6G; wouldn't you end up with about the same figures on the dyno?

The 98 set up would have a quieter top end and be more reliable, long term, would it not?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Bob Woods recommended the TW5G to me with my SE heads and flat-tops , all reports I've read are quite positive, I elected to go with a milder build , but if I need more down the road , I'll go to the Tw5G's and roller rockers.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
If I could get this dang thing to load here ( hate this system for uploads) I would show you the two. The 98 still inches out the tw5 and makes more tw sooner and longer. SO yes it does, the 98 htcc pistons are ready to go so those that have the HTCC can go to 98 and still use there same heads!!!! Now add the tw5 to that and ol man will that go. Or better yet add the tw8 and see what you get.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I am pleased with the TW-5G. I went from the SE-211 to the TW-5G and saw a nice increase in low end torque. I was also pleased wit the service from Bob Woods.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wrench-

What's the story with the 98" HTCC pistons? Did you get someone to tool up to produce custom pistons for you?

Been laid up since I last talked to you over the phone before Christmas due to surgery. Haven't had a chance to take my bike apart....sucks because I wanted to hook up with you over the holidays while you were here in Michigan.

If this looks like a viable option, I may just in fact go that route and then have you clean up/port my HTCC heads. This thing would really roll with my TW-6HG's.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I'll jump in here. My 03 Fatboy:

SE Heads
10-1 CR
95" Flat Tops
SE Ignition
Ultima Lifters
Ultima Roller Rockers
Woods TW-5G
Thunderheader

Prior to the 5g's I had SE 211 cams. The 5G's are much better. I can't think of any cons to be honest with you. The bike is "quick" but it also holds it head up all the way through the rev band. The 211's used to peter out somewhere in 5th gear around 75-80MPH. With the 5G's I'm always on the cam. There is a bit of gear whine, as with any gear drive cams, but there is NO clatter. I installed an oil shim, similar to the Baisley spring, and assume that helped, but I don't have any annoying noises, other than your typical HD ones:) My bike runs like a bat outta hell...seriously. Not radical but beautiful smooth power delivery. The 5G's were designed by Woods to mate with the SE Heads at 10-1 CR or so I'm told. They are a .575 lift and don't require a new spring pack, perfect for the SE performance heads. I was getting 94HP and 95ft/lb torque with the 211's. I haven't bothered to dyno with the 5G's. Honestly I don't care what the numbers are...it runs that good. I'm sure I'm over 100 in torque and close if not past in HP.
Got my Rockers, lifters, shim, and some other stuff from Wrench btw. Great guy to work with.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
bedemonster said:
Yeah this will stretch your arms just a little bit:brows:
Nice chart !!!! Which heads are those ?? (HDSA?). Also that is interesting the +4* cam gear since it is my understanding that the TW-5G has 2* already built into it. I am always looking to squeek a little more out of my combo so I am just wondering.
Thanks

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
My prior setup: 95" HD cyl, SE Perf heads, SE251 Chain Cams, SE adj pushrods, Jims SE lifters, SERT, Rinehart TDs.

Current setup: 95" HD cyl, SE Perf heads, Woods TW5G Cams, Smith Bros Racing pushrods, Comp lifters, Roller rockers, SERT, Rinehart TDs.

I went with the Woods gear drive TW5G's because it was recommended by HDWRENCH and Doc to work perfectly with my SE Performance heads. The reason in doing the whole switch to gear drives is because my inner tensioner started making noise and was wearing/failing prematurely after 20k miles.

I highly recommend getting the roller rockers because of the cams lift. I noticed I had some slight valve stem wear with the SE251's and stock rocker arms. And IMO, the dealer should have suggested going with rollers but didn't. And I didn't ask so.....

With this setup you will have to remove some material from the crank bearing boss with a Dremel and rotary file bit. You will also need to remove some material from the webbing on the rocker covers.

Bottom line, the TW5G just flat out pulls all the way through the rpm range as to where the SE251 didn't kick in till about 2800. The cam combined with the 3.37 gears just makes my Ultra haul azz. I love it and highly recommend it. And if you can, do the work yourself. I wish I had the first time. It was time consuming, but doing the gear drive and top end myself was pretty easy.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
If your cleaned up heads flow well to .600 lift and your spring lengths check out then the tw6hg will give you a lot more. The 6 is a little noisier though.

·
Live Long and Prosper
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After a long conversation with Bob Wood, I decided on the TW-5G. It suits my riding style since I am looking to increase my tq. and still have a reliable ride. The cams are on the way and I will report back in a few weeks as to the outcome. I am busy and working out of town. Thanks to all of you who responded to this post, this is a great forum when one has unanswered questions. Wish me luck! Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts