V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Please: I'd like some additional lighting for night rides on my Super Glide. Dealer was pushing fog lights; the catalog also shows passing lamps; other postings have talked about Kuryaken bullets. I'm putting on engine safety bars. Thoughts please. Steve

·
Registered
458 Posts
I thing the passing lights on a bar like a bagger would look the best.
And they work good too, light up to the sides and up close real good. They do a good job of filling in what the headlight misses.
I think fog lights would be to low to do much good. There more for lighting the road itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks IronButt-- Do the passing lights tend to illuminate the left and right sides, rather than the front?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I added a Tri-Bar Headlight. I like the looks and it is much brighter than the stock light. This picture is not my bike, but it is a Tri-Bar Headlight. I think it comes from Gary's Custom Lights, but it is in the Drag Specialties Catalog. I had mine put on at delivery by the dealer. About $130 with a 55/100w halogen bulb.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
If you really want additional lighting and not a gimmick go for HID lighting !!! High Intensity Discharge lighting is expensive(about $500.00) but the only real increase in output, Do an internet search on motorcycle HID...Also no additional lights or brackets to clutter up the lines of your bike..........just my 2cents !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I had the xenon lights added to both the main light and the passing lamps on my road king (blue bulb, white light). The main headlight, on brights, is far brighter than anything I have ever had (imcluding cars). I can ride 80 mph out on the desert highway at night and not outride the light. I do not remember the cost, but not $500. maybe 200 or so? I dont remember it being 500 even including the passing lamps. I believe they 1st changed the headlight bulb bucket to accept a removable bulb, plus the HID bulb. (not sure if this is the same kit refered to above, I got the idea from JimmyK several months ago).

On my other 2 bikes (w/o passing lamps) I have added PIAA lights on one and MOTO lights on the other. Both are excellent. MOTO lights has recent adds for Harleys, fit on the crash bars, although a Super Glide probably doesn't have one?

I would absolutley agree w/ Thealien that the 1st step is to get the xenon headlight. Then add more if you like.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Good place to start....

Fits all models (except FLSTC, FLSTF and VRSC models).

67074-02

MSRP US $36.95

This is the Performance Headlight Bulb. Forty bucks and it is brighter and lasts longer than the sealed beam stock.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
HID needs a ballast to work and is not just a bulb, I also run PIAA super brights and they are an improvement over stock. Many high end cars and bikes run HID's they are twice as bright as any bulb, do a search on HID. I ride a road glide with two headlights and it would be 1100 dollars to install HID headlights in..

·
Registered
458 Posts
stevek said:
Thanks IronButt-- Do the passing lights tend to illuminate the left and right sides, rather than the front?
It all depends on the bulb you have in and how there adjusted.
The stock bulbs light up about the same as low beam but you can adjust them more to the sides than the headlight to catch the shoulder and ditches more.
With all the deer around here its a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts