V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I was browsing around the dealership today and sat on a new Deluxe. I noticed the clutch was much less stressful on the hand. I spoke with a parts guy and he said there's a kit (I forgot what he called it...it's about $50) I can buy to reduce the tension at the clutch lever on my 05 FLHRSI. My question is, has anyone here done this with their ride and is it easy to install?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
It's just a lighter clutch spring and ball and ramp assembly. You have to take off the exhaust to do the new ball and ramp. I just put the lighter spring in my wifes flstc and that was enough. Will do the other next time exhaust is removed, although I don;t think it is needed.
cig

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
cig said:
It's just a lighter clutch spring and ball and ramp assembly. You have to take off the exhaust to do the new ball and ramp. I just put the lighter spring in my wifes flstc and that was enough. Will do the other next time exhaust is removed, although I don;t think it is needed.
cig

Actually, I disagree. I think the ball and ramp gives more of the difference than just the spring. But hey, I could be wrong there.

Regardless.... the kit won't quite give you the feel of the newer bikes. The 6 speed transmissions call for a different cable (longer inner cable length), they changed the liner to something slicker which gives less friction. Haven't seen them come out with the same thing for those of us with older bikes (I have an 05 also).

·
Registered
727 Posts
mcbean. I put one in the wifes '00 fatboy. Very easy to do, and well worth it.
Yes, if you decide to do this, change the ramps. As long as I was draining the gearbox to do this, I filled it with redline heavy. Might not be a bad idea.
Just sayin'

dzlfitr

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
I put a White Brothers easy pull kit on my Night Train. No spring change was involved. It is very simple and it bolts to the ramp side. It's easier to pull than the new bikes now. It also cost $21.00.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
WEINERDOGBONE said:
I put a White Brothers easy pull kit on my Night Train. No spring change was involved. It is very simple and it bolts to the ramp side. It's easier to pull than the new bikes now. It also cost $21.00.
Bikers choice makes this same option. I've installed it in two bikes and it worked great and was not a problem to install.

·
Registered
75 Posts
lighterclutch

My last bike was an 01' wide glide. I installed th HD version took about 30 min including coffee. much improvement over original

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
The police bike clutches have an extra cplate or 2 and are also have a very easy pull. Some low speed training uses the clutch as a throttle. They seem to be easy, but they do perform.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
ChopperDude said:
they changed the liner to something slicker which gives less friction. Haven't seen them come out with the same thing for those of us with older bikes (I have an 05 also).
Barnett has a teflon? lined cable, they claim it reduces effort. This winter hope to put new cable on my 07, before one fails at a bad time. Also good excuse to go braided.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies. I'll check out the White Bros and Biker's Choice versions and will compare to Harley's version. If White Bros version is $21, that's a good start. I was quoted around $50 for the Harley version.
I'll keep you posted on what version I went with and how the install went.
Any special tools needed?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My dealer sold me an MRC clutch kit. He claimed it was way better than H.D.'s. Anybody out there using one?? Read good reviews on some different sites. Only down side is $110.:hmmm: :hmmm:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Put the white bors on my wife's 05 dyna. Other than my inability to thread a screw, it works great. Did have to grind the lead end of the cable a little to get it to fit, but lead would shave with a knife almost as easily if you had to.

She loves it. Has xxxsmall hands. Usually gets her gloves from the kids section. So the lighter pull was important to her.

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
I have a 95" build, so I really don't want to put in a lighter spring....

So, is it viable to get the Harley kit, just use the ramps, and add the White Bros hook to it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After looking at all the versions available to lighten the clutch pull, I will be trying the White Bros. version.
Are there any vendors on here that carry this unit?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
mcbean7 said:
After looking at all the versions available to lighten the clutch pull, I will be trying the White Bros. version.
Are there any vendors on here that carry this unit?
Got mine from M&M. Seems to work fine, have had it on for couple of years, I have the SE spring and the aim VP clutch kit also. Easy to pull and always locks up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts