V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I finally got my 12 volt lighter installed. It works well and looks okay to me. I also decided to install an auxilary receptical for charging the ole cell phone for those camping trips without 110 volt. It's funny how something so simple like a lighter like the one I've been using for years in my car can seem like such a novelty item on a bike. I went for a little drive on the highway the other day and must have smoked half a pack just playing with the lighter. LOL

This picture is kinda bad and fuzzy but you can see what they look like.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Wiring

I like the lighter and accessory power outlet. I am a smoker also and you may have provided me a solution. I have a question regarding wiring that may belong with my other post regarding the Kuryakyn lights. I did order the lights and their Web Site instructions say to tap into either the running light wire or the turn signal wire depending on which you want. They sell the module that will allow them to work as both but I just want the running lights. My question is what is the best method to tap into the wire? I've used the type for automobiles that just 'crimp' into both wires but I don't think that would be adequate for a bike given the vibration and moisture. Also, how did you hide/route the wires. Thanks.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Re: Sure...

GROUCHO said:
I enjoy a smoke when I'm riding too...Question is....How can ya keep from catching your beard on fire!!
Bwaahaaa....... I have a beard also. You have to employ the 70's technique. Light the doobie, instead of your beard........ Ooops, I mean cigarette.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dawg, first of all you beat me to the punch with that remark for groucho. LOL

I don't usually use those plastic hinged fold-over both wire connectors although they have come with quite a few accessories over the years. Of course the most trouble free connection for permanent installation is usually soldering the wires and using heat shrink tubing. I don't always do that but I locate the connection in a place out of the direct elements such as in the headlight shell or under the tank etc. Sometimes I use the crimp barrel connectors and I usually seal the ends after crimping with silicon and then the heat shrink tubing. I've had very good luck with that technique and haven't been stranded with corroded wires or loose connections using that method. As far as routing wires I try to stay with the exsisting wire routes maybe adding a zip tie here and there utilizing some of the stock wire fasteners etc.

It sounds like the lights that you have ordered will tie into the headlight similar to what mine did. I made the splice in the headlight shell. It should have it's own direct power wire to a source(battery, fusebox, or breaker)maybe even coming with a little wiring harness. As we've talked about in other threads using the headlight wire only for power could cause problems with too much added load. I bet your wire splice to the headlight just gives you a choice of having them cut off on high beam or low beam which ever you prefer. I guess you'll find out when you get them. Let us know.

Later,

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Thanks FifthGear. Having dealt with Lucas electrics on British bikes I may be a bit more cautious than necessary. Soldering is the way to go but I'm way too old and lazy. I do have a bunch of that O.D. tape from the Army that NASCAR could build a car with but green a'int cool on a Harley. Thanks for the advice. Do ye reckon HD sells a chrome wire splice fer bout thirdy dollers????

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dawg said:
Do ye reckon HD sells a chrome wire splice fer bout thirdy dollers????
If HD sells them you can bet that they are more than $30. :D . Hey, J&P Cycles sells chrome zip ties though....no sh*t. LOL

By the way.....what I call barrel connectors are really called butt connectors.

·
Registered
380 Posts
but conectors

Hey 5th gear try going to the local GM dealer and get the butt connector used for AIR bag wiring repaires, they have a plastic that you can melt with the wifes hair dryer . after you crimp the 2 wires together you just heat it up with the dryer untill the center melts out to the end and it is sealed from the weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts