V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hey people, that Jim's 131 is a race motor. Lasting for 10000 miles was probably of little or no consideration when it was designed and built.

It had one job, make as much power as possible, till it breaks.

Go buy a SB2 from Hendrick's and put it in your cruising car. See what they have to say about it when something craps out after 1000 miles.
The reason why so many Boss 429 mustangs were around with very low miles also...

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
The reason why so many Boss 429 mustangs were around with very low miles also...
Back when I was still just washing parts, people who raced high end (or cheated in sportsmen classes) replaced roller tappets on a regular basis. Drag motors and sportsman roundy round would run a season on a set, or till the motor broke. Of course they then sold those tappets to cash challenged racers and street boys who though it made them bad asses to have roller cams in their hot rods.

People who raced for a living, avoided roller tappets if possible. They preferred flat tappets or when higher lifts were required, mushroom tappets.

The newer tappets with pressurized roller oiling are a result of failures too. GM's marine engines were having tappet roller failures. And the oil port was their solution to the higher lift cams and stronger springs killing the tappets.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Uugghh that sucks... Hope it works out for you. Clean that thing out as best you can. It would be worth tearing down for the cleaning and go through everything.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Back when I was still just washing parts, people who raced high end (or cheated in sportsmen classes) replaced roller tappets on a regular basis. Drag motors and sportsman roundy round would run a season on a set, or till the motor broke. Of course they then sold those tappets to cash challenged racers and street boys who though it made them bad asses to have roller cams in their hot rods.

People who raced for a living, avoided roller tappets if possible. They preferred flat tappets or when higher lifts were required, mushroom tappets.

The newer tappets with pressurized roller oiling are a result of failures too. GM's marine engines were having tappet roller failures. And the oil port was their solution to the higher lift cams and stronger springs killing the tappets.
I wasn't just talking about lifters in the Boss 429 engines.. My understanding is it was a race engine and not designed for longevity on the street... Remember it was the late 60's/early 70's....They didn't call it the Muscle era for nothin.... I came across multiple Boss 429's MANY years ago that were not running with low miles.... Yeah, I know wish they were mine now.....

·
Registered
11,254 Posts

What was that engine you put in that boat you had?

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
I wasn't just talking about lifters in the Boss 429 engines.. My understanding is it was a race engine and not designed for longevity on the street... Remember it was the late 60's/early 70's....They didn't call it the Muscle era for nothin.... I came across multiple Boss 429's MANY years ago that were not running with low miles.... Yeah, I know wish they were mine now.....
They came with whatever warranty Ford was offering at the time, but they were not intended for timid people. All of those big horsepower motors were capable of killing themselves, and in the hands of rich boys, they often did just that. I can remember people buying engines from GM back then and tearing them to pieces right off of the pallet. Replacing or reworking 90% of the brand new motor.

I never saw a 429 Ford Hemi in a production car until it was 25 years old. Ford always built their big motors in very limited numbers, just enough to satisfy the sanctioning bodies they raced under. Chevy just took the motors they already had in production and made them run with bolt on pieces. Pontiac and Olds hi/po motors were so rare you never saw them except in sponsored cars at the track. Hemi's were pretty plentiful, but the 383's and 413's were what you saw the most of.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
And the 440's. No where near as prevalent as the 383's, but still a few.
The 440's never had anything close to the reputation of the 426 or 383. Probably because they were never really offered in any sort of package that competed directly against the 426. And the vast majority of them were boat anchors in big land yachts. The 383 made about the same power, but they were easy to be found. Lots of Mopars where built with 383's

The high water mark for the 440 was the six pack motor. But it cost almost as much as a hemi and only made 390 HP. At a time when the competition was advertising 425 - 435 - 450 horse power.

Other than the 426, the Mopar motor to fear was the old 413 wedge. Them ugly old cars would spank you if you took them lightly.

What people forget is that we didn't have any street tires back then that would hook a 425hp motor up. It was the little motors that ruled on Saturday night.

·
Registered
16,426 Posts
The 440's I've seen were in GTX's, Chargers and one Coronet Super Bee. They had PLENTY of torque.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Back in those days lots of people were afraid of multiple carbs, or they fiddled with them all the time. I had to redo a lot of them back then. I ran Mopars and loved tunnel rams, until I started playing with stack injection. 340's were foolers that ran really well, 383's thought they were a small block Chevy, I had one that lived at 7200 rpm and wasn't happy under 3500 rpm. 440's were torque monsters and ran better when only spun to around 6600 rpm. Hemi's held a special place in the heart. With a tunnel ram and a pair of 1050 Dominators, with lighter rods and pistons, 8200 - 8800 rpm and sometimes even more. Going to stack injection and alcohol opened a whole new world (and brought out the naysayers until they were paired against me).

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The 440's I've seen were in GTX's, Chargers and one Coronet Super Bee. They had PLENTY of torque.
The GTX and the R/T came standard with 440/375 HP engines..383 was NOT available in them.. The only option was the 426...... Road runners came with a 383, 440's were NOT available except in the A12 optioned cars ( six pack cars).. The "land Yacht" 440's had smaller valve heads, smaller cams and smaller carbs with a lower horsepower rating....
The car in the pic has its original 440/Torqueflight.. I have owned it for 30 years..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I beat this picture to death, so forgive me..It is the only picture of this car I have and the only reason for it is my friend left his camera in my car and I pulled over on my way to school one morning and took this pic.. Not a camera buff in my youth.... It was my car my JR/SR year in High School and for a few months in college
While the 426 Hemi did have more potential than the 440 six pack cars, rarely were they running at there best on the street as most were out of tune due to the dual Carter 4 barrels and just because most people did not know how to tune them correctly or well..... Were talking street light to street light...
The 440 six pack cars ( A12 check on the option list) ( RoadRunner or Super Bee) were easier to keep in tune, supposedly, and were usually a faster car on the street due to that...
The Six pack cars came with 440, Tri power ( 3 two barrel Holley's) Fiberglass lift off hood, Hemi 18 spline 4 speed. 4 Speed cars came with a 9 3/4 Dana 410 rear differential....
In 1974 I was trying to go to college and this car was just not gonna work, I traded it in on a super beetle.. The dealer gave me $700 trade in value..... LOL

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I just opened this thread. I have no real interest in Twinkies but saw alot of activity so stopped to check it out. Jeez, some nice cars here. Did somebody say GTX 440 6-pack? Mine from long ago

Traded this Cordoba to get my FXR

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I just opened this thread. I have no real interest in Twinkies but saw alot of activity so stopped to check it out. Jeez, some nice cars here. Did somebody say GTX 440 6-pack? Mine from long ago

Traded this Cordoba to get my FXR

How did you fit the tri power under your stock hood?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I only have a bad pic of the motor and the air cleaner is off but I will try to find it. I bought the car from my friend who was a mechanic that did all the work except paint. The air filter was a hand built thing that was only about 2 or 2 1/2 inches tall but a had a big diameter for air in. Basically two 1/8" aluminum flat pieces that sandwiched a filter.The aluminum was cut the same diameter as the filter, so the filter edge was exposed all the way around.
Adjustable linkage for the two end carbs. Not vacuum actuated.

Meanwhile here's some even worse pics haha!
I'll look for the crappy Polaroid engine picture too.
Ain't it funny how valuable these sh!tty ol' pics are to us?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
...and here's a bad pic of the the Trip's. I don't have any with the air cleaner.
It had highway gearing and it could walk away from other cars at a buck twenty. I remember that valve cover breather cap would just about get blown off and kinda dangling after high speed runs. Heavy breather.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well....update to the original thread.

engine ran again for the first time today. No odd noises yet and oil pressure is good, ran it for 5-10 min then dumped that set of oil and pulled that filter. Going for a road test soon, will probably dump the next oil after a couple hundred miles then go back to normally scheduled programming.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts