V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So had a hot piece of garbage known as Jim's Powerglide II lifters completely fail. Scored the oil pump.

Engine is a Jim's 131" made it about 5000 miles.

Tear the entire motor down or do as much as possible to clean it out and run it?

IMG_20200327_204010.jpg
IMG_20200327_191247.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
Bearings are all suspect from now on. I would tear it down.Oil pan/tank need cleaned also.How do the lifter bore(s) look?
If it is a relatively stock engine the Harley Reman.Program is an alternative.The largest drawback with that is they only warranty it if a dealer does the work.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
a complete tear down is advised,,,, repair or replace as. necessary,, it the lifter bore is scored,,, I would probably advise upgrading the entire engine

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Yup, sad thing is you have no guarantee that shrapnel did not damage other areas
Best way forward is total rebuild or replace

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Man oh man, I feel for you... That was probably not what you hoped to see when you took it apart....

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I have sleeved the lifter bores and there are oversized lifters available if the bore is not too far gone. Then it is just a hone job to fix. Agree with all the other comments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do the lifter bore(s) look?
If it is a relatively stock engine the Harley Reman.Program is an alternative.
I would probably advise upgrading the entire engine
I have sleeved the lifter bores and there are oversized lifters available if the bore is not too far gone.
Bores looked ok but I'll check again once I'm back down at the shop.

It's a Jim's 131 crate engine, had good comp/leak down before I found out this was the issue.

·
Registered
328 Posts
So had a hot piece of garbage known as Jim's Powerglide II lifters completely fail. Scored the oil pump.

Tear the entire motor down or do as much as possible to clean it out and run it?

View attachment 264655 View attachment 264656

Send that lifter to Jim Theisen via signature registered mail. I did and he sent me a set of his new lifters with the bushing instead of bearings for free.

·
Super Moderator
20,091 Posts
Is it still under warranty? If so, call them. If not, Call them anyway.

This is only the third Jims 131 that I have seen in use out in the world. And all three of them came to be known to me because they FUBAR'd a tappet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Send that lifter to Jim Theisen via signature registered mail. I did and he sent me a set of his new lifters with the bushing instead of bearings for free.
I need lifters, rear cylinder cam, complete oil pump assembly and probably more at this point. I'll send him all of if.

Is it still under warranty? If so, call them. If not, Call them anyway.

This is only the third Jims 131 that I have seen in use out in the world. And all three of them came to be known to me because they FUBAR'd a tappet.
I left them a message, will call again during the week. It made it almost 5000 miles lol, cruising miles by the way never abused.

·
Super Moderator
20,091 Posts
I need lifters, rear cylinder cam, complete oil pump assembly and probably more at this point. I'll send him all of if.

I left them a message, will call again during the week. It made it almost 5000 miles lol, cruising miles by the way never abused.
Cruising is abuse on that motor. That motor is set up to race.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jims basically just told me they would re-man the engine for $3200ish, which includes new pistons etc. So I'm going to flush as best as possible and throw new parts in there and see how much longer it goes. If something else dies down the road then it can get re-man'd. If compression/leak down wasnt still solid maybe I would reman it.

Getting new:
AMS R lifters
SE Oil pump/cam plate
SE-263E Cams (Dropping a cam size from 266E's)
Cam inner bearings

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I dont care for Jim's products,,,
I've only bought tools way back,,, wrist pin bushing reamers to be exact,,, they all dream the holes undersize,,,, as in,, when the bushings are finished with Jim's tools,, they arent finished,,, had to take another ,half a thousandth out of the bushings.... to get that perfect fit.. junk top dollar plus garbage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Since getting into Harleys in 03, I've not heard anything good about JIMs. 5K miles on a 131 and wanting 3200 to fix it... Wow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since getting into Harleys in 03, I've not heard anything good about JIMs. 5K miles on a 131 and wanting 3200 to fix it... Wow.
The engine itself also cost about $10,000 :)

I bought the bike as a non-runner for a steal though so I'm not too hurt by all of this.

·
Super Moderator
20,091 Posts
Hey people, that Jim's 131 is a race motor. Lasting for 10000 miles was probably of little or no consideration when it was designed and built.

It had one job, make as much power as possible, till it breaks.

Go buy a SB2 from Hendrick's and put it in your cruising car. See what they have to say about it when something craps out after 1000 miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey people, that Jim's 131 is a race motor. Lasting for 10000 miles was probably of little or no consideration when it was designed and built.

It had one job, make as much power as possible, till it breaks.

Go buy a SB2 from Hendrick's and put it in your cruising car. See what they have to say about it when something craps out after 1000 miles.

I dont expect any warranty on it, complete lifter failure is just kind of lame. They have changed the design of the roller so I would assume they knew they weren't trustworthy.

Besides that it's still at like 175/175 PSI and less than 10% leak down.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts