V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the binder clip to hold lifters in place is a joke. Maybe I was doing it wrong but I couldnt find a good place to hook on to. Thought I had it so they would stay put, but while pulling the inner cam bearings both outside lifters slid all the way out. I know where each lifter came from, but I dont know which way they were facing as far as the oil holes go. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I didnt see any need to remove the lifters to do a cam swap. That is why I was trying to leave them in. Is this correct thinking or is there a reason I should remove them.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
The clips can be a bugger but they can work too they need to be pretty big. No need to take the lifters out in a cam swap. But the two outside lifters can slip down into the case. On my TC the oil holes are facing out or towards you if you are facing the motor. Somewhere in the manual it does refer to it and says they should face inboard. I dont own a boat so I am not sure about that statement. I always get confused when they say left or right too. Am I on the bike or facing the bike ? Anyway I am certain my oil hole face out away from the motor, all four lifters right from the factory. I have also been told it doesnt matter but I stuck with the way the came. Good Luck

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
That is what I thought but I am certain they all faced out from the factory.
Any feed back on that from anyone ??? I would hate to give someone the wrong advice. I have had two cams in my bike SE-211 and now the TW-5G
I didnt take my lifters out the first time using the clip to hold in place. But I did look at the oil holes. This second time I replaced all of the lifters and looked at the holes as I took each one out they all faced out ?
Whats the scoop ?? Does it matter ??

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
I hope not as I just put 4 Cranes in with the oiling hole facing toward me.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Doesn't matter, the oil flows in the lifter channel that the feed hole is located in. On A Shovel Head it does matter and they face inboard, toward each other.
LAF your fine.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up I was thinking I was loosing my mind and I dont need much help with that. I was certain they were facing out on my TC:blink:

·
1,802 Posts
Thanks Doc. It is nice to have affirmation on a little detail like this.

I did pay attention the factory's were facing out, the Jim's I replaced were facing out, so the Cranes are facing out. I don't see how it would matter in the Twin Cam and the only other HD motor I was in was an Evo Sportster and it did not matter there.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Your welcome LAF, as long as the lifter has the channel for oil to flow around your ok.....if you all don't have LOUD lifter noise then it must be getting oil. A liftert with no oil will scare most anyone with the noise it makes.....right LAF!
The Shovel Head lifter doesn't have a channel around it...the lifter has a FLAT side with the feed hole on the flat.....this flat side MUST line up with the oil feed holes in the lifter blocks which face each other in the center (inboard)

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful you guys can be to someone who doesnt know what they are doing. It is very much appreciated.

Thanks Again

·
1,802 Posts
Doc,
Still stinging from that loud lifter noise, still wake up in cold sweats hearing that jack hammering sound. then I realize I am home and my bike is in the car port under her Nelson Rigg cover and all is well, it was just a stupid dream, or was it? ^rolleyez^

·
1,802 Posts
HarleyHeevo said:
LAF

What are the Cranes you are running?
HDWRENCH hooked me up, pm or call him and he can give you details. I don't even know how much the damn things cost. I needed them and push rods in a hurry, called him, two days later I had them, he ALWAYS comes through for me.

Ohh and don't worry about not knowing, I did not know a lot and will never know enough. That is what the Forum is about. Learn every time I login, something that I did not know before.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
LAF said:
HDWRENCH hooked me up, pm or call him and he can give you details. I don't even know how much the damn things cost. I needed them and push rods in a hurry, called him, two days later I had them, he ALWAYS comes through for me.

Ohh and don't worry about not knowing, I did not know a lot and will never know enough. That is what the Forum is about. Learn every time I login, something that I did not know before.
:roflback: :roflback: #@SasF# :roflback:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts